How many crickets should I be feeding a adult bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have several adult bearded dragons. I was wondering how many crickets on average should a adult bearded dragon eat in one day? I know when they are adults they eat 80% veggies, and 20% crickets.... Please help, I would appreciate it so much!! let me know!! thanks so much!! I love this website!!!!!!!!!! :)

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hello :wave:

An adult beardie(1 1/2 years+) should be consuming between 30-50 bugs per week. You can dole out the bugs anyway you like: a few a day, more every other day, a bunch 2-3 times per week, whatever your dragon prefers. If your dragon is eating mainly crickets, up to 50 per week is fine. If you happen to use a feeder such as superworms at any time, closer to 30 is better, as they are a bit more rich.

Hope this helps a bit. :D

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Stigma":26346 said:
I feed my beardie as much as he will eat. :) Just feed em till they are full.

While this approach is perfectly acceptable (if not preferable) for babies and juveniles, it is not the case for adults. Full-sized adults really shouldn't be consuming more than 30-50 bugs per week, and while many dragons will restrain their own intake naturally (perhaps your dragon does this? :) ), some will not be so "self-restraining" and at full adult age/size, a beardie parent may need to make sure their dragon isn't getting more than he/she needs as this can lead to a dragon becoming overweight, and in subsequent worse case, fatty liver disease.

Just wanted to put that out there to allay any confusion. Apologies if I misunderstood your post. :)

The best,
Em

CZ4A

I have a dragon probably around 5 years old. He used to get about 40 crickets a week(Since he was about a year old all the way till a few months ago). Then I wanted to get away from crickets so he got 100 pheonix worms a week for a month or two. Now I'm feeding 50 pheonix worms and 25 superworms a week and think I'll be sticking to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom