I am so sorry little Dukey, please forgive me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just killed my baby beardie and it is totally my fault.
I loved him so much.
He was six months old. He only got to eat one roach before he died.

I have three beardies, two babies, male/female, and an adult male.
I was so stupid, and I will never be able to forgive myself.

I wanted to see if the baby and the adult would recognize each other as other dragons. They can see each other every day from their tanks. I almost cant get through telling this story again.

I had my whole hand wrapped all the way around the adults body and had him rested on the couch. I was making sure he coulnt move at all. They were about 8 inches apart or more.
No recognition. They acted as if each other wasnt there. I was staring at them for about a minute, never taking my eyes off them.
All the sudden, the adults tongue came out and he lurched at Dukie and somehow got him.
It happened in litterally a second in time and I couldnt even pull him away fast enough. He bit his whole head hard and I saw the whole thing. I was trying to get him to let go and it only lasted for a second or more but it was too late.
He died in my hand.
I was screaming and crying and telling him I was so sorry and how could this be happening.

I can't beleive I did this.
Please don't judge me. I thought I could prevent anything from occuring but nature is so powerful. He just thought he was food.
I hate myself.
If I could only change that minute in time he would still be alive.

I couldnt sleep. I spent all night in shock and wanting to just die.

Im so sorry Dukey. Please forgive me.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Sorry for your loss.I know how much you must be hurting right now.As you said it is their nature and its a terrible lesson to have to learn this way.If it happened as fast as you say then take some solace in knowing that he proabably didnt feel any pain.Please dont take it out on your big guy he was only acting on instinct.Once again sorry for your loss.
RIP Dukey

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
01cc20281329.gif
I can only imagine how you must feel.
01cc20281329.gif
Sorry for your loss.
01cc20281329.gif

Rest In Peace Little One.
rainbow-bridge.jpg

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
You shouldent blame yourself. It was a stupid mistake, and you know know to never do that again. Your little guy is now running around in hevan, and he forgives you, because he knows its not your fault. :( It is sad, and im sorry.

valkener

A mistake that probably taught you a lot about animal behavior. It was a quick death for him, but sorry to hear that he is gone now! Best of luck to you mate.

Angiecountrygirl

Juvie Member
That is so very, very sad. I'm so sorry about Dukey. :cry:

*** Hopefully something possitive can come out of this, if someone is thinking it's okay to let adult beardies near juvinile beardies they will think twice, and this will not happen to another beardie. ***

Although it wasn't the brightest idea, you had good intentions - so don't blame yourself (it happened quickly, and I'm sure Dukey didn't suffer). As for your adult beardie- it is their instinct, and above all- they are territorial w/ other dragons and will try to dominate- it's nature... so don't blame the big guy either.

I hope your hurt and guilt goes away- again, you didn't mean for that too happen- so DON'T blame yourself, it was a mistake. :cry:

God Bless Dukey- R.I.P. little guy! :cry:

halicouple

My thoughts and prayers go out to Dukey, as for yourself, it was a mistake... or, as I like to call them, a learning experience!!

This will be a good reference to any others trying to house beardies together!!

** hugs **

bigdave

I know every one else has said it but I truly am sorry to hear of your loss and just so you know your story has saved another life , I was thinking of introduceing my juvie and my subjuvie to one another the same way thank you for your story it helped me from makeing the same mistake :cry: :cry: :(

TheWaveCarver

Hatchling Member
everybody makes mistakes here and there. think of this as a learning experience. im sure Dukey forgives and that he is in an even better place. Still love the bearded dragon that caused the accident because he was only acting on instinct.

X0lnm0X

not your fault, you didn't know it would happen.. don't be so hard on yourself... RIP little guy... :[ sorry for your loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom