AHHHH always something new!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrbowl

So the latest learning curve for our bd is she has two types of parasites, both on the +4.0 scale. Not feeling very good about that. She is on Septra 1.5 (ml) once daily for 2 weeks. The vet was great ( after some awful office crap) he sat down and talked in length about what we were doing right and what we needed to change. We feeding her too many crickets and not enough veggies and she was constipated. Too many multivitamins, but other than that, he said we were good.

So my question is, how do you get these critters called parasites? Can they get to us humans? How can you tell if they are completely gone? How can I keep her from getting them again? And any other information I need to know but am not knowledgeable enough to ask!!!!!! Kind of like I'm too stupid to even know what questions to ask??!!! Guess a college degree wasn't enough!!!

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
I don't have any answers to your questions, so sorry about that. But now I know that it ain't all about the crickets, you gotta throw in some veggies ( even though my beardie never goes to the water dish or the food dish ).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, coccidia is a naturally occuring parasite that bearded dragons have in the normal gut flora. It is only when the levels get too high that they begin to cause health issues. A 4+ is beginning to get a little high so if it was affecting his appetite, then treatment is a good option as long as proper dosage was done & a fecal was performed correctly.
The dosage of 1.5 mls of Septra sounds really high unless it is in a water or syrup solution. Do you know if it is? How much does your dragon weigh?
The only way you will know if the parasites & or worms are under control would be to do another fecal on her. An acceptable level is 2 or under.
What type of vitamins are you giving & how often are you giving? How old is your dragon?
How many crickets are you feeding & how often do you feed her?
Normally you cannot "catch" the worms or parasites from your dragon, no. Just be sure to wash your hands after handling any feces.
Are you providing adequate UVB lighting & calcium?

Tracie

carrbowl

Original Poster
Drache613":653a3 said:
Hello,

Well, coccidia is a naturally occuring parasite that bearded dragons have in the normal gut flora. It is only when the levels get too high that they begin to cause health issues. A 4+ is beginning to get a little high so if it was affecting his appetite, then treatment is a good option as long as proper dosage was done & a fecal was performed correctly.
The dosage of 1.5 mls of Septra sounds really high unless it is in a water or syrup solution. " It reminds me of the pink antibiotics your kids get when they are little, pink liquid" Do you know if it is? How much does your dragon weigh? "249 gm and 12 m"
The only way you will know if the parasites & or worms are under control would be to do another fecal on her. An acceptable level is 2 or under.
What type of vitamins are you giving & how often are you giving? " Rep Cal Multi Vitamins and Calcium--we were giving both at every feeding. The vet said the multivitamins need to be given only once weekly, but the calcium every time you feed. So we put some calcium in a cup, put the crickets in it and shake them up." How old is your dragon? "About 10 months"
How many crickets are you feeding & how often do you feed her? " we were feeding her 15-20 large crickets 3 times daily then the next day would be veggies. The vet said it was too much crickets which is why she wasn't eating enough veggies thus getting constipated. So we have cut back on crickets and hope she eats more veggies"

She only ate 5 crickets last night and seems like the antibiotics seem to leave a bad test in her mouth. I'm guessing that's normal and she will get used to it???? Also what are the good tricks for getting them to take the antibiotics. (And I thought after 4 kids I was done with this!!!!!!??????)
Normally you cannot "catch" the worms or parasites from your dragon, no. Just be sure to wash your hands after handling any feces.
Are you providing adequate UVB lighting & calcium?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom