how long did it take you to get rid of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Hello there-

My baby has been in treatment for high levels of coccidia.
My questions is to others that ave had their BD's treated for high counts-How long it took from beginning to end to get rid of....

We started at the vet on Aug. 21 and got a fecal and complete bloodwork, chest X-ray..etc.-----is on Albon now and have been back twice since then.

last fecal still shows the "count" is where it was originally.

I do trust my vet....he takes care of reptiles at a science museum and has reptiles of his own. Before he would even see me in the office he made me list my enclosure set up,temps, and even draw a diagram of the lighting, asked for brand-names and very detailed. (Like the experienced members here) (I passed - whooow :blob8: )

Again, I'm not looking for treatment options just time frames :) ....Thanks for any responses.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry but each dragon is different in the way that they handle coccidia counts & stress. So did the vet ever tell you what the coccidia levels were then?
Is your setup good, temps, etc?
Do you give probiotics during the medication rounds, & a few weeks after treatment? That can drastically help the stress levels because it helps their tummy upset.

Tracie

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":038b5 said:
Hello,

Sorry but each dragon is different in the way that they handle coccidia counts & stress. So did the vet ever tell you what the coccidia levels were then?
Is your setup good, temps, etc?
Do you give probiotics during the medication rounds, & a few weeks after treatment? That can drastically help the stress levels because it helps their tummy upset.

Tracie

Hi there Tracie-

Thanks for getting back to me...yes my set up is good...my vet and members here have looked it over.
I did buy the pet authority acidophiliz and he's eating well. If he's stressing....He's not showing it at all...

Guess I'm just being impatient :oops:

Thanks so much for getting back to me :)

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Coccidia can take a long while to get under control, the best thing you can do to help this is to keep a sterile "hospital" tank. Remove everything and only put back the bare essentials. What you do put back make sure it has been sterilized by either boiling it or steaming it. Whenever he poops spot sterilize. If he can't re-ingest the oocysts then the life cycle get's broken and the numbers start dropping.

When I used the hospital tank I was able to get the coccidia under control with just one round of meds. It's a big job but it's worth it! Good luck!

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
whiskersmom":3520f said:
Coccidia can take a long while to get under control, the best thing you can do to help this is to keep a sterile "hospital" tank. Remove everything and only put back the bare essentials. What you do put back make sure it has been sterilized by either boiling it or steaming it. Whenever he poops spot sterilize. If he can't re-ingest the oocysts then the life cycle get's broken and the numbers start dropping.

When I used the hospital tank I was able to get the coccidia under control with just one round of meds. It's a big job but it's worth it! Good luck!

Thanks for the reply......we are on our third fecal sample now and should be getting the results tomorrow. I do have him in a "hospital tank" with just his basking rock. I just got some advice to switch out his basking rocks to plastic ones but I'm nervous that the change will stress him out. I get the poop out and change the paper towels as soon as I see that he's pooped but I do work, so, sometimes if he goes during the day there is nothing I can do till I get home.

I hope it's over soon so I can switch him to a bigger viv where he can freely.....he looks so bored in there....he paces up and back along the glass just craving to run....

Wish us luck on our test results tomorrow. Thanks again for your reply.

Best wishes to you and our dragons.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going? You could try putting paper towels over the rocks so you don't have to make any major changes in the tank to stress him out. I hope he is feeling better. The acidophiliz should be helping out quite a bit for him.
Let us know if you need anything.

Tracie

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":5c707 said:
Hello,

How are things going? You could try putting paper towels over the rocks so you don't have to make any major changes in the tank to stress him out. I hope he is feeling better. The acidophiliz should be helping out quite a bit for him.
Let us know if you need anything.

Tracie

Hi there Tracie- :D
I'll take your advice on the towel over the rock ....I'd rather not have plastic rocks...

update -
Just called the vet's office and they said he is still "4+" (THIRD TIME) and want to change his meds :( .....it was one of the staff and not the vet so I asked them to have him call me. What other meds are out there for this (he is currently on Albon) Last time him and I spoke - he said the next option was something very expensive that they make for horses :shock: ???? I do trust my vet - he is very good but I like to have information of my own when I talk to him.

What are other meds than can be used to treat this ?

Any replies appreciated :D

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update-

Spoke to the vet....(called him on his cell phone per his offices instruction) (I thought that was pretty dedicated of him to give out his cell phone number on a Saturday...)
yes counts are as high as when we started...(third fecal 4+).he said that through the years some coccidia have evolved to be resistant to the Albon. Makes sense. He wants to use Marquis but says he's having trouble getting someone to sell him the correct quantity because apparently it comes in large amounts for horses. He says he's made phone calls but no one is returning his calls. He says it's terribly expensive to buy it too :mrgreen: . Great-That makes me soooooo happy :roll: ! j/k

Anyway-

Can anyone tell me if Ponazuril is the same thing as Marquis ?

Anyone know an alternative to Marquis ?

Any help thoughts appreciated :D

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Hi,
I just saw this post! I'm so sorry. It's so frustrating, but he will get better!
I have heard of a different medication, that's stronger (not the one I mentioned in my PM), but I don't remember the name of it. It was used in a case similar to yours (couldn't get it under control). Tracie or whiskersmom will know what it's called.
I started to message you back this morning, but then I had to feed the babies and go through the whole routine (about to give baths now)...so I had to take a break and take care of that (Taz was being difficult, pooped in his feeding tub, which is the worst place for him to poop. :roll: Plus, he's shedding and grumpy!) I'll finish it after baths and cleanings though.
Oh, the rocks, though. They aren't actually plastic, they are real rocks (or sure look like it lol), that have a flat bottom, fairly smooth top (just enough edges to help them with shedding), come in different sizes (they aren't tall though), and are super easy to clean. The hammocks I have are plastic/nylon though. Sorry for the confusion. I'll send you a link so you can see what rocks I'm talking about when I reply to your message. I'm working on trying to find/make a bigger hammock for Kaira, since her butt always hangs off :roll: ...I just have to find something as safe and easy to clean.
Anyways...I'll talk to you later,
Abi

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
You could ask him if 4+ means that he seen 4 in one field. If it was only 4 then that is pretty low and doesn't need to be medicated for it. A lot of vet's think that reptiles shouldn't have any coccidia but it's been discovered that beardies always have some levels at all times.
Is your beardie eating? Do you see any symptoms? If not, I don't think I would medicate him again if he's only seeing 4 coccidia per field.

Btw, do you have your beardie on a probiotic? Albon is pretty harsh and will remove the good gut flora that a beardie needs to digest his food. Probiotics replace what is removed.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
whiskersmom":a8293 said:
You could ask him if 4+ means that he seen 4 in one field. If it was only 4 then that is pretty low and doesn't need to be medicated for it. A lot of vet's think that reptiles shouldn't have any coccidia but it's been discovered that beardies always have some levels at all times.
Is your beardie eating? Do you see any symptoms? If not, I don't think I would medicate him again if he's only seeing 4 coccidia per field.

Btw, do you have your beardie on a probiotic? Albon is pretty harsh and will remove the good gut flora that a beardie needs to digest his food. Probiotics replace what is removed.

Hi wiskersmom, Hi Abi, :D My vet actually viewed it first and then sent it out to New York too, It was too many for him to count be he said it was over 100 at his best guess :shock: and the place they send it too says the actual 4+ as high....He was doing great (doubled his weight in just over three weeks) even on the Albon until a few days ago but now his appetite is decreasing to about half of what he was eating....but he is also in the middle of a shed so I'm not sure if it's the meds or the shed......but he didn't stop eating through his last shed so....don't know.
I asked my vet about the probiotics and he said he didn't know of any specific to reptiles.....I ordered acidopholiz+ anyway and showed it to him but when he read the ingrediants he says the "good" bacteria in it is for humans .....He wasn't really against it but didn't feel it was necessary. If his appetite decreases any further I will use it anyway. I really think he is a good vet ....I do think this is just a resistant strain....and it's time to change the meds. If you know of any other medicine names besides marquis please post them so I can make that suggestion to my vet. Really appreciated :D You guys are THE BEST!

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and replying :D

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Just real quick, still doing stuff, but my vet said that they don't know much about probiotics yet. She said that if I wanted to use them, then they may help. It's just not much is known yet...a lot of that is occuring due to the "recent" interest in beardies. So, I actually use acidopholiz+, for both Kaira and Taz. I recommend using a probiotic, but that's just my opinion.
Still working on a message, sorry.
Abi

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
amalsg07":f7050 said:
Just real quick, still doing stuff, but my vet said that they don't know much about probiotics yet. She said that if I wanted to use them, then they may help. It's just not much is known yet...a lot of that is occuring due to the "recent" interest in beardies. So, I actually use acidopholiz+, for both Kaira and Taz. I recommend using a probiotic, but that's just my opinion.
Still working on a message, sorry.
Abi

No worries Abi, you sound busy and he's not in a critical state, (I hope) PM if you get the chance....
Thanks again :D

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello there-

Figured I should update this incase someone stumbles accross it in a mad-panic for info (like I did when I got home from the vet.......)

Started with first HIGH Coccidia fecal count of 4+ on Aug. 21st, 2008
and
FINALLY an all-clear on Oct. 14, 2008

Thanks to everyone for their support and advice.
Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom