Illegal to own a beardie!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Legislative Alert!
UPDATED: 2/11/09

Everyone needs to be aware of two bills that have been introduced into Congress on 1/26/09 and 2/3/09.
H.R. 669 introduced into the House by Rep. Madeleine Bordallo [GU], and S.373 in the Senate introduced by Sen. Bill Nelson [FL].

S.373

I'll deal with the second one first since it is simpler. S.373 is a bill proposing the ammendment of Title 18 of the US code. This title concerns the importation and interstate transport of injurious wildlife. The text of the bill is short and is as follows:
Section 42(a)(1) of title 18, United States Code, is amended in the first sentence by inserting `; of the constrictor snake of the species Python genera' after `polymorpha'.

The text of this first paragraph of Title 18 can be read at Cornell's website here.
What this bill will do if passed is include the entire Python genus in the list of species banned from importation and interstate transport and commerce, labeling them all as injurious.
This means everything from Retics to Savu pythons, and yes this includes Balls. Importation will be stopped entirely, and all interstate shipping and transport of all pythons will end if this bill is passed.

S.373 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. See the borrom of the page for a link to the members of this committee. I urge you to contact them while it is still under their review.

H.R. 669

H.R. 669 is an even worse bill. I'll quote USARK on what this bill means to the hobby, because they said it very well:

"If passed as written this bill will BAN the import, purchase, sale, trade and breeding of many, many reptiles and amphibians... including Boa, Python and Eunectes. If this bill passes it will destroy the reptile community and industry overnight!"

That statement is not an exaggeration, it is a fact. The Humane Society of the United States is in full support of this bill. For those of you in the hobby that have doubted the threat of the HSUS that I and others have been talking about for years this should finally convince you.
Below is a direct quote from the HSUS website concerning this bill. The page on their site can be seen here http://tinyurl.com/dk4nsc

The Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International welcomed the introduction yesterday of the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669) in the U.S. House of Representatives by Congresswoman Madeleine Z. Bordallo (D-Guam).

The bill is designed to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife species that may harm the economy, the environment, human health or native wildlife. H.R. 669 would require the federal government to assess the risk of nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation and, with public input, decide if the importation of these animals should be allowed or prohibited.

"Each year, millions of wild animals are captured overseas and imported into the United States," said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of The HSUS. "This trade results in the suffering and death of large numbers of animals, poses unnecessary risks to public health and jeopardizes native wildlife populations here and abroad. We are grateful to Congresswoman Bordallo for working to address this global problem."

Imported wild animals may escape or may be let loose by owners who cannot properly care for them. These animals sometimes die from starvation, predation or exposure. Sometimes, however, they thrive — putting people, domestic pets and native wildlife at risk.

H.R. 669 is a much more complex bill and carries further reaching consequences that S.373.
It will not only ban the import and interstate transportation of all Boa species, all Python species, and Anacondas, it will also ban their possession and contains NO grandfather clause to allow you to keep the animals you currently have. If this is passed then all the ball python collections people have that are valued in the tens of thousands of dollars will instantly become illegal to possess.

Here is a quote from the text of H.R. 669:

SEC. 6. PROHIBITIONS AND PENALTIES.

(a) Prohibitions- Except as provided in this section or in section 7, it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States to--

(1) import into or export from the United States any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species issued under section 4;

(2) transport between any State by any means whatsoever any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species issued under section 4;

(3) violate any term or condition of a permit issued under section 7;

(4) possess (except as provided in section 3(f)), sell or offer to sell, purchase or offer to purchase, or barter for or offer to barter for, any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1);

(5) release into the wild any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1); or

(6) breed any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1), or provide any such species to another person for breeding purposes.

Pay very close attention to numbers 2, 4, and 6. No transporting across state lines, no selling or trading, and NO BREEDING of species on the list.
That's correct, folks, even the possession of any of the species they decide to add to the list will be illegal.

Now here's the kicker. These two bills actually are worded so that if both are passed they will work together. H.R. does not actually name specific species, those will be named and aeeded as time goes on, and any species proposed for inclusion will be subject to public comment.
It does however include by default any species listed in Title 18. If S.373 is passed as well, the entire Python genus will be added to Title 18 and therefore included by default as being banned by H.R. 669 without public comment.

This is absolutely the most serious attack on our hobby in our history. Neither of these bills must be allowed to pass.

H.R.669 has been referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources. See below fo ra link to a list of the members of this committee. We should contact them now as well, while the bill remains under their review. It should be noted that Bordello herself, who introduced this bill, is a member fo this committee.

Everyone, regardless of what reptiles you currently keep, needs to contact their state senators and representatives and demand they vote no on both of these bills. The information on where to contact your congressmen will be listed at the end of this page.
It cannot be stressed strongly enough the importance of fighting these bills by every means at our disposal. When writing your congressmen keep a few things in mind. Be civil and professional. Do not use foul language or insulting comments. Be sure to mention the negative economic impact these bills will have on you personally as well as the industry as a whole.
The potential for economic effects carries significant weight with lawmakers. They will consider that more seroiusly than just our own enjoyment of keeping these animals.

Do not think that this will just go away, or that others will take up the fight for you. Every herper must do his part and make his voice heard. Now is the time for action, our hobby has never before seen a threat of such magnitude.

Here are come links concerning the proposed legislation:

http://thomas.loc.gov/ - The Thomas search engine. Enter the search term H.R. 669 or S.373 and select bill number to read the full text of either bill. I cannot link directly to the text of the bills because search results expire within a few minutes to keep the results current.

http://www.house.gov/ - U.S. House of Representatives. Find your Representative here

http://www.senate.gov/ - U.S. Senate. Find your Senator here.

U.S. Code Title 18 - Read the section of Title 18 regarding injurious wildlife

HSUS statement - The page on the HSUS site stating their support for H.R. 669

USARK - The homepage of United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK)

PIJAC - The homepage of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC)

House Committee on Natural Resources - Member list for this committee

Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works - Member list for this commitee

Link to original thread - http://www.arbreptiles.com/lastword/legislation.shtml

mischa

Juvie Member
I can understand why they want to do it, but they are going at it the wrong way they need to think about it longer and come up with a system to where the responsible people like us can still own and have these pets while the irresponsible people cannot!

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
I will double check with my reptile expert here in PA (he earns a living working with reptiles) but whe nI last asked he said this is more to ekep people from bringing home snakes,etf (turltes) from the woods and trying to make pets out of them. He said if you buy from the captive rbeeders than the law wont apply to us. Hope this helps some. Like Isaid I will check with him again and let you know

LJean

Extreme Poster
Pay very close attention to numbers 2, 4, and 6. No transporting across state lines, no selling or trading, and NO BREEDING of species on the list.
That's correct, folks, even the possession of any of the species they decide to add to the list will be illegal.

What about this section?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
LJean":515a4 said:

What about this section?

that is the exact section that is of the biggest concern to us. The problem with this wording is that it basically gives the government blanket power to ban any or all species as they wish.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
I normally don't like to much government involvement but I would not mind it if they made it illegal to own a bearded dragon... WITH OUT A LICENSE. To many dummies own reptiles. They are not like dogs and cats and majority of the people don't understand that. Just some kind of informational packet that a person has to read over stating that the release of non-native captive animals into the wild is bad for the ecosystem and stuff. Make sure people that are buying a snake know how big it will get at full size so you don't have anyone releasing a snake because they did not know their snake was going to grow to be over 6 feet long.

I skimmed through some of it and it looked more like they want to make it illegal to buy, sell, or breed, trade any animal that they say that we can not. That's what I don't like. Lets just hope it does not get to that point. From what I remember in my government class out of the thousands that get introduced to congress only like 1% pass. However still does not hurt to get ready for anything.

renich

Juvie Member
munchkins9802":c9103 said:
I will double check with my reptile expert here in PA (he earns a living working with reptiles) but whe nI last asked he said this is more to ekep people from bringing home snakes,etf (turltes) from the woods and trying to make pets out of them. He said if you buy from the captive rbeeders than the law wont apply to us. Hope this helps some. Like Isaid I will check with him again and let you know

munchkins, did you have a chance to check with your breeder?

Personally, I can't see how they can ban these animals. So many homes already have reptiles in them. How would they control that?

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
As I said in the other threads, everyone, we need to stop this before they have a chance to take this further. We need to do something about this! Please write to your local congressman, media outlets, the cosigners of the bills (last page of the following link), and sign petitions! We need to prevent Congress from getting this passed under the nose of everyone. If they can take our pets, what next?

http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf

joprukop22

We actually were discussing this bill in my Wildlife policy and law class this week. Every one who enjoys and loves their reptiles, or just wants to defend our right to own pets, needs to write their congressman today. Hopefully this will all blow over but we need to take action as owners and protects our pets. Please visit https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml to find out how you can contact your congressman. The more people that write, the more likely we are to keep our pets.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
at this point the only animals that this bills covers are animals that are possibly dangerous to human beings. but i think yall are going up in arms on this for no reason. they have been trying to get bills just like this passed for the past 15 to 20 years and it hasnt happened yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom