Juvie Member
ok so i started a new thread as told to:
here is some info that might help

he isnt sharing a tank
he is about 4 1/2 mo old
hes around 15 cm nose to tail tip
i have had him scince he was a month old
petty sure he is male
hes in a 40 by 30 tank with mesh sides and a mesh top but soon to be changed to a 4ft glass tank
i only have one light and that for heat BUT it was summer when i got him and i put the cage infont of a window with the window open
but now i need more lights

just so you know thank is too small for 2 lights and a cool end and hot end and a basking area except where the sun comes in
yes the tanks temp is taken with a stick on one
no heat rock i hate them
i feed him crickets and veggies zucchini atm but also bagged garden salad from the shops
i feed him all through the day just 3 at a time somtimes 4
i do gut load the crickets they come with a freegutloader i buy piceces live food hes on medium crix
i use a vitimin and d3 dusing powder and i use it most times i feed him. its reptical
poo is good not runny its firm and is brown with a white bit. he poos every day somtimes twice a day
no i dont bath him alot only when hes shedding but i do spray him
havent been to the vet or had a poop test done

please be nice as i got all my info from the pet shop and out of books. and we didnt have the net either
if you are going to recommed somthing make sure i can get it here or it can be sent here i live in vic on the border
i dont have alot of money so cheap is best.

be nice :oops:

Seven65

Juvie Member
What do you mean by bubbling noises? Is it a popping or clicking noise? Does he look like he's breathing heavily when he makes them? perhaps puffing out his throat? Those can be signs of a repiratory infection. My dragon had a mild one when I first bought him.

Your basking temperature should be between 105 and 110 degrees fahrenheit (40-43 degrees celcius) and about 75 degrees cool side. I remember from the other tread that yours were much lower, maybe try a higher wattage bulb or an additional one. What are you taking your temperatures with? You should have a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun, the stick/dial thermometers that they sell in pet stores can be off buy up to 20 degrees f.

If there is a chance of a RI you will want your temps to be on the hotter side as near to 110 degrees f as possible without going over. Also if you are keeping water in your enclosure you should take it out. You do these things to reduce the humidity which can prolong the infection.

Also, what kinda of UVB bulb do you use?

Venom508

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yeah it more like a popping noise

he only does it somtimes and he is breathing normal i only have one light and i think its a reptiglo
i know i know they suck but its the only one i could afford.
his tank is too small for hot and cool areas and not enough room for another light but im moving him into a 4 ft tank this week.

so i will have room then

i spray him every day and he likes that
so ill take his water bowl out

also i clean his tank with metho but i let it air out before i put him back in so i dont think its that

thank you ur the first person to reply i really appreciate it :)

Seven65

Juvie Member
Yeah I noticed you weren't getting a reply... You were saying you mist him? Misting in the enclosure will bring the humidity up a lot, so itake him out before you mist him, it's odd you say he likes it? Usually they don't. Do you give him baths at all? because both the water dish and the misting can be replaced by baths every 2-3 days. It not only hydrates them, but it helps them shed and keeps them clean.

It's good you're getting him a bigger enclosure because they definatly need varied temperatures so they can control their body temperatures by moving from hot to cool and back.

What kind of reptiglo is it? Is it a coil or a tube? What's the # on it example: 8.0 or 10.0 if it's a 5.0 or 8.0 tube you're probably fine. the 10.0 have been known to cause problems sometimes but if you REALLY don't have the money to change it you can help to prevent that by bringing it farther away, but that will reduce the uvb he'll get. If it's a coil it's going to have to be replaced, they are dangerous.

Venom508

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yeah i mist him he just closes his eyes and sits there somtimes he runs but most time he doesnt.

i didnt know about the whole bath thing so ill start doing that.

the light is a bulb and its far enough away from him so he wont get too hot but ill be changing that to a better light next week.

im currently using newspaper pellets for substrate but i will be getting him a fake grass mat cuz they can be steamcleaned.

any other tips im hugely misinformed about caring for him. pet shops know nothing about anything!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thank you for starting another thread, you will get much more feedback this way than on someone else's thread where many times it gets overlooked.
You will definitely need to get a thermometer such as a digital probe or a temp gun because the stick on thermometers do not do a good job of measuring basking temperatures at all.
The humidity in the tank should not really exceed 50%. Ideally 30-40% is good, so as stated, misting outside of the tank is best so mold issues don't arise or you don't raise the humidity levels too much.
If you have the tank where the sun shines into it, that is not a very good idea. The radiant heat can quickly overheat him.
What type of basking light are you using, is it a bright white light or a colored light? That is great you will be moving him into a 4 foot tank that will be super for him. How close is the basking light from him?
Unfortunately, the Reptiglo is not a good light. Can you get a refund on that & maybe upgrade to the Exo terra Solar Glo instead? You could use that for your 4 foot tank too. It is a mercury vapor bulb, has much better UVB & no low wavelength UVB like the reptiglo 10 does, & has heat along with the UVB too. The distance requirements for a 125 watts are around 14 inches or so.
If you decide to get another type of flourescent tube bulb then there is no need to get a fancy reptile basking light. A regular bright white halogen flood lamp is perfect for the basking light.
If you can find the Reptisun 10 up there or maybe the Arcadia D3 12% try getting those. Be sure to only get a flourescent tube bulb, & avoid ALL compact or coil lights.
The temperatures are very important to keep them healthy & to ensure that they digest their food properly also.
How is his appetite?

Tracie

Venom508

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yeah his appetite is as ravenous as ever everything is okay with him except the faint bubbling noises that i can only hear if i pretty much jam him in my ear.

only 1 light and its a reptiglo but i will be changing that.

thanks for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom