Weirdie Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

katk

Hi, My Beardie has been acting weird off an on for a few months...at first I was wondering if he was trying to brumate or something. He's at least a year old, maybe older, and seems pretty healthy. We have his viv set up properly; correct UVB lighting (screen off most of the day so as not to block light), basking temps 90-97 and cool side 70-80 (the lower being overnight).

When he decides to eat, he has a healthy appetite, and he poops 1-2 x week. But he has this weird habit of not wanting to wake up. I mean, I have a lot of days where I don't want to get out of bed, but this guy takes it to an extreme. He puts himself "to bed" and goes and hides in his cool corner, and then won't move for days sometimes. He'll have his eyes open but will not move his body whatsoever for 24 hour periods. After a day or so I will usually pick him up and hold him a minute then put him on his basking log. After awhile there he'll want to eat and everything will seem normal- until he puts himself to bed and it starts all over again. Today was one of the days where I had to put him on his basking log and after an hour seemed excited to eat mealworms from my hand. But then when I was going to feed him for real an hour later, he had put himself to bed on the cool side again (it's late afternoon here). I had brought him his salad but he won't move. He'll eat mealworms if I feed him, but he won't move a muscle if I hold the mealworm even just out of reach.

Should I be concerned? Is he depressed??
109407-6655894946.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb please --- basking temps ? are you taking them w/ a digital probe thermometer ? and what are they?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
It sounds like he is in a semi brumative state. Some years my dragons do the same thing, (this is one of those years). Angel is presently doing the same thing yours is doing. You see, it isn't always a bad UVB setup that causes issues like some say. My UVB setup is top of the line and, my dragons do this too.

katk

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cdpj82a said:
What are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb please --- basking temps ? are you taking them w/ a digital probe thermometer ? and what are they?

It's a T5 Reptisun 10.0 UVB. Basking temps are generally between 93-97 most days. Yes, it's a digital probe.

katk

Original Poster
Gormagon":2bq279nm said:
It sounds like he is in a semi brumative state. Some years my dragons do the same thing, (this is one of those years). Angel is presently doing the same thing yours is doing. You see, it isn't always a bad UVB setup that causes issues like some say. My UVB setup is top of the line and, my dragons do this too.

It's not weird that it's during the summer? (Not that I understand how they would know anyway since we keep the temps stable in there all year round..) We're also the only ones in the country not experiencing hot weather here in the Bay Area..it's foggy and 60 degrees all morning...

When this happens to Angel do you just leave him/her alone? Do you try to offer food? How long does it last? Tofi has never brumated before so this is new to me, although it's been happening off and on for months now.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Their biological clock is set to Australian time (it is presently winter there now). They don't know it is summer here.
Yes I offer meals during this time and if they eat they eat (Charlie and, Angel) if they don't they don't. I will not force them to eat, but it's there if they want to.
I know that it can get frustrating at times but be patient.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure the UVB is unobstructed for screen unless its a WIDE hole type fine mesh will block 30% of the rays - distance needs to be 12-15 inches inside the tank directly over the basking decor piece and if its on top distance should be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor --- lack of UVB will cause sleep behavior as well as incorrect basking temps but those look good

katk

Original Poster
KarrieRee":11lqxqb6 said:
Make sure the UVB is unobstructed for screen unless its a WIDE hole type fine mesh will block 30% of the rays - distance needs to be 12-15 inches inside the tank directly over the basking decor piece and if its on top distance should be 8-10 inches directly over the basking decor --- lack of UVB will cause sleep behavior as well as incorrect basking temps but those look good

Yeah we take the top off during the day when he's on his basking log so it's unobstructed...but since he doesn't seem to want to get up, he's just in the cool corner with no UVB because the light doesn't cover that part of his tank.

katk

Original Poster
Hi again, I'm pretty sure Tofi is brumating now. He's fully inside his hidey log (pictured above) and sleeping, and has been like this for 3 days. (Too bad we just got a bunch of hornworms for him!)

This is his first time brumating so I'm so nervous! What do I do- do I just leave him alone? Do I give him food? What about UVB?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Leave him to his slumber and, keep an eye on him. Do not make him eat. Offer food when he comes out (he may not eat but offer anyway) it is best to let him do what comes natural.
I believe Angel is in a full brumation state right now as well (3 days now), crazy critters, lol!!!

katk

Original Poster
Gormagon":dziass0c said:
Leave him to his slumber and, keep an eye on him. Do not make him eat. Offer food when he comes out (he may not eat but offer anyway) it is best to let him do what comes natural.
I believe Angel is in a full brumation state right now as well (3 days now), crazy critters, lol!!!

Okay, thanks, I'll just leave him be then. This is so weird and freaky for me!! I'm about to give away all these hornworms we bought him...

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
katk":cjne8mel said:
Gormagon":cjne8mel said:

Okay, thanks, I'll just leave him be then. This is so weird and freaky for me!! I'm about to give away all these hornworms we bought him...
Ya, hornworms don't stay hornworms for long, lol!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom