How many crickets should I be feeding a adult bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have several adult bearded dragons. I was wondering how many crickets on average should a adult bearded dragon eat in one day? I know when they are adults they eat 80% veggies, and 20% crickets.... Please help, I would appreciate it so much!! let me know!! thanks so much!! I love this website!!!!!!!!!! :)

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hello :wave:

An adult beardie(1 1/2 years+) should be consuming between 30-50 bugs per week. You can dole out the bugs anyway you like: a few a day, more every other day, a bunch 2-3 times per week, whatever your dragon prefers. If your dragon is eating mainly crickets, up to 50 per week is fine. If you happen to use a feeder such as superworms at any time, closer to 30 is better, as they are a bit more rich.

Hope this helps a bit. :D

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Stigma":26346 said:
I feed my beardie as much as he will eat. :) Just feed em till they are full.

While this approach is perfectly acceptable (if not preferable) for babies and juveniles, it is not the case for adults. Full-sized adults really shouldn't be consuming more than 30-50 bugs per week, and while many dragons will restrain their own intake naturally (perhaps your dragon does this? :) ), some will not be so "self-restraining" and at full adult age/size, a beardie parent may need to make sure their dragon isn't getting more than he/she needs as this can lead to a dragon becoming overweight, and in subsequent worse case, fatty liver disease.

Just wanted to put that out there to allay any confusion. Apologies if I misunderstood your post. :)

The best,
Em

CZ4A

I have a dragon probably around 5 years old. He used to get about 40 crickets a week(Since he was about a year old all the way till a few months ago). Then I wanted to get away from crickets so he got 100 pheonix worms a week for a month or two. Now I'm feeding 50 pheonix worms and 25 superworms a week and think I'll be sticking to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom