Well I smashed my fake rock cave in a fit of rage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niexist

Ugh I'm so angry right now. Let me explain. I work in comission only sales, so when I'm working on something I compare my time to how much money I'm losing. Well I made my big fake rock cave over about a week's time taking off 2 hours early from work every day to come work on it.

I have to say it just looked freakin awesome. I couldn't wait to post pictures of it on here because it was one of the BEST fake rocks I've seen on this site or all over the web. It had a huge bridge/basking platform 6 inches wide 2 feet long that raised up to the top story of the 18"x18" cave/plateau.

Well after paint, and sealant it was finally time to put it in the terrarium, certain it would fit as it had 1" of clearance before I had applied grout I called in some of my family to look. I raised it up in order to put it in the cage, and BEHOLD it does not fit, with about a half inch more than needed to fit into the cage. I sanded it, shaved it, but it simply would not fit in the cage.

I was so angry, I still am. I had put so much of my time into this thing, when I think about it I put about 250 dollars of my time into this stupid grout-covered piece of styrofoam. Well after a couple family members pointing out, "wow all that time and the thing doesn't fit{" I proceeded to have a temper tantrurm and smashed the thing to bits, kicking and stomping on the thing until it was little more than a pile of rubble.

I am just so upset. I was thinking of building another one, but then I think I might as well just go to work and pay someone to do it. I don't know I'm staying with my family for the last 2 weeks and I haven't lived with my family for over 5 years. They are talking like my bearded dragons are an expenditure that I do not need, and a big waste of money (they see how much I spend on crickets/worms). This was my next big thing I was doing for my beardies. (I always like to have a project, from proper diet, to proper lighting, to tiling their terrarium, it seems like there is always something I can do to improve their living conditions, and I am addicted to taking whatever steps I can to do make sure they have the best life possible.)

I don't know I am just venting, but this has me really upset, it was my own stupid fault for using such thick layers of grout., but I just am as angry, any kind words or similar experiences sure would be appreciated.

Venom508

Juvie Member
ooooohhhh noooo!! too bad you didnt take any pix of it before you unleashed ur wrath on it....

but i do know how you feel i was one time playing a game on my computer and i couldn't get past this one really hard bit and i was trying for hours to do it. after a loooong time i got sooo very VERY angry so i smashed the keyboard up with my fist. it doesn't sound bad but it was a laptop and the hard drive was right under the keyboard!!!! it didnt work for the better part of 2 yrs :shock: . i was lucky that i could replace the hard drive. lol it was this comp too. but i do feel ur pain after you do somthing you have spent an a$sload of time on and you destroy it, you just feel like crying....

i also spilt a full glass of water on it and.for.about.7.months.i.had.to.typ3.lik3.this :laughhard: cuz half the buttons didnt work!!

so i know how you feel.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Oh that is just too bad ! See what I would have done is okay I'm done with this, but it doesn't fit, so I must need to make a new enclosure it WOULD fit into !
(I too need projects).
Ah Niexist, I feel your frustration about your family and their view of the dragons being an extra. Your response to that is, I need something to relax with, and they are it !
Hope this helps, BIG HUG !
Janie.
Oh, I support you in any effort to create wonderful things for your Masters !
:D

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
What kind of sales guy are you....one or two objections and you throw in the towel.....Until that customer gets up and walks out the door, there is no such thing as a "no" . You essentially just pushed the customer out the door.... :lol:

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Go, we need to be supportive, I get your thought process, but he needs the encouragement he isn't getting at home. :D
Janie.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
i am sure he will be able to wake up and laugh at this.....a little perspective never hurt anyone.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
That is the big problem with the internet...you don't have facial expressions and tone to get your point across.

I can relate to him because I have been in sales myself and you always have to turn a negative into a positive. You have to take every deal that you DIDN'T get and ask what could I have done different.....Then you just have to laugh at yourself because if you can't you get commission breath and sales plummet even further...so LAUGH NIEXIST

jakeh2009

Hatchling Member
i feel your pain, i just did a fake rock this week and i had plenty of clearance on the trial fit, well after getting it all painted and sealed i try to place it in there and seemed to be about 1/4 inch to wide so i turned it every possible way and no luck, i ended up having to rip off one off the back support legs so i could tilt it enough to get in there. So i feel like i spent alot of time on the final product and it didnt come out how i wanted it to, but on the other had i still had a usable platform and since i did have so much grout on it i did not need that back support anyway, it is such a tight fit that the glass holds it level and in place.

I was wondering if making these things in a few pieces and using dowels or something like that to hold them together once they are set in place would work. Or something like that lol, cuz it does suck when you have something looking how you want and then have to modify it. I could have been test fitting through out the process but with all the rocks and everything else i had in dinos cage it just didnt seem like a good idea, boy i guess i was wrong.

If i was you i would try again maybe you can find a cardboard box or something like that which is close to the depth of your enclosure and do it that way, trying it after every layer.. well good luck in what you decide to do, wish you would have posted some pics, would have liked to see what you constructed

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
I did the same thing,well kinda. I made these really awesome steps and a huge platform and I kept it in the basement to dry. Well, my dads a big guy and he stepped on it =(

fkalb

Hatchling Member
Haha i laughed reading that, sorry to hear. Id suggest you conquer and build an even better.. slightly smaller.. one!

Niexist

Original Poster
lol yeah well I calmed down a bit. I don't know I might just buy some fake rock stuff, but I don't think I can get one made as good as this one, it was real real nice looking. I have one little piece of it I put in my terrarium.

Anyway thanks for the condolences all, it was a really fun relaxing project but it will take me a while before I can make an attempt at another.

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
I'm sure that was so frustrating! You should make another one. I do want to say thanks though. My husband is getting ready to make a new enclosure, rock, all of it. I would have never thought about leaving extra room for grout and all. So thanks for that. I'm sorry about your rock. Make a new one for your baby, and then post pics cause we all want to see it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom