thing sticking out of vent? hemipenal plug? she really a he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
*warning about pics below - kinda gross pics)

So Evie took a giant poop yesterday after eating crickets the day before. Today I got home from work and Jason said "Evie has that poop thing again". The poop thing (see pics below) is a hard piece of something sticking out of her vent. It's happened once before - we thought it was a piece of oop stuck there, since it was thin, hard, and dark (looked like a piece of dried poop). Last time we gave her a bath, checked it, and it came out. She had no problems with it. This time it doesn't look the same - it's brownish to brownish-clear colored, but still hard. It didn't bother her when I touched it or tried to open her vent a bit to see what it was. And it didn't seem to bother her physically - she's still active and interested in food, acting like her normal self. We filled the tub and let her soak a bit, she jumped around and swam like normal, but the thing is still there. I'm not sure if I should try getting it out or what I should do. Could someone look at the pics below and let me know what they think? If forget the term for a bit of intestine that gets pushed out, but if it is that I need to know what to do and if I should rush her to a vet.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ummmmm she was vet checked last year (at a year old) and the vet said he was about 99 percent sure that she was a female

cricket119

Hatchling Member
Maybe you can pm a moderator. I heard of people talking about prolapsed something or other. And if it is it should be kept clean and moist i think. Wait for someone with experience to answer though. Good luck!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I could be wrong but it looks like a dried out sperm crusty.
Could also be a hemipenis but I doubt it it it comes off with a soaking.
Doesnt look like anytype of prolapse I have seen.
Then again I dont claim to know it all. Thats my wifes job...lol

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, I looked up prolapse and it doesn't look anything like that. But, another article mentioned hemipenal plugs - this (pic from the article) is almost what it looks like, but dry.
seminalplugs.jpg

THe article is here:
http://www.anapsid.org/seminalplugs.html

So if Evie is a boy and this is a stuck hemipenal plug, could anyone give me some info on what to do I rea to soak her and slowly work the plug out (that's what I did last time "she" had this)

And, could someone look at these pics and tell me if you see what I see in the tail sexing test (sorry for the pic quality, it doesn't show well with a flash and without the flash the pics turn blury)? Although Evie is a frilled dragon, the tail test works for them as well. I don't like violating "her" like this, but I think I need to know if my little girl is really a boy.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Looks Male. It was hard to make out without the tail bent back. Soak him and when you bend the tail back gently remove the plug.

Staz

I agree, definately looks like a little boy dragon you have there. Hope you get this sorted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
:D Evie is male, for sure!
That would be either a urate or seminal plug. Just soak him, & it should come out with either a very GENTLE pull OR with the next stool. It happens quite often with males. You just don't usually notice it because they are soft & come out looking stringy with the stool.
No worries, it will work its' way out, eventually. Pun intended! :lol:

Tracie

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yay, thank you for all the replies! So Evie (now I have to call him Everest, since Evie sounds girly) is a boy. Wow! And now I get the fun of a male in the house. He doesn't act like a male though - has no issues seeing his reflection (another male), doesn't react to Merlin other than arm waving. And Merlin has headbobbed at him when she weas out and saw him in his viv.

The seminal plug came out tonight - we soaked Evie last night, again this morning in his normal daily bath, and then again tonight. The plug turned softer after the baths and I was able to get t out - he didn't care at all and even ate some worms afterward. So he is doing great. The plug, once it was out, looked exactly like the seminal plug pics from online. And it's comletely out now, so no problems (until the next one). I have seen these in his poop before, and thought it was a dried urate - he has also "pooped" them out alone (again, I thought it was a small urate). And he ad one stuck once before, that came out (I thought that was a dried urate/left over poop that was stuck). LOL. It was gross before, but now all I can think is OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I TOUCHED THAT!!! :bleick: :puke:

So here's to male lizards and the fun I can likely expect with my little boy (it's funny because everyone says his body looks like that of a female, but this definatly says otherwise)!

utahraptr

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
lol his full name has been Everest (named because when we got him, his goal was to climb to the highest point in the house) But we called him Evie for short, kinda like a nickname. But I'll still likely refer to him as Evie, since I'm so used to it (it's hard to change)

Thats 2 lizards with fun names - we thought our beardie was a male and named it Merlin, only to find out Mer is a female. It was hard getting used to saying "she" and "her" (didn't help that the vet originally said female, then male at the next visit, then female, and then the last visit 100% sure female). And now we get to do it with Evie lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom