Baby Beardie Eating Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBaz

Hi. I just got my beardie on sunday. He is now 5 and a half weeks old, and seemingly quite healthy and happy. The first day I had him he ate 7 crickets (once moved to my house), the second he ate 4 and today I don't think he ate any.

Is this normal? About how many crickets should he be eating? I saw in a different thread that they're supposed to eat 50-100 crickets a day. Is that at this age, or a bit older?

More info:
He's in a temporary cage right now - a 20"x15"x11" (or so LxWxH) storage container.
He has a hide with the basking area on top, a water bowl (which I haven't seen him use at all) and paper towel substrate.
I am currently using a standard 90 watt halogen flood light until I get him a proper light with UVB (Mega-Ray). I was thinking to wait to put the Mega-Ray in the permanent cage so I can make sure it's the right wattage. Should I not wait? Can this be the problem?
The top is being kept off partially because with it on the 90 watt bulb makes it too hot. I'm going to get a 60 watt or so flood light tonight so I can close it, unless you think I should just get the Mega-Ray right now.

If you need any more information, please ask.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. The "small" crickets from my pet store are a bit bigger than I really want to use. Most of them are about 1/2" - 5/8". I have 1000 3/8" on the way. Can this be the problem?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For a baby beardie you should be giving pinhead crickets or crickets no bigger then the space between your beardies eyes. Also, from what you described as your enclouser i could only imagine it being a not so good (to say nicely) home for your beardie. Really you should have a set up and everything ready before you take a beardie into your home. You say it is getting to hot in his current viv? Well he needs a hot and cool side, basking temp should be around the 100's and cool side should be about 85 degrees. If he has no cool side then he has no way to cool down and could over heat. His lack of appetite could be the results of poor husbandry or that the crickets are too big.

Make sure you read the care sheets and articles on this site to find out how to properly house your beardie.
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/
And yes, babys usually eat about 50 or so crickets no bigger then the space between their eyes.

BigBadBaz

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I got a 50 watt bulb which certainly seems to be doing a better job with top heat and heat gradients.

I was hoping to have his cage done by the time I got him, but it's taking longer than I expected. I should, however be able to finish it on Sunday. Besides, for his size, the current cage should be just fine.

As for the crickets, I got what I could and immediately ordered more. I thought they would arrive yesterday but they didn't/ I hope they arrive today. If not, I'll have to do something else.

Also, he's shedding. I understand they don't eat so much when they're shedding?

And he has been eating his collard greens. LOL, when I try to put them down in his cage he grabs them right out of my hand. :D

SJM

Hatchling Member
Thor ate 7 crickets a day for a long time when I first got him :) it could just be the relocation stress. Beardies, especially skittish ones, and very sensitive to stress and it can kill their appetite to be moved from one home to another.

You should get the best UVB you can immediately, they're very important for a beardie's health.

As I see that Baz covered pretty much everything else, I'll just say that I think that your beardie will come around soon enough. I wouldn't worry too much. Have you gotten a fecal test done at your vet? He needs to be checked for parasites.

:)
Good luck, and congrats on your new beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom