Total loss of appetite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
About 2 1/2 months ago both my dragons were treated for Pinworms & Coccida. My female Cammy, who is a rescue, had a lower count than my male Turbo, who I've had from a baby. You never would have known he was "sick".

Turbo has always had a huge appetite. Always ate all his salad and plenty of crix (& supers once he got older). Now he won't even look at the supers and rarely his salad. I can only get him to eat wax worms willingly. Ive tricked him into eating a couple supers here and there, I have to jump start his appetite with a couple wax worms.. but it rarely works anyways. Ive fed him some chicken baby food too, again, not willingly. I had to put it in a syringe and squeeze it in his mouth. I needed to get something in him because he hadnt eaten in 2/3 days.

I can't tell if he's just totally bored with his food? I have been feeding them only supers for live feeders over the winter. Thats what the petstore carries. Its too cold to risk shipping other types of worms since I can not get them locally. I just got a big batch of crix in yesterday and he willingly ate probably 5 -7 adult crix. I hate crix so I only got them couple times over the winter from the local petstore and he did eat them when I gave them to him.

I also ordered some Reptaid on monday, Im hoping it will get here asap. I think it might help him?

Any other ideas why he might be on a food strike?

I also thought he could be stressed out from seeing Cammy on occasion and hes just dying to mate with her?

Both tanks have correct temps... around 77-80 on the cool side. Basking temp is around 102-107. Smooth transition in the center of the tank. Warm side below basking area is around 90.

I use an MVB in both tank. Cammy's tank tends to be cooler so I have a household bulb as well to keep the temps right, I ended up taking the household bulb out of Turbo's and just using the MVB and it's holding the right temps.

These guys are spoiled and are cared for very well. They get a bath everyday so they don't leave messes in their tanks. They both drink from the water occasionally as well, so they are very hydrated.

Im really worried about him. I have HIGH hopes for this Reptaid.. I need it to work. I dont know what else to do. He has just lost so much weight over the last month or so and rarely eats anything.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
All i can say is get your basking temps up abour 20 degrees. 90 is too low, especially if he is sick. How old is he? younger ones need a 105-110 temp. If you can get that temp up to around 110 that would be the best. I hope everything works out.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
xJaZx":902d0 said:
Both tanks have correct temps... around 77-80 on the cool side. Basking temp is around 102-107. Smooth transition in the center of the tank. Warm side below basking area is around 90.

He is 9 months old.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah, i would suggest getting the heat up in general and especially if he is sick with parasites. what mvb bulb do you have? if your lowering it make sure you are not getting too close because the uv rays can harm them. My mvb is a 12 inch minimum.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Like I said, I use an MVB (both are the 100w Powersun). I do keep it 12" away.

I thought over 110 is a bit too hot for dragons over the baby/juvenile stage. If I add the second lamp it will bump the temps up to 110-115 atleast..

melmel1973

I purcahased Reptaid from a convention, just to have it on hand. I had a male who was not eating very well, I gave that to him every morning for 10 days and he is doing much better.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I have heard SO many good things about it, I know it can't hurt. I really hope it makes him feel better, I donno whats wrong with him :(

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Any other ideas?

He has lost interest in the crix too.. he has probably only eaten 4 in the last 2 days.

I'm just taking a stab at this, but is there any possibility that he is impacted or has another GI problem? Or could it be that he is amazingly bored with everything that he is being fed? Are his fruits and veggies variable or are they the same types of things over and over? Maybe totally new (approved) plant based food along with something different like silkies or roaches could spur his appetite?

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is definitely not impacted.

I try to switch it up, hes just not interested in anything.

Today is his second day on Reptaid... my fingers are crossed..

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has now been on Reptaid for 5 days now and really hasnt shown any improvement :?

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
My boy also was diagnosed with coccida and pin worms. He was eating somewhat normally and yesterday i bought him reptiaid, and he loves it. How much is urs eating? I hope everything goes well for you because i am in the samer boat. so far it has only been 4 going on 5 days of treatment. All i can say is make sure he is hydrated as much as possible. loss of hydration can mess up everything including their appetite. Keep up with warm baths. Keep us all updated on the little guy.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He was on meds 3 months ago. His appetite very slowly dwindled down, to where he is barely eating anything last month or so. He only has willingly ate bananas and wax worms. It seems hes picked at his salad a couple times and maybe had a super worm here or there.

Good luck with your lil one :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom