My bearded Dragon Just Threw UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam

Hi everyone this is my first post and I just made my account so I am going to ask now! My baby bearded dragon named Jemma, that I have had for about two months has been very healthy. I will start with her tank. I bought her a 40 gallon tank equipped with a basking area, a hiding area, her bed or hammock, and food and water dishes. I am also housing her on paper towel. Her light is a mercury vapour bulb 100 watt. It is about 6 to 8 inches away from her. Ok now her food. I feed her 7 - 8 crickets a day! BTW her birthday is on July 17th. Anyways, I also feed her greens that are appropriate every single day, however I sometimes don't feed her greens. I just went to the vet about 3 weeks ago and she seemed to be fine until she puked this morning. Why did she puke? Can someone please help! I don't know why and I am really worried. I do not feed her worms so that can't be a problem and the crickets are so small that she could eat two at a time. I also cut her greens at the right length. I just don't know what is wrong/ Can you please help me!?

However, I was gone for about a day and a half. Yesterday my family and I went to visit family somewhere else in Arizona but it was too far to drive and by the time we got home it would be midnight so we stayed at a hotel. Well I didn't leave the light on for my dragon or my turtles because that last thing we needed was a fire in the house. Anyways, we left at noon or 1, so before we left I fed her some more crickets. I did leave my curtains open so she could get a little warm. I was so worried about her! I was having dreams at the hotel and everything. When we got home the next day at about 4:00 p.m., she was very black and she just finished shedding, however, when I got back she was really skinny. I thought oh ok she is just a little cold. So then I fed her and she ate fine and then this morning she threw up all her greens! She does poop on and even twice a day so she does have a fast metobilism!PLEASE HELP!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Most likely she has some food that was sitting in her stomach while she was cold and it started to go bad so she threw it up, I wouldn't worry unless she keeps doing it or appears sick in some other way.
You said your dragon is a baby and you are only feeding 7-8 crickets a day? Most babies will eat 50+ crickets a day!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I couldn't help but notice you said you were using a Mercury Vapor bulb and that it was 6 to 8 inches from your beardie???? Your MVB should be no closer than 12 inches from the basking spot. What brand MVB are you using?

Also you should be offering Jemma as many live feeders as she can eat in a 10 minute period about 3 times perday. Dusting one feeding per day with calcium without D3 (being your using a MVB) and dusting one feeding perday 2 days per week with the multivitamin. Baby and Juvenile beardies usually eat somewhere from 60 to 120 bugs perday.

It sounds like your Jemma may have had some food in her belly and by not having the light on wasn't able to digest it properly...without temps of 95* a beardie can not digest it's food properly. But that's just my guess.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I totally agree with the above diagnosis. I'm guessing you have the Mega 100w ? Yes, you do need to elevate that up to min 12 " from the basking area.
And, start bathing once every other day, if you aren't already... Those are some Seriously HOT bulbs ;)
Janie.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I totally agree too with the other posts. I also wanted to add that you should make sure that you're using either an infrared temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end to check the temps as those are the only 2 ways to get accurate readings. Any type of stick-on can be as much as 20 degrees off. How is Jemma acting now?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Good catch Diane. :wink:

Also I forgot something in my last post.....

Hello & Welcome to BD.org!

Look forward in seeing pic's.
waiting.gif

I asked about which MVB you are using because the PowerSun is the only other 100watt MVB that I know of other than the megaray and the PowerSun 100watt right now is experiencing some issues.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, I forgot to say WELCOME TO THE FORUM :oops:

Barbara, there's also the T-Rex MVB. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures too. :p :wink:

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
You have already gotten great advise from some of the most knowledgable people on here so all I have to say is.... Keep us updated and let us know how she is doing now. We worry about everybody's sick babies.

SamBam

Original Poster
VEGASLIZARD":fd203 said:
You have already gotten great advise from some of the most knowledgable people on here so all I have to say is.... Keep us updated and let us know how she is doing now. We worry about everybody's sick babies.

Hi everyone, I am so happy that everyone cares. I have never felt like this. I don't have crickets for her right now because I ran out and because they keep eating each other and I can't stop that from happening. However I am feeding her veggies. Turnip Greens from Fry's that I bought a couple of days ago. However I think this all happened because she was attacked by my Great Dane Dog! It took her in his mouth and I got her out and saved her life. So now she is very alert, and she seems to not like me, but our relationship has to grow. Well she is doing fine. She is basking and she ate just one bite of veggies. She is still really skinny. She wants to get out because she keeps getting on her hide and jumping. Does this mean she wants out?? Thanks everyone but thats how it is going!

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
You may want to try giving her some chicken baby food and butter nut squash. Beardies who are not feeling well will usually take baby food and if you do not have feeders right now the chicken will help provide some much needed protein. Just make sure that the lable says chicken only and doesn't have fillers like rice or anything else in it.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
When my beardies have upset tummies I give them some Plain Soy Yogurt it helps settle their tummies.

About the jumping what are your temps?

SamBam

Original Poster
fresnowitte":49f3a said:
When my beardies have upset tummies I give them some Plain Soy Yogurt it helps settle their tummies.

About the jumping what are your temps?

Hi my temps are on the basking area 100 and it is 12 inches away from my dragon. and on the cool side it is 85. She seems to be fine. I took her a bath and she relieved herself and seems to be very normal now. She isn't jumping anymore and she seems fine and agile. However, with the food. I am only 14 and I don't have a drivers license or anything like that and I am homeschooled so thats how I communicate. My mom and dad are at work too so....but she seems to be fine. However can somone post a picture of a 2 month old dragon so that I can compare!

Dannye92

Mine threw up to but mine through up for a completly diff reason. The very first time i got my beardie i fed it a few to many mealworms and it puked like 2 times. ( Iv learned my lesson ) What i have learned is when they do throw up bath them asap as they dehydrate very quickly after puking. This is vital as it will help them rehydrate. Also as someone may have mentioned - The temps could be slightly to cold so she doesnt quite warm up enough to feed. ( i doubt it but its just a thought ) Also if u can get a repti - glo 10.0 uva/uvb fluorescent bulb, they are probably the best bulbs u can get. About the basking area i just use a standard 50w ( In winter 100w ) bulb and it works perfectly, producing more than enough heat! hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom