Yellow Fungus?!? Pictures included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I thought was another bad shed has stuck around for too long for comfort. It appears that she may have yellow fungus (possibly for the second time). A year or so ago in a completely different tank with loose substrate Obie's skin had some yellow patches on it. So I was told to treat it with anti fungal creme and regular baths with Novaslan solution. The problem seemed to go away. Currently she lives in a crossfire enclosure with slate tiles, two slate shelves at about 4 inches and about 7 inches. She has a Reptisun 10.0 bulb which she can get to be only a few inches away from. I'm using 2 40watt Halogen flood bulbs to provide the heat and her basking temperatures are great. She eats mostly greens as she is an adult and her greens are dusted with Dragon Dust ICB. Her behavior is otherwise normal.

Affected side:
http://img10.imageshack.us/i/img2336k.jpg/
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/img2344z.jpg/
http://img291.imageshack.us/i/img2345z.jpg/
http://img524.imageshack.us/i/img2339f.jpg/

Affected Foot/leg:
http://img41.imageshack.us/i/img2337m.jpg/
http://img41.imageshack.us/i/img2338y.jpg/
http://img198.imageshack.us/i/img2340u.jpg/

Other side of her body with normal coloration:
http://img291.imageshack.us/i/img2346.jpg/

What might be causing her to get this?
Should I simply act as I did before and apply anti fungal and regular baths?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
To me it looks like shed spots. I have never had to deal with yellow fungus. Others on this forum have. Type yellow fungus in the search box and info will be right there for you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That somewhat does look like yellow fungus. How long has she had those spots on her like that? Has she been on medication for prolonged periods of time? If she has been on medications, which ones has she been on?
She may have had internal fungal issues which do not clear up with external treatments unfortunately. I would recommend putting her on Itraconazole which is probably the best oral antifungal they can take. However, it needs to be cycled because it can be harsh on the system.
I would begin treatments again, with the novalsan & some witch hazel for astringent along with the lamisil or monistat cream or spray right now.
Can you get an overall picture of her from above?

Tracie

glitch_in_the_system

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Obie has never been on any medications. Spots have been there for maybe a month. I originally suspected a poor shed, but it seems that they arent going away. For the last few days I have been putting anti fungal creme (athletes foot type) after she receives a bath in diluted novaslan solution. Where would I pick up some witch hazel and possibly the oral meds? I will try and get a full body pick up tonight when I get back from work.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, I will look forward to the full body picture. The witch hazel is easily found at any drug store where the peroxide, & alcohol is found.
How long have you had her for, did she have any problems with that when you first got her?
How humid is the tank?
Is she housed alone then?
Sometimes they can pick it up from another dragon or too much humidity in the tank can cause mold issues, in general. Yellow fungus is a specific fungus. It would be nice if you could get a skin culture from one of the areas for a vet to get cultured just to confirm that is what it is. I am not sure what exactly could be causing her to get fungus other than a disruption of normal flora or too much humidity.
One other thing is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb needs to be 6-8 inches away from her, for safety. Is the basking light placed directly beside the UVB?

Tracie

glitch_in_the_system

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ive had Obie for 4 years, so she cant be older than 4.5 years. She was a rescue when I got her and has a an inch of tail missing and was impacted. After I got her through the impaction she has been healthy other than these yellow spots. She is housed alone. I dont have a hydrometer right now but the tank seems dry.

She is around 6 inches away from the uvb. Her lights are overhead and are angled towards the basking spot which the uvb is centered around. This is her enclosure before the reptisun was installed and the black is where the reptisun is located.

tank.gif

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Her tank looks great, no problem there.
If it is yellow fungus again, it has probably always been harboring internally from before you got her. Since she was a rescue, there is no telling the type of conditions that was in. She looks good now, but, it could be yellow fungus creeping out again.
The only true way to determine it is to get a skin culture done of the affected area to make an accurate diagnosis. Using the cream daily along with betadine baths will help, but, if she has internal fungus, it wont help it at all. She will need the oral antifungal treatment. Yellow fungus is extremely hard to get rid of.
She looks very healthy though, & of good weight. :D
How is her appetite?

Tracie

glitch_in_the_system

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She eats regularly and is always wanting more. I usually wake up and walk out to see her sitting by her food dish. Wouldn't there be some more dramatic signs of the fungus if she had it internally? I doubt she had it when I got her because it was almost 2 years after I got her that it first sprang up. Is there a good way to locate a reliable vet? I'm in Central Illinois and as far as I can tell there are no vets around here that specialize in reptiles or really anything besides dogs, cats, and livestock. I currently live down at school and in Bloomington there is only even one store that sell reptiles: the ever so evil Petco. Back were I'm from (Quad Cities), there were a lot more store and more local shops. I am less comfortable taking her to a vet that is unfamiliar with reptiles than I am treating her myself.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
Well, for now, I would just begin the external treatments to try & take care of the skin problems right now. Yes, technically she should be exhibiting illness or at least some form of lethargic behavior if she had internal fungus. I just want to cover all of the bases.
So, let's see if we can get her skin cleared up here pretty soon & we can go from there.
I am happy to hear that she is eating really well also, which means she must not be too ill.
I don't blame you for not wanting to take her to a vet that is not familiar with reptiles.

Let me know how she is doing.

Tracie

glitch_in_the_system

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Her patch on her side is mostly gone her stomach shed and that patch left with it. I will continue the treatments, but its looking like she is on the road to recovery.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news then! :D
Continue with the treatments for at least 1 month after you think that it is all cleared up, ok? It wont hurt her, but IF it is fungal, it is so stubborn & hard to get rid of.
Are you giving some probiotics too several times a week? That also might be a good idea for a little while just in case her normal flora is off for some reason.

Tracie

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
By the way for fungus I use tee tree oil. Had a bad case of nail and foot fungus all the nails were yellow and brown. Used Tee tree oil and the problem has almost completelly cleared up. I don't see why tee tree oil would not work on a bearded dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom