How to force feed with a plsstic syringe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
My bud is having trouble going poo. Aside from his daily baths, I'm going to give him some applesauce with olive oil through a plastic syringe, which I hear works like a laxative.

And he won't take it from an eyedropper. I tried.

How should I hold him? How should I get his mouth open?

I've never done this before. Any other info you could give would be awesome.

Thanks.

~~a paranoid mommy

mischa

Juvie Member
You should really get a needle less syringe from the vet but the dropper should work. Simply wedge the tip gently between your beardies lips and gently slide it back and your beardie should open their mouth.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Or you could try just the applesauce (in the NO NEEDLE SYRINGE--I got mine from the pharmacy as the vet was out of small at the time). Or try babyfood butternut squash instead of applesauce
Then put it close to his mouth and let a little drop near his mouth and he/she should lick it right up (if not do what other poster said)

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
From past experience force feeding is stressful for both you and your dragon and really should be a last option.

If your dragon is still eating I would dunk a worm or two into the olive oil or applesauce. They get plenty into their system that way and you avoid the trauma and struggle.

If you decide you really do need to syringe I wouldnt recommend trying to wedge the syringe in because you can bruise and cut their gums very easily if they wriggle or try to flick you away (mine bloody do!). Insted I found it is much better to put your thumb and first finger together on the tip of their nose/mouth, then slide your fingers apart and down the side of your dragons mouth for about 3 cms and then gentley apply pressure.
He should open his mouth a crack and when he does pop the syringe tip in and slide it down the side of one side of his mouth. If you squirt in right at the top they can aspirate the liquid.

If he wriggles and you are having a hard time because he's trying to back away I used to simply put him onto a hand towel and fold it back onto him, not a full burrito but it means he cant wiggle backwards.

Best of luck.
Holly

mischa

Juvie Member
Ethelia":8ca86 said:
Hi there,
From past experience force feeding is stressful for both you and your dragon and really should be a last option.

If your dragon is still eating I would dunk a worm or two into the olive oil or applesauce. They get plenty into their system that way and you avoid the trauma and struggle.

If you decide you really do need to syringe I wouldnt recommend trying to wedge the syringe in because you can bruise and cut their gums very easily if they wriggle or try to flick you away (mine bloody do!). Insted I found it is much better to put your thumb and first finger together on the tip of their nose/mouth, then slide your fingers apart and down the side of your dragons mouth for about 3 cms and then gentley apply pressure.
He should open his mouth a crack and when he does pop the syringe tip in and slide it down the side of one side of his mouth. If you squirt in right at the top they can aspirate the liquid.

If he wriggles and you are having a hard time because he's trying to back away I used to simply put him onto a hand towel and fold it back onto him, not a full burrito but it means he cant wiggle backwards.

Best of luck.
Holly
Yeah this is a great way. I was tired when I made my post, so I didnt go into to much detail sorry.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
If I may add to this question.... I need to know how much to feed when force feeding. There must be an amount determined by weight as a minimum to keep them healthy and from losing too much weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom