Hornworms toxic if fed tomato plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to raise hornworms and know thier diet but I came to a website that said that hornworms are toxic to reptiles of they eat tomato plants?!? I am growing organic tomato plants inside my home to insure they are insect and pesticide free. Would this be safe or is there something in the tomato plant that makes them toxic to beardies. NOTE: I have grown my plants from seeds so I know there are no pesticides. Any help is much appriciated! Thanks everyone and much love to bd.org

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
The leaf of tomato's are poisonous to our bearded dragons. So if the horn worms consume the leaves they become toxic to our bearded dragons.

cjzshartzer

Original Poster
I had no clue. So other than a tomato, what can a hornworm consume to obtain health at a low price and be safe for my dragons? Thanks for the reply. I really want to raise my own feeders and food so anything helps!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Hornworms that are to be fed to beardies have to eat the special hornworm chow that the worm sites sell. It's not really cheap, but it's more affordable if you buy the powder in bulk, freeze it, and then make small batches of the chow as you need it.

cjzshartzer

Original Poster
yeah, i considered buying the powder but wanted to find a food for the hornwoms that i can raise myself. hmm i guess i need more research. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom