Sores on both feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardieowner72

Hi All!
Scooter is 11 and (we think) a girl. She has identical sores on both of her feet (wrists/joints? not sure of proper terminology). She has had no health problems over her 11 years and Im not sure when these sores showed up or what could be causing them. Looking for constructive advice or answers!
111780-3274719706.jpg
111780-5638572532.jpg

edit: this is her set up! Based on other posts I believe the repetitive action of her climbing up her tree to the hammock could be what’s irritating her hands. Let me know thoughts! I do not believe her paper towel substrate to be an issue as she’s always been on paper towels and these sores are more recent. My last lizard ingested so much sand substrate that they got sick and I have been opposed to sand ever since but I am open to other suggestions of non- ingestable substrate options
111780-5219284054.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store cut to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution - something shes rubbing her feet against is obviously causing the sores --- the long stick part in the tank going towards the plant looks rough from the picture --- get some raw unpasteurized honey some thing like Manuka but any raw unpasteurized honey will work and put on the sores --- please do not feed crickets in the tank or leave any in there - they will go straight for the wounds --- honey will promote healing ---- as well the UVB --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it does look like injury from repeated climbing or rubbing on something in her tank.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized honey you could put on her feet?
As Karrie suggested, using non textured slate tiles, or even non adhesive shelf liner would
be easier on her little hands/feet. Colored felt looks nice also.
Let us know how she is doing. Hopefully her feet will heal up quickly.

Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, it does look like something repetitive. Does your dragon always lay in that position in the hammock? If so it would be a good idea to get some fleece and sew it over the hammock. Hammocks have an abrasive texture on the outer edges that could possibly cause an injury like this, and the way she is hugging the hammock in the picture tells me this is the culprit.
I hope she heals quickly.

beardieowner72

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone! I’m treating with raw unpasteurized honey and looking into buying or sewing a safe cover for the hammock. Will update :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are your dragon's little feet looking now? I hope that the honey is helping them out.
Were you able to get the hammock covered a little bit to avoid more irritation? I hope she
is feeling better!

Tracie

beardieowner72

Original Poster
Thanks for checking in Tracie!
The sores look about the same so far but we are treating with the raw unpasteurized honey and taken down her hammock while we wait for the new fleece one!

beardieowner72

Original Poster
Hello,

How are your dragon's little feet looking now? I hope that the honey is helping them out.
Were you able to get the hammock covered a little bit to avoid more irritation? I hope she
is feeling better!

Tracie
Hi tracie! Scooter’s sores are barely visible anymore and she now has a fabric hammock so I believe the plastic hammock (carried at all petsmarts!) was causing the sores. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom