how often do bearded dragons shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
RamboRocky":f1329 said:
and even while they are this small now i can give them baths? is it safe to do it while they are this small.... and if i would fill the sink to their shoulders it would be less than even a half cup of water.... how do i keep a half cup of water at 90 - 100 degrees F.... are these water temps right? cant the water just been warm..

absolutely. I think Zebras point was to be sure it is not too hot for them. Pretend you are giving a baby a bath and set the water temp there. It's going to cool off pretty quick but don't drive yourself crazy trying to keep it at a set temp. If anything, every 5 minutes, drain the sink and start over. He'll probably like the waterfall anyways :lol:
Also, he will probably start pooping in there after not too long. So you are going to want to drain it then too. I usually take my guy out after he poops.

As for your shedding question...

They shed as fast as they grow. The faster they grow, the faster they shed. If one is growing slower than the other, it has nothing to do with it being a runt. The actual cause is simple a domination factor. I assure you that if you listen to t his great advise given so far in here, and separate them, you will see BOTH of your dragons begin to flourish.

RamboRocky

Original Poster
not fed enugh? i thought i been over feeding them they get so full looking... big bellies... bowel movments every second..

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
babies are pooping machines! haha

You are supposed to feed them as much as they'll eat in 15 min, 3 times a day. For my 2 tiny babies I have right now that's usually about 15 a day. One is super tiny and only eats around 10 and the larger one eats around 20.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
As long as those bellies aren't dragging all the time, you are fine !
Try out my suggestion.. A bit tricky to balance both, but in the end, bathing is a necessity.
Who knows, you might even get them trained to poo in the bath... ;)
Janie.

RamboRocky

Original Poster
about the whole bath thing.... i would be putting these babies in my bathroom sink after i clean it and rinse it of course.... but i want to know, because i dont have a therm with a prob on hand right now, can the water feel warm to me and be fine for them or should i make sure the water is kinda hot but not to where i'll see steam.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
Start out with warm, babies are sensitive, so it should be nowhere near steam. You don't need to use a thermometer, just put it on the underside of your arm and feel if it's warm but not hot.

RamboRocky

Original Poster
The coil/compact isn't any good, you'll want to change that out for a tube reptisun 10.0 ;)Link:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/rept ... -bulb.html
Just get two of them, since you are planning on separating soon.
Oh and instead of that infrared, change that out with a house hold bright White light ;)

Is this true about my coil/compact light...? Does my UVB light not produce enough UVB for my guys?

My dragons live with me in the same room i sleep in... i like the inffered light b/c its not so bright... it lets heat off and i was told by the employee at petsmart to get this item... the bulb was about $10 and the UVB was about $20... they are both brand new... not new enough to still have a receipt but should i wait till they are no good or just trash them now?

dragons1222

Juvie Member
i agree definatly need to feed more

babies should be fed 2-3 x a day however much they will eat in a 15 minute period (can be anywhere from 20-100 crickets a day as they get bigger)

your babies are very small and it is hard with such small babies but i agree you cant get very good temp gradient in that small of a tank basking temp should be 110-115 and the cool side should be in the low 80's

yes the coil/compacts have been causing alot of problems with health and the reptiSUN 10 is the bulb most reccomended

i would just try to return the bulbs

it is important for them to have very bright white lights as this simulates the sun imagine of you were trapped in the dark all day?

as for you sleeping in there all lights should be off at night unless it gets below 60 degrees and in that case i would reccomend a ceramic heat emitter so it should not bother you at night

and unfortunatly most employees at petstores know very little correct information

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Our male sleeps in the same room as us, you get used to the lights fast. They come on at 7:30 because Gibby is an early riser, but we are not. The first couple days it was mildly irritating, but now we all sleep through it, even my 5 month old son.

RamboRocky

Original Poster
here is my new setup : http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/wightbread/100_1967.jpg

i got my tank and setting it up. ill get that reptisun strip bulp next time i get out to the store... but wat u guys think for now? ill be getting tile as a substrate and some rocks so itll look more full... right now im getting the tank to be set at 85 degrees F at night and some basking spots at 101-105.... kind of low right now i know i think i need to get another 10 inch basking lamp... wat do you guys think?

dragons1222

Juvie Member
it looks great
is that the new tank?

only thing i would reccomend is to have the basking light more to one side
also it is very warm at night

should go down at night to room temp no lights on at all

it can go as low as 60 and it needs to drop at night it shouldnt stay that warm

when will you be able to seperate them? i know you dont want to hear this but it is very important that they are seperated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom