please help burned tail!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacklyn

we came home and saw that our babies tale looked burned i dont know what to do. we gave him a bath but it still looks bad. he eats normal and is still active but is there anything we can do? there isnt any heat rocks or anything hot inside the tank but we did just change the heat lamp to a hotter bulb because it wasnt getting hot enough. please help i feel really bad

jacklyn

Original Poster
hunter159.jpg

hunter158.jpg

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh my I am so sorry.What are the temps in the tank?Are you using a heat mat?Are you sure its a burn?

Ok first thing I would do is clean it off with some weak diluted betadine(mixed with water) and then I would put some neosporin on it.DO NOT put peroxide on it.I also recommend you get to the vet.You want to make sure the tail doesnt get infected and either way your beardie may need to have that part of his tail removed.It does look pretty bad.

jacklyn

Original Poster
no heat pads we dont use them no heat rocks or anything like that. the only thing we can think of is he got to close to the heat lamp somehow. we lowered their hammock and moved everythning away from the light so they couldnt get as close. the tank wasnt getting hot enought so we bought a hotter bulb and he was fine whne we left and an hour and a half later when we got home it looked like that. do you know where to get that stuff?? we have the cream but not the other stuff,

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
jacklyn":e51cf said:
no heat pads we dont use them no heat rocks or anything like that. the only thing we can think of is he got to close to the heat lamp somehow. we lowered their hammock and moved everythning away from the light so they couldnt get as close. the tank wasnt getting hot enought so we bought a hotter bulb and he was fine whne we left and an hour and a half later when we got home it looked like that. do you know where to get that stuff?? we have the cream but not the other stuff,
Ok you said "their" hammocks, are you cohousing?Its very possible if this was the case that its a bite and not a burn.You can get betadine and neosporin from any pharmacy they are human meds :wink:

jacklyndashno

yes he lives with is brother. they are from the same clutch. do you think maybe it can be a bite and not a burn? its like red all around, i dont know how to tell the diff but it looks like a burn. how often should i put the meds on him? the closet reptile vet is over an hour away, do you think his tail will fall off or maybe we can keep it clean and help it heal so he can save it?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
jacklyndashno":241d3 said:
yes he lives with is brother. they are from the same clutch. do you think maybe it can be a bite and not a burn? its like red all around, i dont know how to tell the diff but it looks like a burn. how often should i put the meds on him? the closet reptile vet is over an hour away, do you think his tail will fall off or maybe we can keep it clean and help it heal so he can save it?
Oh I see.Yes I think its a bite.Male beardies shouldnt be kept together.They are very aggressive and can and will fight and sometimes even to death.It does look like an injury not a bite.I would get him to the vet if at all possible.You dont want to have it get infected and have it travel up his tail.Bites can easily get infected in the meantime I would soak the tail a few times daily and put the neosporin on it 2x per day and if possible keep it covered.I also recommend you seperate them asap as the aggression can and will progress.If you keep it clean and get him to the vet the tail may be savable but I cant say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom