Cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmodane

So I'm a new beardie owner and I've been trying to find out what my lil guy will eat for veggies.... so far all I've really seen him eat and noticed that he will eat is squash... I've tried Kale, collard greens mustard greens dandelion greens and so far squash is all I have seen, I have been putting some squash kale and collard greens in a lil food dish all seperated that way he can pick what he wants... do I put in the stems or hard parts? just the leaves? I've been doing both... Also I am thinking he only likes the harder more firm foods so was looking at Cactus pads? or Prickly Pear cactus? but Not really 100% sure on what it is or where to get that kind of stuff.... Any help? Thanks in advance

azmodane

Original Poster
Been there just dunno where to pick up Prickly Pear or cactus pads... that something I can just buy from like a food store or is it like a legit cactus that I cut off the pokey guys and feed him?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
azmodane":b43ac said:
Been there just dunno where to pick up Prickly Pear or cactus pads... that something I can just buy from like a food store or is it like a legit cactus that I cut off the pokey guys and feed him?

Apologies, I misread your post. :? As to how to acquire these items, I too am at a loss. I wonder if it's more readily available in places where they grow, farmers market or some such?? Perhaps someone else will happen along and have a better suggestion.

Oh, I did want to mention as to leave in hard/stem parts, I think it just depends on your dragon. I usually try to make the pieces as soft as possible as this is what our dragon seems to prefer, but I imagine it's varies widely from dragon to dragon.

Em

pl4life52

Hatchling Member
i bought cactus or also known as nopale but she didnt not really like it but i did find mine at a spanish grocery store which is where it is called nopales so you guys can try to get it there
good luck

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
I bought mine online, it's super cheap and lasts FORVER in the fridge. With my last batch the guy even sent me my own little cactus plant so hopefully it'll grow big enough to where I can start producing my own cactus.

If you want to info of who I got mine from just PM me, I'm not sure if we're supposed to be advertising for others on here.

bluesoda025

Hatchling Member
Hm.. I see them quite often here, and I live in Vancouver, BC. I always see them at just normal grocery stores, like Super Store, maybe even Safeway... In fact, I just bought one yesterday since I saw that they're a good staple on the beautiful dragons chart.
Also, one tip that I have for you is.. do not handle with bare hands if possible! I learned this the hard way. They may not look prickly at the store, but there's a ton of tiny, tiny micro spikes, and I got like 2-3 slivers yesterday when I was handling them at the store. Those tiny slivers are white, which makes them even harder to see!

gini

Sub-Adult Member
I just started feeding this to my beardies. They love it!!!! I found it at a local produce store here. It looks just like the same stuff I grow in my yard. My uncle gave me a petal about 5 years ago and told me just to put in on the dirt. I live in Michigan and the thing gets bigger every year and has pretty flowers. I'll have to ask if it is the same, I don't remember what he called it when he gave it to me...

This stuff does last forever. What I do is cut it in strips and then cut off the little spikes. Then dice it from there. I tried shredding it first, let me just say it is the messiest way to do it! It is really slimy. My guys just like it diced with the spikes cut off. I then throw the rest in the fridge in a baggie.

azmodane

Original Poster
Awesome thanks yes that definitely does help I wasn't sure if I was looking for like a real cactus or what haha but now I have an idea now just to order some :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom