Will the UVB Lighting Melt the Cable Ties Used

Status
Not open for further replies.

redborzoi

Beardie name(s)
Speck
hello, i was suggested i use cable ties to mount the uvb bulb inside of the tank. is this a good setup? will the cable ties melt from the heat of the UVB ? this is a 20 gallon temporary tank ^

[Broken link removed]

the lid doesn’t close fully as the light being mounted inside the tank prevents it but i think it’ll be fine.

downgrading to a 50 watt basking bulb as well as the 75 and 100 watt were too hot.

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
@gormagon so i should replace them every so often just in case? maybe every couple months ?

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
Gormagon":1xsav302 said:
whimperr":1xsav302 said:
@gormagon so i should replace them every so often just in case? maybe every couple months ?
About every 6 months would be fine.
thank you! i will make sure to do that.

and you think the placement of the UVB is fine ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does your fixture have a reflector in it? Depending on the bulb T 8 or a T 5 depends on distance - it looks like a T 8 -- if that is the case distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece w/ a reflector on the fixture -- it will direct the UVB rays downward toward him and that is what you want

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
A 20 gallon is a bit small for a dragon also it is hard to get the heat and lighting correct. I didn't see your dragon in the pic, how old is your dragon?
A 40 gallon breeder is the bare minimum for an adult sized dragon. At 3 months old that 20 is to small.
your UVB and basking light should be next to each other above the basking spot.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I have used 120L tubs for hatchlings, juveniles and smaller skinks for years.

I find it takes 2 - 3 years for the plastic side walls nearest to the UV lights degrade and become discolored and then brittle .

There are grades of cable ties that are UV stabilized , I'd get these if they will be close to UV source ( less than 15" ).

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
Gormagon":2lb2ka3b said:
A 20 gallon is a bit small for a dragon also it is hard to get the heat and lighting correct. I didn't see your dragon in the pic, how old is your dragon?
A 40 gallon breeder is the bare minimum for an adult sized dragon. At 3 months old that 20 is to small.
your UVB and basking light should be next to each other above the basking spot.
i have a 90 gallon ready for him once he gets bigger, he is currently 6 weeks old :)

and i’m not sure there’s a way for me to adjust the uvb underneath the basking light - do you have any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You do not want to put him in the 90 gallon till hes way older - you can partition it off when hes around 3 -4 months old and make it a 45 gallon- for a 20 gallon tank place the UVB width wise on one end of the tank w/ the screen sitting 3/4 on butt it up to the fixture then take a piece of basking decor directly underneath that is a T 8 correct ? 6-8 inches

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":1hmdk7l9 said:
You do not want to put him in the 90 gallon till hes way older - you can partition it off when hes around 3 -4 months old and make it a 45 gallon- for a 20 gallon tank place the UVB width wise on one end of the tank w/ the screen sitting 3/4 on butt it up to the fixture then take a piece of basking decor directly underneath that is a T 8 correct ? 6-8 inches

i will check the bulb in the morning as the bd is asleep-

do you mean something similar to this ? https://ibb.co/Xzv48Gt
if so where could i get a fixture that’s heat resistant similar to this ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont think any of them are heat resistant --- UVB bulbs are not hot but the plastic fixture will melt if its too close to the basking light - the babies UVB needs a reflector or new fixture - the older dragon what brand of fixture is it --- I would recommend getting a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia fixture at some point w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb - that would go right into the 90 gallon tank - are you moving the older dragon into a new tank as well - ? what size is he in now?

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":10e6mm2w said:
I dont think any of them are heat resistant --- UVB bulbs are not hot but the plastic fixture will melt if its too close to the basking light - the babies UVB needs a reflector or new fixture - the older dragon what brand of fixture is it --- I would recommend getting a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia fixture at some point w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia 12% bulb - that would go right into the 90 gallon tank - are you moving the older dragon into a new tank as well - ? what size is he in now?
currently he is in a 20 gallon and i’m not looking to upgrade the UVB bulb- just to move it into the correct placement

i’m thinking i should change the fixture it is in to a slim wall mounted one that won’t get melted by the basking light- if you have any suggestions for a fixture like that that will fit in my 20 gallon that would be great :)

i have a uvb for the 90 gallon - i can tell you the brand + fixture i have for it if you would like :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You do not want it on the back wall it should be directly over the decor - are you planning to house the dragons together? If so they should not be housed together ever- unless for breeding purposes - then they still need to be separated- as far as I know I have never seen a fixture for wall mounting unless house hold fixture and they do not have reflectors- I have never seen a 20 gallon tank either w/ a fixture mounted inside either-- all 20 gallons that I have seen the fixture has sat on top w/ screen off- the T 8 is perfect for the 20 gallon but it MUST be unobstructed for correct uvb-- I can post a pic of my 20 gallon when I had blaze in his if that would help

redborzoi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speck
KarrieRee":lbwx7973 said:
You do not want it on the back wall it should be directly over the decor - are you planning to house the dragons together? If so they should not be housed together ever- unless for breeding purposes - then they still need to be separated- as far as I know I have never seen a fixture for wall mounting unless house hold fixture and they do not have reflectors- I have never seen a 20 gallon tank either w/ a fixture mounted inside either-- all 20 gallons that I have seen the fixture has sat on top w/ screen off- the T 8 is perfect for the 20 gallon but it MUST be unobstructed for correct uvb-- I can post a pic of my 20 gallon when I had blaze in his if that would help
apologizes for the confusion- i only have one dragon and he will be moving from the 20 gallon i have currently into the 90.

and yes please a photo would be helpful. i’m just confused on how i’m supposed to have both UVB and basking bulb mounted in essentially the same spot as both of my my mounting fixtures are bulky.

and i am unable to remove the screen as i have cats which makes it unsafe for the beardie :( it would be so much easier without a lid haha. thanks so much for your input by the way!

if anyone else wants to weigh in on this please feel free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom