Stewie Is Doing Worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Stewie is going in for a biopsy today :cry:

His skin is actually quite a bit more yellow. The doc wants to make sure we are dealing with yellow fungus for sure before prescribing internal antifungal meds because its so hard on his liver. I guess we're about to get on another roller coaster ride here. Is there anything special I should do to help him tonight after he's been through anesthesia and has stitches? It could take up to 2 weeks to get the tests back! So after today I'm supposed to start the Nolvasan soaks again. Joy- he loves that.

The top of his head still has not shed in months. I have rubbed aloe on it a few times, and everytime I do it looks like he's bleeding underneath his skin. The vet said it looks like bruising from trauama or some kind of secondary infection..or maybe from whatever it is we are dealing with currently. I told him there has absolutely been no trauma. It isn't at all yellow there, and I just don't understand why it happens when I rub the aloe on him. I asked him if he was going to biopsy that area and he said he didn't want to because it appears to be so sensitive, but I don't have a clear idea of what this part of things could be, and i feel like he is sort of dismissing it. Alll in all I feel like he is a good vet, but it bugs me because on this issue I feel like he isn'yt listening.

The good news is, he isn't consistently eating, but is eating. He gained back 28 grams in about 4 weeks. And he is nice and active. Matter of fact, I moved him and Lola from my bedroom down to the family room. My toddler doesn't try to bother them anymore, and the beardies seem to be quite happy down here as they are getting much more attention and out-of-the viv adventure :blob8:

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I just got biopsy results TODAY and the surgery was a month ago. Yes We Have Yellow Fungus. :banghead:

I think all the Nolvasan soaks were making it worse because of all the moisture. So we have meds to do internally now, and it a course of one week on, 3 weeks off, and then another week on then re evaluate. I guess I should get some probiotics, but I don't remember what to get. And I don't quite understand, but he is not eating well, and the vet said it may affect his appetite. A few superworms a day, a few nibbles of veggies-maybe- I guess I need to start supplementing because he lost 18 grams in this past month. I've been trying to get him to eat on his own..but its not working out so well. :angry5:

leann

Juvie Member
Hi Elaina,

Sorry to hear that the yellow fungus is back :( For the probiotic, you can use Acidophiliz, Benebac or soy yogurt....hope he feels better soon..we send you well wishes

Leann

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The best probiotics are Benebac gel for reptiles/birds or Acidophilus. You might want to consider picking up Repti-Aid to have on hand in case you need it. Wow, took a month to find out that it was yellow fungus. :shock: I would also pick up babyfood chicken, squash, mixed vegetables, applesauce, mix a little bit of the chicken in a larger amt of squash with a little pedialyte or water to thin it down a little, use plastic medicine dropper and put drops on his nose for him to hopefully lick off. You don't want him to lose anymore weight so if he won't willingly lick it off, you should consider forcefeeding. Let us know how it goes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Poor Stewie, but at least you are on top of it. I know you can get rid of it. Keep at it, & definitely get some probiotics before starting the meds, ok? That will help him tremendously!
I hope he gets his appetite back soon. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Poor Stewie. We will keep him in out prayers. I had no idea yellow fungus could be sooo problimatic. I do hope the meds don't bring him down too. Hang in there .

Sandy H

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I will get the probiotics. The fungus was never better, and hopefully it won't come back after we treat it. It just seemed better because he was dry- no baths for 4 weeks because he couldn't get his stitches wet. Monday after they took the stitches out, I brought him home and we took a nice warm bath right away :lol: I've never seen him get out of the bath and purposefully get back in, and out, and in..It was adorable. And he drank sooo much. I have been giving him droppers of water and gatorade, but he never took a lot. He was quite happy.
We are quite familiar with the babyfood slurry, he loves it. I do have repti aid, that wouldn't hurt either. Looks like I'll be hitting the pavement tomorrow to get some gourmet beardie food :wink: I think I will have to order the benebac or acidopholus and that will take awhile to get here, and I will also be picking up his meds tomorrrow, so I hope that starting the bio's late won't hurt too much. Guess I can get some soy yogurt til then. I will put up the medicine name when I get it, Tracy, maybe you'll know it. Well..off to wrap up the babies, its late, gotta play housewife awhile. :?

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
always love to see a passionate, loving handler!!

KEEP IT UP!
-
Hey question?
I thought there was recent controversy over the digestability of yogurt? even soy?

Let me know!

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ummm.. No dairy for sure. I dunno about the Soy Yogurt controversy. News to me. :?:

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey! We just finished the first week of meds. We have to wait three weeks and then do one more week of meds and evaluate things. He seems to be feeling better already. He is perkier and last night he ate more than I have seen him eat in a couple of months. And on his own at that! He's exploring when we take him out- quite full of himself actually! He was hiding in my neck no matter when or how long I had him out. I can see patches of gray cropping up on his beard and a few other places, which means there is some fungus death goin on. Hopefully we have recovered the lost weight and he will keep moving towards 'better'. Thanks for asking! If anything signifigant happens I will post, I'm hoping for no news is good news :wink:

LJean

Extreme Poster
Glad to hear Stewie is feeling a bit better today. I so hope he continues to improve!

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much. He's been through quite a bit, and he is such a sweet little stinker :D The treatment time really sucks, it takes so long. With the potential to have to do another month of it all, I don't know if they will have to do another biopsy to see if its clear. I hate to see him go through it, not to mention the BILL :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom