Learned Behavior . . . or Should Come Natural???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Do turtles have to be "taught" how to catch their food? I'm asking because my adopted baby snapping turtle doesn't seem to have a knack on how to catch the food pellets or minnows. With the pellets, I actually have to use a chopstick and sort of hold the pellets in place for him to eat. With the minnows, he'd literally chase the fish around the tank, missing each chomp he delivers, and eventually getting frustrated and give up. At first I thought it was because the food pellets and minnows were too big for his little mouth, but that's no longer the case.

Or do I just have a "slow" learning turtle? :roll:

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
It should come natural, however they aren't great hunters. They don't have speed in their favor. The snapping turtles are a 'sit and wait' type hunter, not a speed hunter. So, when they attempt to chase their food, they bite and bite and never get it. Baby Red Eared Sliders are similar, they have to try several times to finally get a fish, and they give up easily. Practice makes perfect I suppose. Silly turtle.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Trisha. I was seriously starting to think that maybe Buddy was "slow" :lol:
I hope he'll get better at it as he grows up. Otherwise, I'll be assisting forever :roll:

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
Goonie":2adcd said:
Thanks Trisha. I was seriously starting to think that maybe Buddy was "slow" :lol:
I hope he'll get better at it as he grows up. Otherwise, I'll be assisting forever :roll:
Sometimes I wonder myself about certain herps, It seems as though they would never be able to make it on their own in the wild the way they hunt. Even some beardies, they have to try several times for the same worm, I think Grumpy would starve!
Every aquatic Turtle I have ever seen is a bad hunter as a baby. It is funny to watch.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It is even funnier when they give up and seem to sulk about it.
Buddy would go and hide when he gives up, almost as if he's ashamed at himself for not being able to catch the fishies. :lol:

I'll have to catch it on video some day.

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
Goonie":89044 said:
It is even funnier when they give up and seem to sulk about it.
Buddy would go and hide when he gives up, almost as if he's ashamed at himself for not being able to catch the fishies. :lol:

I'll have to catch it on video some day.
aww poor baby. That definatly needs to be caught on video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom