Ozzy's leg is swollen!!! HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frillwill

Ozzy is a rescue that we've had for almost a year. His right front leg is truned in slightly and his tail is crooked from not having UVB exposure from the previous owner. I noticed two days ago that his left rear leg was a little swollen, I checked him out and he could still use it, today he's not moving it at all. When I try to pet him he puffs and opens his mouth, I think he would bite me even though he's the sweetesst thing ever. Could this be due to his old MBD problems??? He's ate some of his greens but is uninterested in his crickets. Any Information would be helpful, I won't be able to get him to the Vet until Friday, and then I'll have to find a good one that actuallyknows what they're talking about. HELP!!!!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Im sorry to hear about Ozzy's leg.

Is he putting any weight on it at all?
Have you observed him moving around?
A picture of the swelling would really help.

You can start by filling us in on his enclosure.

How old is your dragon?
What basking lighting are you using?
What UV light are you using? Please be specific as to brand.
How old is your light?
What substrate is he on?
What is he fed on?
Do you suppliment his food?
Is he given baths?
When was his last bowel movement?
Did it seem normal?

Holly

frillwill

Original Poster
He hasn't lost any that I can tell, he's a good weight, tail nice and fat at the base.
Not putting any weight on it.
Moving around slowly but still not usuing it.
Camera isn't here I'll try to get it later, I can say that the swelling is more in the ankle region.
When we got him about a year ago the guy said he was about one and 1/2, so that would make him 2, 2 1/2, if he knew what he was talking about, which I'm not sure about b/c he got Ozzy from another owner. The guy who gave him to us worked at PetCo, which I've found out, doesn't mean much... :(
Enclosure:
2 and 1/2 ft deep, 4ft tall, 5 1/2 ft long.
lighting two basking lights Zoo-Med, one long Zoo-Med light 10.0 UVB and it's only about thre months old.
Newspaper for now, normally Bed-ABeast
Yes, we supplement every three days
Bowel movement been two days since, and it did seem normal, white with a firm turd afterwards...
He's had three baths in four days, we try to soak the at least once a week...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Sorry I dont think I was clear :) I meant is he putting any weight on his foot or is he holding it off the ground?
And we are talking about the ankle? Is the foot swollen too?

Have you tried applying light pressure to the swelling?
Does he seem in discomfort?

Im not familiar with bed-a-beast. Is it like sand? Wood?

Holly

frillwill

Original Poster
No, it's on the ground just not really helping him move, when he does, so no, I don't think he's putting any weight on it.
Bed-A-Beast is like Eco-Earth, like coconut fiber.
Yes, when I touch it he jerks it away and acts like he wants to bite. It hurts(his leg) . His foot isn't really swollen, it's swollen mostly in the ankle and a little in the thigh area...

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I was hoping for it to be something like impaction, which can often lead to lesser mobility in the legs.

However the wincing when you touch the area is real cause for concern, and I would suggest you take him to the vet for an x-ray to be sure.
Although they are hardy creatures there bones do remain tiny, he could have sprained or broken something when dropping from a branch or platform badly.

Holly

frillwill

Original Poster
I felt pretty sure that's what had happened, he could've fallen from several places in his cage. Now,my new problem is finding a good vet... The last one we went to I believe they ended up killing the baby beardie that we had brought them by giving him and injection in his ribs!!! I believe they punctured his lung b/c by the time we got him home he was gasping for air and then died. He had had a respiratory infection and was there for his second shot of three... Well, thank you for your help anyway. Much appreciated... :blob5:

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Im sorry I couldnt help further.
Unfortunatly there are some things that really do need a vets oppinion.

Keep us updated on Ozzy's ankle.

Holly

darkcirca

Hatchling Member
How is his leg positioned, could it possibly have a break?

Depending on his state, they will generally try to 'splint' a break by tying it back to the tail. I had a leopard gecko that had MBD and broke her rear leg. You could physically tell it was broken. Due to the MBD, they were unable to splint her leg, and she just had to lay around (I moved her to a smaller environment).
aw2.JPG

Once she got her calcium levels up, she was able to heal her leg. You can still tell there is something a little bit wrong, as it is a little swollen - but nothing to be concerned about:
aw3.jpg

She did not want anyone to touch her leg during this time. I had an anti-inflammatory they gave me for her, as well as a antibiotic (plus calcium for the MBD). She's permanently on liquid calcium now, as she cannot process powdered calcium like most animals can.

Vet lists:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/#vetlist
http://www.repticzone.com/articles/reptileveterinarians.html

If anything, maybe your vet could get in contact with another vet and go from there. I know all the vets in my area resort to Dr.Stahl for advice (http://www.seavs.com).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is sad he did not have UVB previously. Unfortunately, that does set them up for problems with calcium in the future. I would definitely get an x-ray as well as request some liquid calcium to help him out. Sometimes, when they have had MBD in the past, liquid calcium helps much more than powdered calcium does to maintain calcium levels.
There is also a product called serrapeptase which is dried silkworm enzyme. It helps with swelling, joint inflammation & just overall swelling in general. You can get it from http://www.serrapeptase.org

I hope he is going to be ok. You should also adjust the height of the basking platform for him so he doesn't have to climb up on anything to further hurt himself. Then you will need to change the basking lights & UVB light accordingly for him.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

frillwill

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone, that is very useful information, I'm making an appointment for Friday. I've moved him out of the cage he was in with Puff (his girl), and into a much smaller cage, I've also made a better basking platform for him so he doesn't have to climb at all. i previously didn't know that his past MBD problems would make his bones weaker. I will try to get some of the liquid calcium, However, he's not really interested in his crickets and he'll only take the Supers if I hand feed him. He just looks so sad... I feel for my baby. Does he need to stay in the smaller cage, even after he's recovered, and do I need to keep Puff out?? I just was thinking he is a little fiesty when she's in there and I wouldn't want him to hurt himself by showing out for her. They're not breeding or anything, just together for company. He seemed happier once we put her in there with him about 6 1/2 months ago...
Thanks again to you all...

darkcirca

Hatchling Member
See what the vet says on Friday and if he doesn't give you liquid calcium, you can ask for it.

I order mine online, as the vet charges a fortune for a tiny bottle:
http://www.americarx.com/Products/13014.html?utm_source=1far2obo3gcl4ed&utm_medium=1cap2cb&utm_term=Calcionate%2BSyrup&utm_campaign=product
--You can probably find this somewhere else, under a different name. Just have to look around.

For that leo I pictured above, I gave her 1 drop twice a day, for 21 days I believe it was. It is all based on weight though. The vet can calculate that out. She was around 50g when she went in with MBD (and is now around 80g!), and she came out fine. I just have to make sure she gets liquid calcium about 2-3 times a week, to prevent another runaround with it.

Goodluck on the vet appointment. Hopefully things turn around.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, you can leave him in the smaller tank right now, as long as he is by himself. He will better off by himself & will eventually get used to it. It will be less stressful him without having to display all of the time for the female anyway.
Once he gets better, you can upgrade him to a larger tank when he can get around better. Good he doesn't have to climb to bask & get his UVB's either that will help him.
Another thing you can do right now to help strengthen his muscles & bones is to do water therapy with him daily. Fill the plastic bin or tub up high enough to where he has to swim. It will give him some exercise with no stress on his joints that may hurt a little bit.
Is he eating much today?
Keep us posted on him. Good you will be taking him to the vet on friday, so let us know how it goes.

Tracie

frillwill

Original Poster
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped!!! We purchased Bone Aid liquid calcium and some Repti-Aid to help stregthen his Immune system and to promote healing. So, along with the water therapy he is usuing his leg this morning and crawling around on our bed like he used to. It's still a little swollen but I think with another week he'll be back to normal. Again, I want to say thanks...
Nikki

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Nikki,

Great that Ozzy is doing better & his leg is healing up nicely now. So it is not swollen nearly as much then? The bone aid must be really helping with his calcium levels.
Maybe the water therapy is helping too. It sounds like he is getting back to his active self too, which is wonderful. I am happy that he is improving & feeling better now.
Let us know if you need anything.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom