New meal ideas 8 weeks old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so my beardie is 8 weeks old and loves his crickets but im wondering if there is something else I can be feeding him at this age to change it up a bit. He is 7 and a half inches long weighs about 20 grams

SJM

Hatchling Member
Finding things other than crickets which are appropriately-sized and wont grow out of size fast for a beardie so young isn't the easiest thing. If I were you, I would just stick to crickets and veggies for now, and wait until he's bigger to add other insects into the mix.

If you really want, I would recommend phoenix worms and silk worms. If you live somewhere warm, they can grow really fast though. Also, silk worms can get pretty pricey. Beardies tend to jump for joy for phoenix worms.

I've heard of people feeding small locusts. If you did that I'd recommend posting a forum asking about where you can get healthy locusts, how big they should be, and how to care for them.

You could start raising your own colony of roaches, which people usually breed themselves. Get a big tub, egg cartons, throw female and male roaches in there, and eventually you'll have a breeding colony. The con is that unless you bought a ton of them, they'd take awhile to breed sufficiently to feed your dragon. Also, it is in my opinion that most of the roaches in your colony would be too big, and you'd end up with excess large roaches and nothing to do with them. If you decided to do this, I'd post a forum to get some pointers.

:)

SJM

Hatchling Member
Oh, also, if you want to vary, I think it'd be best to do it in the veggies department. You can feed him a wonderful salad of collard greens, turnip greens, kale, with bits of squash to liven it up :) Thor loves his squash and it makes the salad look so much more colourful.

Here's a good feeding chart:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

I'd stick to the foods in green. :D

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom