Can 2 female bearded dragons have sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frondew

For a while i thought one of my bearded dragons was male and the other female, then I went to a proffesional reptile dude (whose been working with beardies since he was a kid) and he said they were both female (which is a great relief). But I just witnessed them having sex, so..can 2 female beardies do it?

~fron

frondew

Original Poster
claudiusx":e3c38 said:
no they can't have sex. What do you mean you saw them having sex?
I mean one was biting the other on this one part kinda near the others neck/ear. She then went on top of her and their tails like...err...connected, or whatever. Then the one on the bottom moved away and the one who was biting just lay ther for a minute brathing a little hard, and now they're back to normal..

~fron

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
either you found the first lesbian dragons on record, or you should start getting the erm... "one on bottom" some more calcium soon and look into building an incubator. :p

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Actually I just want to mention...supposedly there was another person that saw this.
The dragons got it on but then the "male" laid eggs and then the "female" did as well, and they weren't fertile.
They are so females that are very dominant that need a very dominant male to control them, and i have a feeling that it does happen some times.

Otherwise your friend just misjudged.
If you don't want to have the eggs (it's a lot of work) then when they are laid stick them in the freezer for a day so the eggs don't become anything more.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Are these dragons in the same cage? If so please seperate them. If it is a male/female pair they will breed constantly putting the female in danger,2 females will fight and so will 2 males. Beardies are territorial and not meant to be housed together.Keeping them in the same cage could lead to maiming or death for one of the dragons.

frondew

Original Poster
Well, a couple weeks ago one of them laid eggs. We showed them to the reptile guy and he said they were duds (and even ripped one in half to show us) because females can lay eggs on their own.

Now the other 'female' is pregnant as well (according to the guy) so unless guys can lay eggs i'd assume they're both female : P

~fron

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
jargonchipmunk":262ef said:
either you found the first lesbian dragons on record, or you should start getting the erm... "one on bottom" some more calcium soon and look into building an incubator. :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL... Now that was funny!!!!!!

Kagome100

Juvie Member
Yes please post a pic of there vents so we can look.

Also when did you take them to this guy to have them sexed? were they really young? even breeders that have bred for years and years have miss sexed dragons.

Also PLEASE put them in different tanks, if they are male and female, that male can end up hurting her girl.

Now you will need to keep a eye on her and if she starts to get big or starts digging put a nest box in with her. Also feed her LOTS of food and give her lots of vitamins and calcium and nice warm baths.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
2 females in the same tank will try to dominate each other. They will take on the role of a male to get the other female to produce eggs and therefore be out of the breeding competition should a male show up. Seperate your girls because if thats whats going on they will continue to cycle eggs till they cant anymore and that will slowly kill them.

Kagome100

Juvie Member
TheWolfmanTom":16616 said:
2 females in the same tank will try to dominate each other. They will take on the role of a male to get the other female to produce eggs and therefore be out of the breeding competition should a male show up. Seperate your girls because if thats whats going on they will continue to cycle eggs till they cant anymore and that will slowly kill them.

ya that is true but if the one on top stuck his/her *thing* into the other thats male.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Believe Me I know how that works.....lol. Im just looking at it from a health of the animal point of view. I know there are alot of people out there that think they have a male or female then find out diff. Either way they should be seperated for the health of the poopers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom