ICE Morph Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I was curious, knowing I had heard this before, so I had to google it. Here is what I found out
"ICE morphs include Snows, Hypo Snows, Leucistics and Leucistic crosses and Hypo Pastels."
Here's a link to the website I found this at http://www.fireandicedragons.com/
Sara

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
There are many names for the different colors of beardies. I would imagine that the "Ice" name would apply to a white dragon or possibly a translucent.

The white/ snow/ marketed leucistic dragon is really just a white hypomelanistic dragon.

The translucent has skin that is acually almost clear.

I would describe the dragon or show a picture and maybe someone could help you. There are multiple names for the same color morph that float around. I still haven't had anyone describe the difference between a snow and marketed leucistic to my satisfation.....they are really both just very light / white hypos.

Here is a great article : http://www.mbdragons.eu/en/genetica.html

Here is a really eye opening artical about the names of color morphs! http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26667

And here is my marketed leucistic "Ash" he is from Georgia Bearded Dragons
DSC01148.jpg

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I have an Ice morph from FIre & Ice. He is the very lightest full body solid yellow but not a snow or leucistic. I have leucistics but they are more of a pale greenish color and I just read on Georgia Bearded Dragons website that the snows are characteristic of having some color around their eyes. Aparently there are different genetics for the different colorless traits.

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
As Ash gets bigger and sheds, I will post pictures. His last shed showed a little orange on his back and face...so he might be one of those Leucistics with some color around the eyes or even possibly have a pastel color.

Because marketed leucistics are not "real leucistics" and are just light / white hypomelanistics, they may have some pigment (color). The genetics in these dragons is all the same...if you breed marketed leucistic to a hypo you will get hypomelanistic babies, proving that both parents have the gene for hypomelanism. If one was true leucistic and the other hypo then all the babies would be normal phase dragons, because the parents would have different recessive genes.

The whole genetic discussion fascinates me. :study: The frustrating thing is that some unscupulous or uninformed breeders and petsores either accidentally or purposely mislead people.

I was told my first baby dragon was a "hypo" at the pet store because he had some orange on him. Actually he was a normal phase with orange.

Bloodbank Dragons was helpful in explaining exactly what a "hypo" was.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get Ash from? Wasn't it a reptile show from Georga Bearded Dragons? I think I remember reading the post. I have an adult leucistic and now two babies, they are my absolute favorite. Just don't see many marketed leucistic around much these days. Cheryl

ddma

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i also got a leucistic dragon from georgia bearded dragons. i just got her , a week now, she came last tues, she' s 8 weeks old. i've been waiting since the beginning of april when they hatched. if you go to georgiabeardeddragons.com, they posted a pic of thier leucistic babies that they have for sale, also have snows. is your adult dragon pure white, what do your babies look like ? i also have a 4 month old super citrus female and a 4 month old crimson red male.

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
seadooz":95ef8 said:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get Ash from? Wasn't it a reptile show from Georga Bearded Dragons? I think I remember reading the post. I have an adult leucistic and now two babies, they are my absolute favorite. Just don't see many marketed leucistic around much these days. Cheryl

Yes..the New Orleans show. I knew they were going to be there with some leucistic babies. So I got to cherry pick Ash out of about 6 leucistics. But with his shed this week..he has some orange/tangerine. So we will see if he is really going to be as white as I first though.

He is a brat! Hehehe, he was the largest male of the hatchlings. So he has an attitude! In the end, I am not breeding, so no matter his end color....I am keeping him. I wanted him because he was different. he really is a pretty baby! Could you post pictures of your leucistics here? I would love to see them, plus this is a great educational post for those wanting the White dragons.

I really like genetics. I have a masters in science. The genetics of reptiles are neat. I find it interesting that breeders are calling animals leucistic that aren't really leucistic. They would have blue eyes if they were leucistic...as in no colored pigment.

Thanks, Kaya

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
ddma":901fc said:
i also got a leucistic dragon from georgia bearded dragons. i just got her , a week now, she came last tues, she' s 8 weeks old. i've been waiting since the beginning of april when they hatched. if you go to georgiabeardeddragons.com, they posted a pic of thier leucistic babies that they have for sale, also have snows. is your adult dragon pure white, what do your babies look like ? i also have a 4 month old super citrus female and a 4 month old crimson red male.

My baby Ash came from the same hatching if yours was hatched on April 14, 2009. Mine shed and has some light orange markings. So we will need to keep in touch and see how they turn out!

Can you post a picture of your new baby? I would be interested in seeing her. I am very happy with the health of my baby. Georgia bearded dragons obviously takes good care of them.

ddma

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i would love to post pics but for the life of me can not figure out how to do it. yes, mine was hatched she said either on 14th or 15th of april, i guess she had a couple of clutches layed from 2 breddings and some hatched on the 14th and some on the 15th

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
keschete":1af7d said:
He is a brat! Hehehe, he was the largest male of the hatchlings. So he has an attitude! In the end, I am not breeding, so no matter his end color....I am keeping him. I wanted him because he was different. he really is a pretty baby! Could you post pictures of your leucistics here? I would love to see them, plus this is a great educational post for those wanting the White dragons.

My boy is starting to calm down and get sweet, he was a brat at first. Thats why I like males better, they seem to get more laid back personalities. I could hardly tell them apart but he is a bit beefier and he has a yellow stripe by his ear and she has orange. She is still a bit jumpy but they are still so tiny. Babies are adorable but I love my big ones.

This is him before his last shed, Zyro
LeucM1.jpg

and my girl the day after her shed, Zyra
leucy1.jpg

this is my adult marketed leucistic now, Nylla
Nylla_window.jpg

her as a baby, she wasn't the lightest
nyllarock.jpg

and my ice morph from fire and ice as a juvie
YLi-arm.jpg

and him (bottom) as a sub adult snuggling with another sub adult male on top of him,
YLiYit.jpg

How is all that for educational? Lots of crickets!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
He's gorgeous. They will always be my favorite along with the lavenders. Doesn't he seem smoother than the others? My leucistics have a different feel to them, not as hard of scales or as sharply formed? I'm not sure, but my blood x leucistic feels the same way. The ice morph, on the other hand, was advertised as a partial smoothie but has smaller, sharper, more pointed spikes and scales. He is very rough and tough feeling. Even his tail scales are are jurassic, he is strangely different.

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
seadooz":0cbba said:
He's gorgeous. They will always be my favorite along with the lavenders. Doesn't he seem smoother than the others? My leucistics have a different feel to them, not as hard of scales or as sharply formed?

Thanks, I called the breeder tonight and Georgia Bearded Dragons said his dad was Zeus and hi mom is Lucinda. They have pics of the breeders up on the sight. She said he should loose the orange/peach highlights and become paternless in about a year.

And yes, his scales are softer than my hypo. If you pet his chin and near his ears, his spikes aren't very stiff, much more flexible. He is very different from my orange hypo. But boy he is a cheeky little brat. My orange hypo is calm and sweet. Ash has a big bad attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom