SuperWorm Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D Hi All,

I have a question. I have a juvenile bearded dragon. :lol: I went to the local pet store to get some superworms for my beardie, they were suggested by the people on the introductions page, and ran into quite a problem. I went to the store I always go to for my reptiles and got my crickets, dust, reptile carpet, and proceeded to go to get the worms when a employee stopped me. She asked me what I was going to feed the superworms to. I replyed that I was going to feed them to a bearded dragon and she then told me that I could not feed them to my beardie. She then went on to say that the superworms had pinchers and a hard shell that would slice my beardies stomach and kill him. She said that the only animals that they will sell superworms to to eat are reptiles with teeth. She then proceeded to hand me a container of giant mealworms and tell me to feed him these they are better. I stunned said ok and purchased and left. I was told by many people that the pet stores will give you false info and lead you in the wrong direction. What is the truth to the superworms and are they safe to feed to beardies? :dontknow: :dontknow: I am sooo confused. Please someone let me know.

duckyLBT

superworms are only to be feed to beardies over 16in. Supers from what i have read are better then the giant mealworms and are better for your beardie. People at petstores really dont know much sometimes and can give bad advice. I bet she never asked how big your beardie was. I feed dexter supers as a staple. He eats about 15-20 a day with a salad and he is 17ion long and 11 months old. and bearded dragons do have teeth haha if you ever get bit you will notice haha. they chew the supers up good and most digest them good. If your beardie is over 16in slowly intoduce them to supers (3 one day, 5 then next + crickets to fill him up each of those days) then by then he should poop, just check if he is digesting them properly ( no whole worms or big chuncks) then you should be ok to feed him more....do it slowly over a week cutting out more crickets then by the end of the week he can be fully on supers + salad. if you are just feeding as a treat then that should be fine as along as he is atleast 16in. hope this helped

oo yeah and for them having pinchers and hard shells that will cut there stomac and kill them haha no, they do have pinchers and will bit so i use prongs to pick them up then just throw them in a bowl one at at time (dexter would eat all 20 at one time if i put all them in there haha) your beardie will chew them up before they have a chance to bit him and there shells will not cut the dragon haha i think its funny she told you that caz giant mealworms have hard shells too... but yeah haha no worries there. just follow the general rule (atleast 16in long)

ldyrddragn05

Original Poster
Thanks so much. I figured the lady had to be whacko. :? I next time will not tell what I am feeding them to so no crazyness hahah. My beardie eats a ton. Loves his crickets and will down a ton of crickets at a time. :D He also is doing ok with his salad just everyonce and awhile he does not eat all of it but I keep offering it. I ordered him pheonix worms too to try so we will see. :lol: Thanks again :blob5:

ldyrddragn05

Original Poster
Hi,

Ok :D so I gave him a couple of the superworms by hand and he ate them no problem. The next day he pooped them out and they were in chunks. :?: He is still eating his other food i.e. crickets and greens but not sure if I should give him more worms? What do you all think? :wink: I ordered a bunch of things worms and crickets from Ghanns Cricket farm online. Thanks Kim

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
I also feed both my dragons Supers as a staple bug. As far as the chunks go..both of my dragons will poop a few undigested shells and a chunk or two here and there..it's really not a biggie unless you see a whole big worm undigested come out!..lol The fact that it pooped them out..... and you saw some little chunks is a good thing actually. Make sure your temps are correct so that it can digest them properly and feed the correct size to it.

It is alot more noticeable if your dragons go poop in water like mine do and make "poop soup" when they swim around trying to get away from the poop...you will really see bug parts floating around then. :lol:

ldyrddragn05

Original Poster
Ok so that was an hillarious visual image. :shock: ..poop soup. :D Was just wondering on the superworms. My beardies has a curly tail that he had when I adopted him, I was told an injury from when he hatched, so he looks smaller that he is. He seems to eat a ton though. The order from ghanns cricket farm was great. Will last awhile. :blob5: Thanks for the info and the visual image lol :p

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
ldyrddragn05":ecdca said:
Ok so that was an hillarious visual image. :shock: ..poop soup. :D Was just wondering on the superworms. My beardies has a curly tail that he had when I adopted him, I was told an injury from when he hatched, so he looks smaller that he is. He seems to eat a ton though. The order from ghanns cricket farm was great. Will last awhile. :blob5: Thanks for the info and the visual image lol :p

Hehee...I actually got that word from someone else on here...Here is my original thread and where I discovered "Poop SOUP'!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102368&hilit=

Freeie

Extreme Poster
You can also raise your own superworms if you wanted theres a great post on how somewhere in the *feeders* section sounds pretty easy to me :D

Lish

Hi, I have a 3 yr old bearded dragon and she loves super worms. Yes, they do bite !! The little sucker got me once, but there is contradictions on whether or not bearded dragons have teeth. One vet told me yes and do not let her bite you, and another told me no that it is a rumor. Now i have seen into her mouth and she does look like she has teeth, but i am not gonna stick my finger in there to be sure. She is always trying to bite me anyway so the minute she does i will know for a fact if she does or not. (My dragon is blind! and new to me) Anyway, i agree with the person who said to wait until your bearded dragon was bigger. But to be sure you can always ask your vet.
Hope this helps

Lish

Hi, I have a 3 yr old bearded dragon and she loves super worms. Yes, they do bite !! The little sucker got me once, but there is contradictions on whether or not bearded dragons have teeth. One vet told me yes and do not let her bite you, and another told me no that it is a rumor. Now i have seen into her mouth and she does look like she has teeth, but i am not gonna stick my finger in there to be sure. She is always trying to bite me anyway so the minute she does i will know for a fact if she does or not. (My dragon is blind! and new to me) Anyway, i agree with the person who said to wait until your bearded dragon was bigger. But to be sure you can always ask your vet.
Hope this helps

ldyrddragn05

Original Poster
See my beardie was a rescue. :p I am not sure how old he is and he has a curly, deformed tail so telling how long he is is kinda hard. The tail looks healed and does not bother him at all though. We have not had our first vet appointment yet but it is scheduled. :D He eats the pheonix and meal worms fine and he eats his greens fine. I have only tried kale, collards, and mustard greens so far. I gave him a few superworms to try and he did eat them. He did poop them out to the next morning but it was chunky. :shock: He did continue his eating though and did not hesitate to keep chowing down. :roll: Is there a way besides length to tell if it is proper to give them to him yet? Is there a way to tell roughly how old he is? Thanks :blob5:

Freeie":cada0 said:
You can also raise your own superworms if you wanted theres a great post on how somewhere in the *feeders* section sounds pretty easy to me :D
Not as easy as it seems, lol. To get them to a larger size of at least 1" or bigger, it can take up to 6 months. Plus, you need to have space for the beetles, the worms, and the pupaes all at a controlled temperature.

Valex

Hatchling Member
Alrighty well an easy way to measure is to grab a piece of string, measure then straignen out the string against a meter stick or a tape measure and whaaalaaah.

I do believe I can definatly see teeth in my beardies mouth. lol. They look like shark teeth. lol

ddma

Juvie Member
i have absolutely seen teeth in my beardies mouth. and the other day i was hand feeding my beardies some greens and one of them grabbed the greens from my fingers and grabbed my finger just a bit, didn't hurt , but could tell her teeth got me. they're real teeny tiny , (my beardies are 6 months old) don't know how big thier teeth are when theey get bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom