Doesn't want to be held :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz_153

hey everyone, I'm really trying to bond with my beardie but every time i try to pick him he goes' crazy running around his tank. He trust me enough to hand feed him but i don't understand why he doesn't want me to pick him up. I know your not really suppose to pick them up while being directly over them b/c of the whole predator view point, but I'm i've tried picking him up from the side. I've tried to hold a cricket on one hand and with the other lean it out towards him and let him climb onto my hand but i don't think that is doing the job. If anyone has any bonding tips help me out. :(

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
How old is your beardie?
Young beardies sometimes are jumpy and do not want to be held.
When I got my first bearide, and he was a baby, I would not get him out of his viv unless someone else was home. He was just too jumpy. He is fine now.
So if yours is young, you may just want to give them time, and maybe they will come around.

Blitz_153

Original Poster
well my beardie is about 5-6 months old, how long would say it take until he stops being all jumpy?(approximately), when was your beardie ready?

causeascene203

Hatchling Member
Mine was a royal terror between the ages of 4 and 7 months. He was absolutely unable to be held, and he would attack my hands if he felt I was too close. I was bitten many many many times.

He's 10 months now, and his favorite time of day is when I open up his viv to take him out for playtime. His colors get bright and he just about leaps onto my hands to be held.

Keep after it. It helped mine if I used one hand to gently encourage him to step onto my other hand, and then just hold him inside the viv for a few minutes without taking him out. After that, I gradually worked up to taking him out to hold.

I'm sure yours will grow out of it just like mine did. Don't lose faith. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom