tile: to grout or not to grout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hi everyone, im planning on redoing both my tanks with tile and i have a few questions.

i am unfarmiliar with the process of floating/grouting and i was wondering if its worth doing that in my cages. i know it would look alot nicer than if i just layed the tiles in there, i just dont know if i'd be getting into something too difficult.

i have a whole box of 6x6" tiles. my brother in law has a tile saw so i can cut them to shape. i was thinking about laying them turned at a 45 degree angle, (x) instead of(+)... it means i would have to make alot of diagonal cuts to fill in the "triangles" around the perimeter of the tank.

if i did all that i would do it right a put spacers in between and grout/seal. i know that is alot of work but i dont look at it that way. if it is logisticly impossible to grout i guess ill just lay them in there like ive been doing. if anyone could give me tips on tiling my terrarium with 6x6" tiles i would appreciate it.

P.S. thank you alex for creating this new forum. just yesterday, i was sorting through the enclosures section trying to find well done projects that i could emulate. this outta do the trick :wink: .

madavies65

Hatchling Member
Hi,

Well ok to answer your question... yes you can grout your tiles into place - just depends on how much time and effort you want to devote to the task... The only word or warning I would say is that grout adds weight to your viv and makes it harder to move around - not mega heavy, but heavy!

I tiled my viv with very small slate (and rough) tiles, so it took a fair bit to time to lay them all down - the good thing about grout is that its waterproof (well it is if u get this kind) comes in many different colours and can set in about an hour. It also doesnt give off fumes like silicone does when curing.

So in summary, the larger the tile the less time it will take to lay it all down - however depends on the look you want to achieve...

here are a few piccies of mine tiled and grouted;

Any more help please neede please let me know

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I think it's an excellent idea. Normally on a floor, you use thinset mortar to stick the tiles down. Thinset is very heavy. Since you aren't using it on a floor or in a shower, you can use construction adhesive or lightweight tile adhesive. Unless you don't plan on sticking it down, but I would use something so it doesnt moeve around when you grout. Don't worry about spacers, I use cut pieces of cardboard from the tile box. Grout is very forgiving, it will hide any minimal mistakes in your lines! If your lines are a little off, they will look beautiful after you grout. You have two kinds of grout, sanded and non-sanded. Sanded is for lines over 1/8" to 1/4" and non sanded is for lines under 1/8". If your lines are fairly thin you can probably still use sanded, it's just a little harder to squish into the cracks. And, with thinner lines you will be using less grout. I think sanded is the way to go with a bd enclosure due to the rough texture and it won't crack as easy when it dries. So make all your cuts and lay your tile out the way you want it ahead of time before you stick it down. Once they are stuck down and won't move around, you can fill all the cracks with grout, let dry for about 12 hours and your done. You won't believe how easy it is and it will really give your enclosure that finished look!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jason!

I think that the grouted tile looks nice.
But being a female and the fact that I tend to change my mind quite often which is my prerogative, I chose to not grout mine in. If I had a home made enclosure rather that tanks I would use grout.
I have 6x6 quarry tiles that I just lay tightly next to each other. I can remove one or ever how many I need to clean when needed.
Keep in mind I have lots of time on my hands. :lol:

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Jason,
I just want to tell you I think you're amazing! I have read your stories and a lot of your posts and I am truly impressed. I'm so glad there are people in this world like you (and a few others on this forum). Sorry to be off topic but I wanted to share my thoughts. Cheryl

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
I'm using 12" tiles in Bogie's new viv. I found some awsome slate tiles at Home Depo. The greys,greens and brwons look so natural to an arid landscape. I'm not grouting 'cause I want to remove them for cleaning and I think these tiles will look better without.
Jason- could you post a pict of your new tiles? Or are you still without a camera? I like the diagonal idea. It's a bit different. Should look great whichever you decide.

Sandy h

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
madavies65":2523c said:
here are a few piccies of mine tiled and grouted;

th_22400__MG_5537_122_696lo.JPG

Are those marijuana leaves you got in there? :roll: Just kidding.

I have slate tile in mine, and I chose to just set them in there. That way, If I get tired of the slate I can just easily pull it out, it also makes clean up easy, as I can pull them out and wash them individually in the sink if needed.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
I have Tile in 2 of my enclosures. I just have them set in there, but if I had a viv that had sliding doors on the front I think I would set and grout them. But ether way you do it, I think its the best. Easier to clean and more sanitary.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
on the "HEAVY" matter and the "CHANGING MINDS" matter....

would it be a good idea to grout the tiles not on to the tank floor, but rather onto a separate, removable piece? Kind of like a "tray of grouted tiles" if you will.

When it gets dirty you slide it out and clean it, maybe even slide in a second one.

Or,

for when you need to transport the tank you can remove the heavy grouted tiles, and make your lifting easier.

AND +fashion bonus+ for all you cool cats out there, you know who you are ;)

you can put in a different looking tile set, diamond patterns? zig-zag? :banghead: no, no, rainbow? :angry5: no worries, :lol: just slide in a new tray! Maybe even go with the holiday seasons? keep it fresh? Halloween is coming up fast, but then what about thanksgiving?

or maybe even a different substrate for "egg binded" dragons who may need dirt, or whatever else you may need?

Patent Pending by the way :lol:

Peter Griffin

Juvie Member
If you are going to go through all of the trouble to grout it onto a separate piece of wood, or whatever. So you can remove the whole thing for cleaning, why not just skip the grout? Individual slate tiles would be easier to remove then a whole board with tiles stuck to it.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
Peter Griffin":6d54f said:
If you are going to go through all of the trouble to grout it onto a separate piece of wood, or whatever. So you can remove the whole thing for cleaning, why not just skip the grout? Individual slate tiles would be easier to remove then a whole board with tiles stuck to it.

I would agree. Sometime they just mess one area and you can take that one tile out. If it was all on one piece you would have to take out all the stuff from you enclosure to get to the one area.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Peter however I do like the way it looks grouted. I just find it easier for me not to grout.
For instance went to Anaheim to the NARBC and took Z&W along with their viv. If the tiles would have been grouted in it would have been difficult. I removed the tiles to move it and the box I had placed the tiles in was quite heavy. The board idea sounds good but remember that the lip/frame work of the viv is not the same as the measurments of the glass it self. Also like James and Peter mentioned it is much easier to remove one or two tiles rather than the entire bottom of the viv.

Whether to grout or not really is a personal preference it's whatever works best for each individual. :)

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
hey, question for slate users and the like:

- how are your BD's nails over long term slate use?
- do you give them some type of alternate terrain? just for change of pace/temp?

thanks

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
i havent had my "nailed" dragons long enough to see any long term results. yes, i do give them different flooring, i am currently experimenting with outdoor carpet. later on, i would like to try hardwood floors :mrgreen: .

here is a pic of my older dragon's setup:
100_4729.jpg

100_4726.jpg

heres a couple more pics showing different configurations ive tried since bringing them home:
beforeafter.jpg

btw, the two larger ones arent together by choice, i rescued them from a petstore. their cage used to be way worse, check it out:

100_4581.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres a pic of my little guys setup. he doesnt have any nails(or feet) but i still use rough tile so he can get traction.
LGtile4.jpg

LGtile3.jpg

LGtile6.jpg

LGtile22.jpg

i am obsessed with creating a visually pleasing yet functional habitat for my three dragons. i really would like to get some hardwood scraps and fit them into a cage. i think that would look great :D .

JessySihk

Nope dont grout =] makes it too heavy, we used Silicone caulking for in between the tiles, it works great and its easier then grouting the tiles by far. When its dry its easy to just wipe down and if you eve want to remove the tiles u just have to pop them up. Very versitle! Ill post pics when i can. The silicone takes a week to dry to the outcome is great, Silicone does shrink as it dries so i suggest, when you see your first caulking start to turn slightly clear and shrink add another layer. I find its easy to make it even in the cracks by using your finger to smooth it. And of course a pepertowel to wipe your fingers on periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom