Pogona Adeno Testing Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Most everyone around knows that I have started a Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2007. I started out with Fecal Electron Microscopy Testing with Lou Ann Miller at the University of Illinois & we have done some testing & gained some data. Though it is slow, since most breeders are not willing to take the extra step in testing for this virus.
However, I am happy to announce an update with our services now. We are now working with Ernie Colaizzi from the Research Associates Laboratory in Dallas, Texas which performs the Polymerase Chain Reaction Test. It is a very good price but you can only get the lower price if you are going through the Pogona Adeno Testing Society.
Now, this will hopefully give some flexibility for some who want confirmation of positive & negative results.
Here is his site if you want to take a look at his website:

http://www.vetdna.com/index.html

Thanks to everyone who has supported the testing efforts. I am confident that we will find out more answers in the future. My goal is simple. I want to help establish clean, adeno free colonies, & I believe that it can be done.
Whether you are a breeder or not, you can test via Fecal EM or via PCR whichever your preference. The best results will come with doing both, but the PCR will confirm the results.
I do have some great information but all I can say at this time is that we are finding more negative dragons than what has been previously reported. So, that is excellent news.

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well that is good news :D .
So he is offering the test at a discounted price? Can I ask what it is or should we just contact him directly? I looked on the site but I didnt see a price list.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Vicky,

Yes, they don't put the prices on there.
It is $20 but he will offer it for $15 through the Pats, which is excellent.
I am very pleased with this progress, but this is a life time project for me. :D

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Wow thats an excellent offer.I must say I would hope people would be more apt to test now especially if they intend to breed.While I know this is a lifetime project for you I think maybe you caould pause if only for a moment to give yourself a pat on the back.Way to go girl! :mrgreen:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Vicky,

Thanks, I appreciate it. :D I really have been working hard & trying to get something accomplished & it has been very challenging for sure. There is much work to be done, but, this is a great start! :blob5:
Yes it is an excellent offer I agree, very generous of him. I hope that now with a couple of choices, perhaps people will become a little more interested. It is time to give back to the animals.

Tracie

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Job well done Tracie!! I hope breeders will now test their breeding colonies. I think the price couldn't be any better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Sandy,

Thanks! :D I definitely hope so. Now, they have more options, & that can really help us out.
I personally am testing both ways so I can compare.

Tracie

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Question.. the price doesnt seem bad. But.... Do you not have to pay for an office visit as well on top of it? since the vet does have to obtain the sample, unless I am mistaken.
My vet also can test before this for the last couple years, since before I tested thru Lou Ann, but my problem there was the $65.00 O/V charge plus the lab charge. which was another $55.00.. per dragon. So it would have cost me 720 for all my dragons if I were to go today

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Laura,

No you do not have to go through your vet, so no office visit. You can do an environmental swab with the specialized long sterile swab dipped in saline solution then swabbed around on the areas of higher concentration of where your dragon is. Or, you can swab dried feces, or you can even swab the inside of the gums if you want to.
Of course, if you house multiple dragons that makes it harder, that is when you would have to swab the gums, or the dried feces.
That is it. Then, put the swab in a bag & send it off to the lab. You can get your test results the same day that they receive your sample. Very very easy.

Also, an update: Lou Ann has stated that the University of Illinois has gotten their funds basically cut out. They will not be able to do anymore reptile Electron Microscopy testing at all, since they recalculated their costs which would equate to over $100 per test. That is just not feasible. So for now, I will just be offering the PCR which I think is an excellent option.

Tracie

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Hmm.. Interesting.
I just might consider running a retest on mine to see what it will show. My vet its a blood test so its a bit different as far as costs go for that reason I would assume. But at home makes it rather convient. I will probably shoot you an email soon and ask you the rest of my questions.
All of my dragons have their seperate homes and theres not been other dragons exposed to their homes in the five years most of them have been here. so I dont think I would have a swab issue with them at all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Laura,

Yes, definitely shoot me an email. Do you have my new email? If not, PM me & I will send it to you.
I know, this is very interesting. I was extremely excited to meet him. He is very interested in helping with the testing & with the atadenovirus infection in bearded dragons, too. He thinks it is very possible to establish clean colonies...if, people would test.
I like the idea of the home testing too, it makes it much easier on you & the dragons!
Yes, the original PCR is a blood test because it is DNA. It is expensive, for sure.

Talk soon.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom