CAN bearded dragons get along in the same tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I constantly hear reccomendations that they need to be housed seperately, but are there any cases where they actually get along?
I have two bearded dragons, both 3 months old. I got one a few days ago because she looked so miserable in the shop, and have her in the same 60 gallon tank with my original one. They are laying on top of each other, chasing crickets together, and don't seem to have any problems.

Will something bad happen later on? They are both females?

And I am giving the new female to one of my friends, but they seem to be getting along so well....

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
The general concensus on this board is no. They might get along now but later on it will stress them out. I'm sure there are others on this board who can fill you in. Search in the search box for LG and you will see what can happen.

Ambulance

Hatchling Member
I strongly recommend NOT housing dragons together.
I was told I could house dragons together when I first got my dragons, and now one of them does not have a tail! (([ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=74666 f=45 ]))
when they lay on top of each other (I know, it's cute!) that is a sign of dominance going on- the one on top is being dominant.
there is too much risk, too many bad stories, please don't risk it.

naomithealien

Original Poster
Yeah, I definitely am NOT keeping them together.
I thought that I could afford a new one, but I can't,
which is why I am giving the new one away.
I was just wondering, that's all..
because I always see bearded dragons together at the pet stores, even the ones that specialize in reptiles.

You guys are definitely right, thanks for the answers

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Size and age are the most important factors if you house dragons together. Up to 4 months old as many as 4 can be happy in a 4'x2' cage. After 4 months sexes need to be separated, and then males get their own cage and females, if housed together, need about 6 sq ft each ( you can do your own math ) It always bums me out to here these stories of dragon on dragon violence, when I have 18 dragons at the moment and I have seen a little aggression but no blood. We simply add to the caging as needed.

Even though it goes against the tide of posts on this site, the social interaction (waving, head bobbing, and stomping, etc.) is fascinating to watch in a controlled environment. I must say that healthy babies actually seem to grow faster with competition for food.

I'll get out... and take my lumps now 8)

Jeff

Eventide

Hatchling Member
Yeah, most people here don't like the idea of housing beardies in the same tank, for obvious reasons.

However, I know of several people who house beardies together with no problems (myself included). I think it depends on the beardies and their enclosure, access to basking/food, etc.

I still don't quite understand where everyone is getting the "beardies are not social creatures" thing when it seems obvious to me that they are quite social. Males should never be housed together, no, but beardies sure seem to enjoy human contact, and both my friend's beardies and my own get upset if they lose track of their cage mate...which all point to a social creature.

I agree that if there is any indication--however small--of hostility between beardies, then they should be separated immediately. I'm not saying y'all's hesitation to house beardies together is unfounded--quite the contrary. I do think there is a lot of overreaction, however.

Tarkah

It really does depend on the beardies personality.

I definitely won't put two together if one is clearly more dominant.

I had my two beardies (both female) in a 6' x 2 x 2 tank and the more dominant one (even if she was smaller and 3 weeks younger) bossed the bigger one and and constantly tried to chase her away with her mouth opened trying to nip her.

So I had to separate them even if they were both females and were in such a big tank. Though they have been living with each other since they were 6 months, but once they hit puberty the smaller one has become much more dominant.

so i guess it depends on their personality, though i'd be careful I wouldnt want to risk it. =)

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...You also should keep them separate when you get dragons from 2 places to quarateen them. I usually keep them separate for 3 months and do a fecal once a month. If it stays clean for 3 months, usually there isn't a problem.

I also keep 2 or 3 dragons in a tank (bad owner, maybe!). Luckily I have never had any problems with nips or fighting. I never put 2 males together. I did have 2 females that have been together for over a year. Last week, one started chasing the other away from crickets, so I took the smaller one out & put her with a girl whose tank mate I had given to a friend's daughter for Christmas. I am home most days so I can watch & listen to them.

Also, luckily my males don't act studly! However, usually housing a male & female will cause over breeding. This is unhealthy for the female, especially. And it is stressful for the male.

Even tho I did put 2 adults together who are strangers, I don't recommend it unless you are able to watch them most of the time to see if they are compatable.

It is good that you found a home for the new little one since you couldn't take care of him properly.

Good luck
Patsy

cowpie816

well im about to pull a beardie rescue mission and take in a beardie who needs a loving home. it'll be a lil while untill i can give newbie his own house so he gonna bunk wit fatty for a bit. i know its not recommended but does anyone have any helpful hints on how to make it as easy as possible on fatty and his new friend?

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Please don't put them together. No male should have a tank mate, especially if they didn't grow up together and doubly especially if it is another male. For now, just get a rubbermaid type tote at Walmart to put the rescue in.
There is no sense in taking a chance that an already stressed dragon is going to get mauled by one who will most likely be the dominant one. I know you will feel REALLY bad if that happens!!
Plus, any new lizard needs to be quaranteened for at least 3 months to be sure he doesn't bring any parasites, bacteria, coccidia, or viruses etc with him.
Good luck
Patsy

cowpie816

yeah thats what i figured so i have spot all set up for the new guy. how big is the recomended size for a ful grown beardie? i wanna build one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom