Eating his shed skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozen

Is it normal for a BD to eat his shed skin?

Dudley is right in the middle of it right now and he just basically shed his whole back in one go. Then he ate it! He must have because i leave for 15 minutes and BAM he has om nom nomed it.

Is this normal for them to do? Also he was doing some weird things today it seemed like he was trying to blow up his black beard but he doesn't have one yet, hes really young. I'm pretty sure he is ok but is the eating his skin thing normal?

beardlover

Juvie Member
The beard thing I'm sure is fine...and as for the eating of the skin...I'm not sure if it's "normal" but I have heard of it before, I can't totally remember why they do it....lack of vitamins maybe? :? Anyone else know :?:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Actually it's not uncommon for a beardie to eat their skin.

In the wild it's actually a pretty normal thing for many species of lizards to eat their shed.
It's a feral instinct...

If predators don't find their skin then they will be less likely to find them.

However it shouldn't hurt your beardie. :wink:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Just to add to Barbara's comments the reason why he is doing is because he/she isnt getting enough calcium.Its ok to let him/her eat it but I would also make sure that the appropriate amount of calcium is being given.

Rozen

Original Poster
vickson420":ae1fc said:
Just to add to Barbara's comments the reason why he is doing is because he/she isnt getting enough calcium.Its ok to let him/her eat it but I would also make sure that the appropriate amount of calcium is being given.

Hmm, I'm useing a T-Rex MVB. Should i still be dusting his crickets with calcium? I still do dust them with Vitamins

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hey Rozen!

Good to *see* you. :mrgreen:

You do want to dust with calcium, however with the MVBs, you use calcium withOUT D3. The MVB will allow your dragon to create D3 on his own, but he still requires supplemental calcium. Dust 5 meals per week with the cal, 1-2 with vites. My sincere apologies to you because in all our talk about setting up your enclosure, I talked about dusting with calcium, but failed to mention this specifically about the MVBs. I mentioned it early on, when you were still thinking of going with the ReptiSun tube, but when you decided to go MVB, somehow it never entered our conversation. I'm terribly sorry about that! :(

Are you feeding mainly crickets then? Are you using any phoenix worms at all, as feeders? If you're using PWs at all, then your dragon is getting some good calcium there. They are full of natural calcium.

To note, Cloudy will sometimes nibble on her skin when she sheds as well. It's common/expected with geckos, but also happens with beardies too. :)

The best,
Em

Rozen

Original Poster
Oh its good to *see* you too Embee!

Ah, Well Thanks! I guess i will go out tomorrow and get some Vit with out D3!

Just thought you should know that Dudley is as happy as can be, and its all thanks to you! :blob8:

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Rozen":b2f85 said:
Oh its good to *see* you too Embee!

Ah, Well Thanks! I guess i will go out tomorrow and get some Vit with out D3!

Just thought you should know that Dudley is as happy as can be, and its all thanks to you! :blob8:

Ahh, you are too kind. I'm glad to hear Rozen is happy and well! :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I think its fun watching them shead some times they eyebuldge and blow themselves up like little beardie balloons. Chimaira is sheading atm he ate a piece that came off as i was feeding him. I'm glad to hear it isnt anything to worry about.

beauford always eats his sheds, but for some reason he waits until it is super crunchy dry and then it sounds like he is eating potato chips. I believe that this is just something that they do and i am not sure that i agree with it having anything to do with calcium. beauf gets .5 cc of liquid calcium a day per his body weight with a syringe and he still insists he's eating it to the point that he chases me away from it if i try and pick it out of his viv.....

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
beaufordsmom":46cb2 said:
beauford always eats his sheds, but for some reason he waits until it is super crunchy dry and then it sounds like he is eating potato chips.

:laughhard: This description really tickled my funny bone, something about a dragon eating shed skin "potato chips." Dear dragon. :mrgreen:

I believe that this is just something that they do and i am not sure that i agree with it having anything to do with calcium. beauf gets .5 cc of liquid calcium a day per his body weight with a syringe and he still insists he's eating it to the point that he chases me away from it if i try and pick it out of his viv.....

The idea of eating skin=not getting enough calcium was thrown out as a possibility, and given the circumstances here, a rather distinct one at that. I found it rather an interesting and plausible one myself (and well, being that it was offered by Vicky, I have every reason to believe it :) ). Of course, it certainly doesn't have to be true of all beardies. I imagine the reasons for eating shed could easily vary from dragon to dragon. I thought the idea of in the wild, eating their shed skin would keep them from leaving a trail a very intriguing possibility indeed (thanks Barbara!). I learn something new here every day... sometimes multiple things. :D

And then there is our dragon, who shed her torso today. She'll occasionally lick or nibble at a bit of it, but she seems to go out of her way to leave the big chunks on the other side of the enclosure, where she leaves me all her "precious gifts" so for the most part, she's not interested in eating skin. Kind of in the same way she's NOT interested in eating veggies (will nibble a bit, but that's about it). :roll:

That's so cute that he chases you off. He must be like me, really likes his potato chips!

The best,
Em

he certainly has his quirks. very original he is. I wasn't saying that the lack of calcium wasn't a possibility, i was just saying that i think all bearded dragons are a little off with the things they do and that no two (from all the info on here) are completely the same, some are just a little more off than others... (like beauf)....like i said he gets the liquid amount daily for his weight from http://www.beautifuldragons.com (this is what i was told to put him on from one of the admins on here) and he is doing super mega great and he only hisses at me some of the time now, but he still doesn't think its funny when i try and steal his sheds....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom