How can you trim a bearded dragons nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwizzle

Hey,
I am trying to figure out how to trim my bearded dragons nails. His nails are so big but don't want to use no clipers or anything. I have heard before that you can use like rocks or stones or stuff like that from the pet store to trim a beardie's nails when he climbs. Is that true or do you have to actually trim them yourself.
Brandon

supertrisha

Juvie Member
I have cut Dragon's nails before- if they have clear nails where you can see the blood vein, just trim the white part with people nail clippers. If they have dark nails, just trim the smallest tip at a time to get rid of sharp edges. Having rocks, slate tiles, and other climbing surfaces will help wear down the nails over time.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello Brandon!

Yes if you use tile and some rock piles in your viv your beardies nails will wear down naturally.
I'm not comfortable with trimming either. We started using tile and rock piles it took a couple of months for their nail to wear down. I didn't have to worry about cutting into the quick. Not only was I worried about cutting to much I was worried that my old girl Ms. Piggy may have drier more brittle nails I was worried that they would split.

I can say that tiles and rocks work great! :mrgreen:

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
Unfortunately, even with tile and rocks in his viv, Sunny's nails don't wear down enough. I have to cut them. I use a nice sharp set of fingernail clippers. Luckily for me, Sunny sits still when I do it. Sometimes he tugs, so if I find him getting a bit impatient with me, I just stop. Even if I do one a day...

I just take a tiny bit off at a time because his are dark in color and I really can't tell how far to go.

jwizzle

Original Poster
Well to me I just want to right now get it so that he wont scratch me up when i pick him up. See I have to pick him up and get him calm enough were he wont move so I can put his medicine the vet gave me and its really hard to get him calm at first. When he gets out of the tank he starts scratching and scratching me so he can climb up my arm so that is right now my man priority with the nails to get it so they wont be so sharp enough to scratch. I should have told the vet to do it but I forgot. If I had a website I would show you his picture of him but since I don't there is no way I can. He does have dark nails though, there like between dark and clear but not clear.
Brandon

angelsue

Hatchling Member
I had this problem with Oscar and didn't want to chance cutting them so the other day when he was sitting on the back of the couch i filed them with my nail file and he just sat there it was so funny and it worked :D

renich

Juvie Member
i've never enjoyed cutting anyone's nails, my beardie, my dogs nor my sons! lol..

for bernie, my beardie, it's been beneficial to clip his nails close to bed time. I'll take him out 30 minutes before lights out. He'll curl up on the sofa and then I'll clip his nails.

if you do cut the vein, cornstarch will stop the bleeding. you can also use a product designed for this purpise for dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom