Horatio! I'm NEW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastardbird

Hello! I'm a new member with a 6 month old named Horatio. I've had him since 9 weeks and boy has he grown! He's my first foray into the world of reptiles and I'm a complete novice, but he's been one of the best pets I've ever had (don't tell Torque - my King Shepherd though!!). Actually Torque loves him and helps me catch those stray crickets around the house - he stuns them and I take them back to Horatio! He's got red highlights on his face and loves to cuddle up when I read at bedtime. His beard tried to come out a few times and he looked more confused than anyone else!!! Right from the start he's enjoyed his lettuce (spring mix and romaine) and wolfs down crickets by the dozen.

I really don't know any of the proper terms - a friend who has a 2 1/2 yr old named Rupert got me interested and has guided me through - so I might ask stupid questions, but I need to learn!

Stupid question #1: How the heck do I post a pic on here???

Deborah and Horatio

ChrisCR261

Gray-bearded Member
To post a pic you need a image hosting site like photobucket (free, I use it, most people here do as well I believe). Tehn when your doing a post you just copy and paste the image option under the picture from the photobucket album to here, there is also an image button (img) on the posts while your typing them in rihgt under subject you can use, then type in the addy.

Most people here will advise you to not feed lettuce to your beardie, it's nutritional value is low and it contains mostly water. Romaine is fine but not a very good staple. Heres a link to a awesome food site,

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

bastardbird

Original Poster
Thanks Chris!! The info is much appreciated - especially the site on nutrition! My poor guy has gained a lot of weight but obviously needs much more than the lettuce! So I ran to the fridge and got some zucchini out - and he loves it! I swear he'll eat anything :lol:

Also - how do you feel about using bark?? I know to stay away from sand - and have been using the reptile bark - is that okay?

Here's a few pics from a few months ago - he's much bigger now - I'll have to measure him.

Horatio in his bed:
Horatio04.jpg
[/img]

Horatio as a little guy:
Horatio07.jpg

Horatio's friend Rupert:
Rupert.jpg

ChrisCR261

Gray-bearded Member
I use repticarpet atm, works nicely.

If I remember correctly Pine and Cedar bark can be toxic with the way it's treated, I'm not positive, but I know that there IS bark substrate that can be sold which is bad for em, maybe someone else can verify that it's Pine and Cedar or what they actually are.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Welcome Deborah and Horatio! I'm very new here, just got my beardie almost 2 weeks ago. I'm definitely a novice so I'll leave your question for those who know a little more.

I keep my guy on some sort of sand that the pet store recommended for beardies.

Nice to see you here :p

alicat

Hatchling Member
Many people use playsand for their adults....but anthing under 6 months should be on either retpile carpet, paper towels or newspaper...

Never use any kind of bark, their sticky little tongue can pull it up when eating and they can get impacted....good luck.

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
They can also be kept on tile or shelfliner. Welcome to the forum! I have to agree with everyone else, bark can be very bad for beardies, they can get impacted very easily, and some times it can be toxic for them, but I think there is some bark that is not toxic, not totally sure. Alicat, how old are your beardies? Beardies should not be on sand if their under the age od six months, and what type of sand is it? Playsand is the best there is (I think). :lol:

alicat

Hatchling Member
Barti1: The Two breeders that are on playsand are 3 years old(They are living with my friend until I buy my new house in August)...but the ones I just got(that you know about) are 5 weeks...they are on newspaper

bastardbird

Original Poster
Thanks for the warnings everyone!!! Good to meet you too! I'm gonna have to head to the Reptile Wrangler and get some other materials for underfoot! The stuff I'm using is called Repti Bark - and is 100% fir bark -they say it's a natural substrate and it's not harmful if ingested - but of course, as you say, impaction can occur! He's never had trouble going but there could be a time! Thanks a lot for the info!

Horatio's a really loving guy and will really appreciate better care, that's for sure!!

I can't wait to get some new pics in so you can see how big he is!

Hey Ozzy's Mom!

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
I can't wait either :lol: Have you measured him yet? Are you sticking with the bark or going to use another substrate?

bastardbird

Original Poster
Well, I just measured him - and he's a little over 15 inches long! I don't have a proper way to weigh him yet - but he's a hefty one!

The poor guy's waiting for his crickets - I'm picking up 500 today for the first time.

I'm just gonna stick with the bark until I find something better - cause my town doesn't have much in the way of reptile care. So I'll head out on the weekend and try the carpet.

Barti - do you have a pic of your guy/gal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom