bedding for bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsm5010

Is it ok to use nature bark reptile bedding for bearded dragons I was using the crushed walnut it had to go.

Fogles

Juvie Member
I'm almost 100% sure it's fine. The rep shop I got my dragon from used nature bark reptile bedding, it's fine.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
i think that the best substrate for bearded dragons, especially when they are young is tile or the non stick shelf liner. (the kind without holes) I wouldnt trust that bark bedding. one of the most common ways that pet bearded dragons die is of impaction. I just dont trust lose substrate. it can get into their food when they are eating. I guess if you feed your dragon outside of the cage and it is an adult it would lessen the risk. It just a risk i wouldn't take. It seems that it would be hard to know for sure that you got all the poop out when he poops. non stick shelf liner is non absorbent (the kind without holes) and the poop just wipes right off if you catch it early before it dries.

Looks like this

Picture003.jpg

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
No bark. That's a bad idea. If they happen to swallow a piece, then it would rip up their insides. Just imagine what a proportionately sized piece would do if YOU ate it. Stick with non particle substrate. My vote is always for tile.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed. Loose substrate is hazardous. I'm using tile, which is pretty easy to clean; take out the soiled piece and wash it off. However, I put newspaper underneath in case anything leaks in between the tiles...

Tiles also hold heat well.

DSC00252.jpg

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
mojo505":cabb1 said:
how do you treat the tile before it goes in? bleach solution and oven bake?

I put mine in a 1 to 10 bleach/water solution in the bathtub for 5 hours or so.

Make sure to rinse well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom