Licking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treehorn

Hatchling Member
I am sure this is not a problem but I am curious about this new behavior.

Tonight before bedtime I took out my baby beardie and she kept licking at my fingers. Not biting, I have seen that from her and its different. When I put her back she licked her log a few times too.

She has been eating well. About an hour before this she ate a bunch of crix and left two. At the same time she drank some water from a medicine dropper (yes I spoil her).

Any thoughts. Just tasting? Hungry? Lazy biting?

FenixR

My dragon, Icarus, does it when he's hungry or if he's in an environment he's not used to seeing all the time. If someone new to him handles him- he likes to lick. I think it's just how they check stuff out and get to know where they are.

Treehorn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replys. They do some funny things.

I am sure she thinks the same about us humans.

Dagron

From what I have read the licking is usually part of two behaviours. The first is that they use it to check things out and gather info about objects kind of like a dog wanders around sniffing objects. The second is thought to be a part of territory marking, pretty much like little kids do when they lick something and proclaim it theirs. I was curious about it myself in my own beardy at first.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Lol mine does the whole licking thing too.
Scorch will lick EVERYTHING! Even things she already knows and has seen before.
Of course, when I put her somewhere new, she'll run around flicking her tongue out at everything several times. I think it is mostly a "what is this?" behavior.

Loganator

Juvie Member
I think we should have named our beardie "Sir Licks-a-lot", instead of Izzy! :D

A breeder once told me it's their way of "smelling" things.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
My husband wakes Scorch up most mornings and gives her a beard kiss and she usually licks him back.. Hehe

riceko

Hatchling Member
Vegas, just a quick question, is it sanitary to kiss a Beardie? Considering the salmonella risk and all...?

Rukii

Juvie Member
Both of mine lick EVERYTHING. I figured its their way of testing the new environment, much like a dog sniffs. But I still call them beardie kisses :love5:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom