Illness in humans caused by BD's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peko

My room mate is sure that all reptiles cause skin disease in humans. Lung problems as well. He is not being nice about the fact that I own a BD. He attacks my son, but the Dragon is mine... He needs to be stopped! Can anyone tell me where to get proof that BD's are safe for us??? I am pretty sure that it is Turtles and that sort of reptile that threatens us... I have owned BD's for 7 years and have had no problems, but my roomy doesn't believe us...

Also, I just lost my 7 year old BD. He went sorta blind 4 years ago. His 3rd eye lid covered just over half of his eyes. After bazillion dollars at the vets and no cure, I am at a loss. He finally gave up. We were force feeding him for the last 4 years because he couldn't hunt. It was very sad when he left us! It also proves that we are desperate for vets who know about lizards! I am in Calgary AB, and none of our vets seem to know stuff... very sad! If you live in my area and honestly know of a good lizard vet, I would greatly appreciate the knowledge myself! We have added a new BD to our family. It makes me miss my other Dragon feriously, but we love the new one too... I just can't imagine being without on in my life anymore... they are soooo lovable!

PLEASE HELP!!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I am sorry to hear you lost your beardie.Its obvious you loved him very much.

As for beardies carrying diseases.They are actually dubbed as hypo allergenic pets so you roomate is incorrect.There is only one disease that they are known to carry that can be passed on to us which is Salmonella however you would literally have to lick your beardie to have a real chance at getting it and if you practice hand washing then its almost impossible.Its passed only by their fecal matter and is contained.You have more of a chance of getting it from eating a raw spinach salad then from a beardie.There have been some very rare cases of people having minor skin irritation from a beardie scratch however its minor and nothing a little neosporin wouldnt cure and again direct contact would be needed.As for lung problems and what not that is a complete falcity.

hayl55

Juvie Member
Hu...good to know...never know they were dubed hypoalergenic :)
P.S. good luck with yrou room mate...jsut tell him to buger off adn go lick a toad :p :lol:

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I'm in Calgary too. Try Dr. Richard Weger at Calgary North Animal Hospital. He is extremely knowledgeable about beardies and other exotics. :D

Peko

Original Poster
I was actually at the Animal hospital in the north of Calgary and seen Dr. Weger... Perhaps it is because of the failure in knowledge with my beardie that he looked into them more... he was really at a loss and it was heart breaking to watch him pull and prod at Spikes eyes and poke all around his head... I knew he would have helped if he could, but he just didn't seem to know what to do... and like I said, megga bucks later... still blind and depressed... Right now my new guy is trying out my nerves... he has desided that only horned worms will do... so, I have to put him on very strict diet as to get him out of that groove! I like to give them to him, but he now ignores his crickets, wax worms, vegies... so... just veggies for a while! ( Little bugger...) He really is a sweety... I want him to do well..
Thankyou to everyone who is taking notice to my delemas and giving me your feedback! This is the best site EVER!!!

Peko

Original Poster
I would tell my roomy to go lick a toad, but I almost want him to lick a beardie's bum!!! hahahahahahaha! That would teach him... Of course I would need a dirty beardie for this job and mine is too clean... maybe one from the zoo... :p

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Peko":6b888 said:
I would tell my roomy to go lick a toad, but I almost want him to lick a beardie's bum!!! hahahahahahaha! That would teach him... Of course I would need a dirty beardie for this job and mine is too clean... maybe one from the zoo... :p

Hahahaha, that was to funny. " go lick a beardie's bum!!! " Hahahahah, that would be mean to the beardie your room mate! That would definately be a good revenge tactic though hahahahaha, nice stuff :p. Forums with humor = awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom