What do different colors mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Extreme Poster
This is probably a stupid newby question, but Im really curious!
Ive notices that by baby beardie, Wink, changes his color alot. He can go from a really dark grayish/almost black color, to a really pretty sandy brown. What does it mean when he changes colors? He is usually a really dark color when he is in his tank, but when I take him out he always turns a tan color.
My best guess is that they are darker when they are cold so they can attract more sunlight, but I dont think it totally makes sense because temperature doesnt seem to always affect what color he is. Does it have something to do with their mood too?
Thanks!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yes, mood can affect colors, as do temps. Dark colors can be from trying to soak up more heat or from being upset. The lighter colors are usually from being warm/happy.

Lish

Yeah i was wondering the same thing but yesterday i noticed that when Mufasa turns green she is happy. She turns 4 different colors and i am still trying to figure it out. ( Sand, Brown, Green, and Orangish Red)
It is amazing the differences between different bearded dragons. No two are alike ! I got Mufasa as a rescue and she is blind but i would not give her up for the world. We named her Mufasa cause she is a mean little girl. But like i said i would not trade her for the world. :)

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ok, so I was half right! :D Haha
So when I bring Wink out and he turns lighter, that means hes happy? Awww, I feel so loved now!

Lish- Mufasa sounds really cute! Thats neat that she turns so many colors.
My beardie has eye issues too. He has an abscess in his right eye and he was gonna be put to sleep, but I saved him. I love him to death, he is such a sweetie with a huge personality!

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
I just recenly figured this out too ! When MJ is cold or too hot.. she's dark grey or dark brown. But when I take her out her viv to let her run around and play with me.. she's bright green with some orange ! lol its so cute. I noticed she's also colorful in her bath. Really weird because she hates baths but yet changes color. Hmmm maybe just being a brat ? lol

ddma

Juvie Member
mine hate thier baths too, but they do get very vibrant with color when they are in thier baths and for a little while after.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Take your beardie out in the sunlight for about 1-2 hours and just watch, cause you can almost see them change color!!

simboney7

Lish- How can she be so Pretty and be A MEAN LITTLE GIRL???? tell us a story about her meanness!! :twisted:

I have often wondered about the colors too, because when Spaz is dark, she seems to be colder when I pick her up. Of course, we live in Michigan, and it's almost always cold.

As for their baths, all three of mine love their baths. I use a clear sterilite show size storage container with just enough water to go to mid shoulder. I also use a soft bristled toothbrush and dip it in the water, and scrub (very gently front to back) their backs, sides, legs, under their chins, behind their ears. They seem to love it. We try to do it at least once a week.

Good luck!

simboney7

That's a good idea with the tooth brush maybe I will try that also. When we bath Ganja he looks around and twists his next up at us after only 2min and then starts jumping to try to get out. like get me the heck out of this water :banghead: , but then wants to be cuddled and loved..he is such a nut! maybe that will make him stay awhile longer. funny thing is I always catch him trying to swim in his lagoon in his viv. I am telling you he is a crack pot this one..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom