Rollie Pollies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just searching the awesomeness that is http://www.wormman.com and found rollie pollies (sow bugs) being advertised as good feeders? Is that so for beardies? Because they seem to be very easy to breed and keep. I'm thinking of giving a diet of crickets (I have to keep those around for my tarantulas), Phoenix Worms, red wigglers, and maybe rollie pollies if they're okay.

dawnki

Juvie Member
i think the isopods---rollie pollies----have a harder shell----i use them in my hisser colonies enclosure because they like to eat roach poop. yum. i wouldn't feed them to my beardie....

PhoenixRisen":cea1a said:
I was just searching the awesomeness that is http://www.wormman.com and found rollie pollies (sow bugs) being advertised as good feeders? Is that so for beardies? Because they seem to be very easy to breed and keep. I'm thinking of giving a diet of crickets (I have to keep those around for my tarantulas), Phoenix Worms, red wigglers, and maybe rollie pollies if they're okay.

Try some B. Dubia roaches and Superworms. Easiest things in the world to keep.

I'm thinking about tinkering with the Sowbugs myself. My understanding is that their shells are Calcium and are digestible for dragons, vs the chitlin covering roaches, superworms, etc, which isn't digestible. I can't find any decent info on their nutritional values, tho.

PhoenixRisen

Original Poster
Regarding the dubias and superworms: My mother has refused to let me keep roaches and my beardie is too small to eat supers yet.

So, you think they might be good? They seem to be pretty cheap and easy to care for and breed. Thanks, I think I'll try them and post the results.

dawnki

Juvie Member
PhoenixRisen":a0dbd said:
Regarding the dubias and superworms: My mother has refused to let me keep roaches and my beardie is too small to eat supers yet.

So, you think they might be good? They seem to be pretty cheap and easy to care for and breed. Thanks, I think I'll try them and post the results.

i'd do more research before you just feed them------it would suck if your baby got ill or even died because you wanted to 'try' something new to feed. check out other forums----- PLUS, i've heard some negatory things about wormman

hartungs":2cff8 said:
I don't think that this is a good feeder at all. There doesn't seem to be much "meat" on them compared to the shell. I did a quick search on Wikipedia and it references that "pill bugs" play host to many parasites...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillidiidae

I have to disagree with your comment: "play host to many parasites".
Quoting directly from the above link: "Pill bugs have no specialized predators, though they play host to specialized parasitoids in the fly family Rhinophoridae." So they may host a single type fly larvae. Following the Wiki further, with the links for the Rhinophoridae, you learn they inhabit northern Europe and the African continent. I don't know where you are located, but here in the US, we seem to be free from these.

Check out this article:
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/2008/10/06/terrestrial-isopods-sowbugs-pillbugs-potato-bugs-as-food-for-captive-reptiles-and-amphibians/

I wasn't suggesting anyone go out and pick these up in the backyard and pop them in their lizard enclosure and I didn't get the feeling from the original poster that that was his plan, either. I don't have any concerns regarding the safety of these as feeders when they come from commercial dealers. Folks have been using them for years. What I don't know is whether bearded dragons would even care to eat them.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
to the original poster, have you ever seen baby dubia, they look like rollie pollies. Then they grow up to be "beetles" :)
DSC_0075.jpg

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
i would use caution when using wikipedia for any factual advise. it is an open site where just about anyone can change a particular subject

dawnki

Juvie Member
I think it's incredibly unwise to feed any dragon food without knowing whether or not it is safe. It's not fair to the dragon-----shows a lack of concern or regard.

dawnki":2966d said:
I think it's incredibly unwise to feed any dragon food without knowing whether or not it is safe. It's not fair to the dragon-----shows a lack of concern or regard.

True. And since Sowbugs are known to be safe, are produced commercially just like crickets and roaches, and have been fed to pet reptiles for years, it's OK for him to buy some and see if his dragon will eat them :)

PhoenixRisen

Original Poster
So, what is the correct ratio of protein:chitin for beardies? Isopods seem to have very soft shells if you've ever picked one up. I'll ask around on other sites and do some research.

Even though it seems unresponsible for us to feed unknown insects to our beardies, what stops them from eating the same animals in the wild? I am not trying to cause an argument, only stating a point.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help. I promise I'll do my research before doing anything. By the way, I'm female. :) No harsh feelings? :lol:

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
PhoenixRisen":9ff19 said:
Even though it seems unresponsible for us to feed unknown insects to our beardies, what stops them from eating the same animals in the wild? I am not trying to cause an argument, only stating a point.

Because in the wild its eat to survive or die.

In captivity its "stay in a 4sided box and eat what is GIVEN to me"

Do they have a choice?

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
reading the article from that pet place it says that isopods have a rather hard shell and should not be used as a staple feeder. I am thinking they may have a better nutrition than mealies but the hard chitin which is not digestable may cause impaction in smaller beardies. even in large amounts could be a bit of trouble in adults. just my opinion.

dawnki

Juvie Member
CapeFearDragons":9126f said:
dawnki":9126f said:

True. And since Sowbugs are known to be safe, are produced commercially just like crickets and roaches, and have been fed to pet reptiles for years, it's OK for him to buy some and see if his dragon will eat them :)

Could you please post the info stating that isopods are 'known to be safe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom