How to tell if a female has eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opi

My female bearded dragon is about 12 months old, I think she is too young to lay eggs. But I noticed today these little hard bumps in the lower part of her body, almost where her tail starts.

So now I'm wondering if there is a way to know when a female dragon is getting ready to lay eggs?

Thanks!!

sddragons

Juvie Member
Well she is not really to young. Depends on the BD and her size. My 9 month old female has laid eggs twice in the last month and has never been with a male yet. Some mature faster than others , I guess. If she starts digging a lot in your tank, she is probably ready to lay and you should get a lay box prepared.
If she has not been with a male yet, they are probably infertile eggs but she needs to get them out and then you can just freeze them and dispose of them.

opi":21acf said:
My female bearded dragon is about 12 months old, I think she is too young to lay eggs. But I noticed today these little hard bumps in the lower part of her body, almost where her tail starts.

So now I'm wondering if there is a way to know when a female dragon is getting ready to lay eggs?

Thanks!!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
A laybox is a large tub full of damp soil + vermicile or sand. There should be plenty of depth for her to dig down, at least 8 inches Id say.

Dragons like to dig to lay their eggs and then cover them again so the substrate should be damp enough for your dragon to not have it collapse on her if she tries to dig, but not soaking so its too heavy for her to push around. If you are using sand it should be "sandcastle building" consitstancy.

If she starts digging frantically again put her laybox and wait.
She may not "get it" right away but if you put her in the laybox every time she starts digging hopefulyl she will understand.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom