Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
dittmansbeardie":d6cd1 said:
Do you keep the probes in the tank all the time?

Yes. I leave the main unit on the cool side so that it's always gauging the humidity in the tank. If I'm not gauging basking or ambient temps, I leave the probe end next to the main unit and that gives me a temp for the cool side of the tank, that I can refer to.

If room conditions/temps are fairly consistent, I gauge the different temps in the tank (basking, ambient, cool side) every few days or so. However, if room temps are fluctuating, I make sure to gauge temps (esp. basking) more often, daily if possible.

If you're going to be installing a MVB (as you mentioned in your PM), you will want to watch temps VERY closely for he period of 4-5 days as MVBs have a burn in period. First, recognize the minimum distance requirements (12 inches for 100-125w, 18 inches for a 160w), and from there place the bulb at a distance that gives you proper basking temps. Adjust the bulb according to what the digital with probe if reading. Temps should level out by the fourth day of MVB use.

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
No such a thing as a stupid question around here. All this husbandry set up information is a lot to take in at first... been there done that. :)

In answer, YES. That was what I meant by "main unit." :) Technically, I suppose you don't have to put it in the tank, but it does have a built in hygrometer so having it in the tank will allow you to monitor humidity at all times. I place the display unit on the cool side of the tank.

I trust you were able to find the thermometer ok then?

I replied to your PM earlier today. Let me know on the questions as to tank size and so on and we'll get ya all set up! :D

Em

dittmansbeardie

Original Poster
YesI found the correct thermometer, and as you stated the other themometer I was usin is about 25 degrees off, thank you! As for the other questions you had asked, its a 40g tank, he is about 8-10 inches long, I dont understand about supplements am I suppose to be giving. I am feeding the crickets some kind of calcium enhancer before I feed them to mav. What is his poop suppose to look like? The white part isnt hard but isnt runny.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
dittmansbeardie":78851 said:
YesI found the correct thermometer, and as you stated the other themometer I was usin is about 25 degrees off, thank you! As for the other questions you had asked, its a 40g tank, he is about 8-10 inches long, I dont understand about supplements am I suppose to be giving. I am feeding the crickets some kind of calcium enhancer before I feed them to mav. What is his poop suppose to look like? The white part isnt hard but isnt runny.

Glad you were able to find the thermometer. You beardie thanks you for sure! I found the same thing with my dial when I first got the digital... what a relief to know I was finally going to be able to get the temps right. Let us know how your temps are running! :)

Great that you're using a 40g. The Solar Glo should nicely in there. :) (See my PM from yesterday for important installation information)

As to supplements, you will want to offer beardie calcium such as: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-health/105556/rep-cal-ultrafine-calcium-without-vitamin-d3.html 1 - 2 meals per week (just offer the vites on the days you don't offer calcium), prepare crickets in same way you prepare them with the calcium powder. It's fine to be feeding the crickets calcium in a premade form (most cricket food contains cal), but you need to offer your dragon calcium (and vites) directly as well. It's important to healthy growth, bone formation and strength, etc. If you don't choose the calcium in the link I provided, you need to make sure of TWO things: one, that the caclium is phosphorus FREE, and also that it does NOT contain D3. As I mentioned in my PM to you, with the increased UVB power of the MVB, your dragon will be producing D3 in his own, and so you don't want D3 in your calcium powder as too much D3 in the system can become toxic.

He sounds a good length for a young juvie! Here is a growth chart so you can track his growth: http://www.dachiu.com/beardeddragoncare/growthcharts.html.

I asked about the urate because it's the best way to gauge hydration. If the urate is soft and/or runny, your dragon is likely decently hydrated. If you find it hard or chalky, he needs more water, via bath usually, or dropper or dish IF he'll take it that way (many dragons will not, totally normal).

Lastly, want to link you to an excellent food resource list for dragons (do's, don'ts, and everything in between): http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html. It's color coded which makes it very easy to follow!

Ok, I think we've covered everything thus far. Please let me know how the temps shape up (remember the 45 minute rule :D ), and if you need help with the installing of the MVB. Post here on the thread, or feel free to PM me. Either way is fine.

The best, good luck and enjoy your dear beardie. :)

Em

dittmansbeardie

Original Poster
I just got back from the pet store, and went with a tube instead, because the didnt have any mvb bulbs, and I figured it would be better than the compact. i bought an 18 inch zilla fixture with a desert 50 uvb bulb. But it doesnt seem very bright is there a problem with the bulb? Also what should I do about uva now?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
dittmansbeardie":3c8f9 said:
I just got back from the pet store, and went with a tube instead, because the didnt have any mvb bulbs, and I figured it would be better than the compact. i bought an 18 inch zilla fixture with a desert 50 uvb bulb. But it doesnt seem very bright is there a problem with the bulb? Also what should I do about uva now?

I HIGHLY encourage you to RETURN the Zilla bulb. Like so many others, they have been associated with numerous health problems for beardies. There is a reason that we give very specific recommendations as to UVB bulbs here on the site. If you're going to go with tube lighting, you will want a ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE. Alternatively, you can go with A ReptiSun 5.0 TUBE, but they are only OK in terms of UVB output, so 10.0 is best. Here is a link to a great price on the ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html. Beardie is fine without UVB for a bit if you need to order and wait. Better NO UVB (temporarily) than poor UVB.

I should add, that it was a Desert Series 50 Compact bulb that did great disservice to our beardie, once upon a time, so you must excuse the bias... alas, I'm far from alone in having had a bad experience with this series of bulbs. *sigh*

You will of course need UVA/HEAT in the tank, and as mentioned before, you will want a BRIGHT WHITE basking bulb. In 40g tank, 100w is best.

Em

ETA: part about personal experience with Zilla

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
dittmansbeardie":7262b said:
So the bulb that came with the fixture is considered a compact?

I was referring to the Desert Series bulb that WE had trouble with, to make a point, that the lot of the Desert Series 50 bulbs have been troublesome. You didn't specify which one you picked up, but I can't recommend any of them. Which one did you purchase, just curious (long linear tube, compact or coil)?

Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Oh I wanted to ask also, earlier in the thread here you mentioned you were using a 29 gallon tank, however in your PM to me, you mentioned you were using a 40 gallon... the reason I thought it best to clarify is that on chance, you do decide to go with a MVB, the 29 gallon is not a sufficient size tank. Perhaps you've upgraded since your original post??

Thanks, Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
dittmansbeardie":7adaf said:
I have a 40 gallon that I am going to put him in once he gets bigger. Its a 18 inch linear tube.

Gotcha! Just wanted to make sure. :)

Again, as to the Zilla Desert Bulb, I can't recommend it. The Desert Series 50 has been troublesome all around. The ReptiSun 10.0 linear tube, the ReptiSun 5.0 linear tube (although not as good) are the only tubes I can recommend. Aside from that, the Mercury Vapor Bulbs: The MegaRay, The T-Rex and the Exo Terra Solar Glo. AVOID the ZooMed PowerSun, as it has had problems with it's latest issue.

The best,
Em

dittmansbeardie

Original Poster
Thank you, you have been a great help. I am learning a ton. I love bearded dragons they are more fun than anything I have owned yet. I am going to veterinarian school at the university of georgia fall of 2010, I have already been accepted, just pending my bachelors in general studies at FSU

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
dittmansbeardie":4ad1a said:
Thank you, you have been a great help. I am learning a ton. I love bearded dragons they are more fun than anything I have owned yet. I am going to veterinarian school at the university of georgia fall of 2010, I have already been accepted, just pending my bachelors in general studies at FSU

You're most welcome. Beardeds are very special indeed, however very particular in their care as you are probably learning! LOL They are well worth the effort though...

Best of luck at UG! :D

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom