Coccidia and Pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty88

My small dragons both came up with positive!The vet said the counts were high. The vet gave me Panacur after weighing Rex and Diesel and another med called calcibird?Any1 know what this is?Anyway my dragons are really looking bad right now.. They hardly opening their eyes,i am so concerned for them. How long does it take to start seeing results?i started the meds on Sunday?Pls Help thanx

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Hi! Did he actually give you a count? I will ask the questions they usually ask. Others will chime in I am sure
How old is your dragon?
Does he a have a UVB light, if so what brand?
What type of substrate do you use?
What are basking temps and cool side temps?
About how big is your dragon?
What is his/her diet?

Private mail Tracie, Drache613 she will get back to you.She has beenmy lifeline for almost 6 weeks now

scotty88

Original Poster
hey,no the vet gave me no count,just said it was a high count! oh sorry the vet also gave them Baycox which im guessing is 4 the coccidia? Both my dragons are about 3 months old,the one dragon has not grown since i got him due to him being sick.. I got a repti Glo 10.0 30 watt. My next bulb will is def gonna be a repti sun. Im using newspaper to keep the tank as sterile as possible!My temps are 100 for basking and 75-80 for the cool side.(digital probe). Well they both used to eat crickets but they not eating now,im force feeding at the moment. Well i work in cm,they about 13 cm long and way round 10 grams. Thanx scott

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Scott,
Seriously PM Tracie (she is on several links here an you hit OPM and she will get back to you quickly)
Julianne

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know I sent you a PM in response, but thought I would answer here too. :D
Could you tell me how much Baycox he dosed him at? Yes, it is an anticoccidial agent & is pretty effective. He did not give you a count though? I will double check your dosage on the Baycox, but I need his bodyweight first. What is the schedule of his medication round?
Are your dragons housed together? If so you need to be very diligent with cleaning so they do not reinfect each other. Coccidia is very contagious & they can get very ill from high counts.
Be sure also, that you are using a probiotic such as acidophiliz, nutribac or benebac to help restore the natural gut flora in the GI tract so his digestion is not disturbed too much.
The Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb or the compact bulb are not good bulbs, unfortunately. You are going to need to get either a Reptisun 10 or an Arcadia D3 12% flourescent tube bulb for better UVB emissions. Oh I see you are planning on getting a Reptisun, then good.
The newspaper is a great idea, or you could go with paper towels, either one is easy to clean up.
Let me know how they are doing.

Tracie

scotty88

Original Poster
Morning tracie!The baycox was done by my vet. seems to be 2.5% liquid looking at my vet bill.. no no count was given to me but the vet must have thought it was high enough to give meds. My dragons are only bout 10 grams at the moment,they both have not put on any weight since i bought them from the store. My dragons are housed together,and i clean the whole day and hace removed alot of features in the tank to keep it sterile as possible. The meds are as follows,panacur(dillluted solution i was told)1 drop per mouth once daily for 5 days repeat course after 10 days. The baycox was given by the vet which im going back to on monday for a check up/re weigh. As for my repti glo tube,i just bought the thing,i dont think i can afford another one,gonna have to wait 6 months i guess or does it make such a diff?
Thanks scotty

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Scotty,

Hm, well, the Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube if used correctly, & by that I mean, it is 10 inches away from your dragons as well as placed directly by a bright white basking light will be safe. However, it does not emit good quality UVB. It can affect the rate of growth of your dragons because of the wavelength that it does not put out. The particular wavelength is poor & does not favor D3 synthesis & it will hinder calcium absorption too. We have seen cases where the dragons which have been under this bulb for awhile begin showing signs of metabolic bone disease. So, using a better bulb can save you & your dragons alot of heartache later on of poor health. So if there is any way you can exchange it do try to. As using it for 6 months is a long time when your dragons are so young & need to grow.
Well, they are pretty small to be getting Baycox. I hope that they are being dosed properly. The 2.5% is fine, but as long as he dosed them according to their weight is what I am concerned with. The Panacur is quite safe, so if that is all they are getting I am not too concerned with that. Do you know what it is diluted to though?
I hope they are doing better.

Tracie

scotty88

Original Poster
If i had known what i knew now my entire setup would be changed!There seems to be many flaws in my setup. anyway im working on improving asap! Ok so went out to buy a basking light and came across exo terra sun glo daylight spots in 50 watt for my setup,i came across the tight beam while shopping,which 1 is the better bulb here?if they any good. Im off to the vet tom for a re-weigh and will ask all the questions i have not be able to answer to you tracie... I cant wait to see their progress after a week of treatment now!The good news is my 1 dragon diesel is looking alot more alert today and even managed a cric,really happy:) Thanks scotty

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Scotty,

The Sun Glo is a good basking bulb, no problems there. So you are using a 50watt then? What are the temps getting to with the 50watt? You can get the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb to put right by the Sun Glo to give him the UVB & heat in a focused area.
Let me know the weight of them.
Great that Diesel is looking better today. I hope that they are both eating well & will get better quickly for you.
Definitely keep me posted on them. Keep them well hydrated while on the medication rounds, ok?

Tracie

scotty88

Original Poster
Ok good at least for now i got a good basking light!The reptiglo is 30 cm from my dragons. so thats sorted. I went out and got the Sun glo tight beam in 50 watts which turned out perfect coz i was going to go with the 75 watt at the moment im getting a basking temp of 107-109 F. Diesel seems to eat the odd cricket but rex is still looking sick and will not eat. They getting a bath in warm water which covers the vent and they soak for about 15 minutes,is that ok?

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Scotty,

That sounds fine. They should be ok with that lighting setup until you get the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb.
The temps are good, as well. So you still have one that is not feeling real good still?
Are you giving probiotics?
Yes the bath for 15 minutes is fine, that will help out with hydration levels.

Keep me posted!

Tracie

scotty88

Original Poster
Diesel got his meds alot faster than rex because i caught it very early in him!he seems much more active/alert. As for rex,little improvment fot him. I dont have ant probiotics for them,any suggestions on what is good?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Scotty,

How are things going?
Probiotics, well you have 3 choices. :D
You can get acidophiliz:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cName=Medications%20%26%20Treatments&cPath=75&sort=3a&page=2

You can get benebac:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cName=Medications%20%26%20Treatments&cPath=75&sort=3a&page=2

Or, you can get nutribac:
http://www.reptileuv.com/nutribac-df-probiotic-for-reptiles.php

Or, you can get non dairy soy yogurt at the grocery store. Any of these products will work as a good probiotic for them.

Tracie

scotty88

Original Poster
Ok thanks i had to get yoghurt,i don't think they stock any other probiotic that u listed in South Africa!Ok so how much would i give to my dragons(+-10 grams) and how often?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Scotty,

Oh ok South Africa huh? I will have to do some checking. I know that there are tons of products out there that are specific to certain areas in the world. At least you found some yogurt. It is the soy yogurt, right, & non dairy?
Just give a half of a teaspoon daily that should be sufficient. It does not take very much to help them out.
How are they doing today?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom