*HELP* My baby bearded dragon won’t bask!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure basking temps are 105-110 for a baby and you have the digital probe thermometer --- T 8's MUST be inside the tank directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches -- here are some things to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line - potted plant hangers --- or this stuff I use it in my tanks it works great -- its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

Make sure there is NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- if there is one take it off --- the bulb must be exposed for maximum UVB rays and make sure you change the bulb out in 5 months ---- they say 6 but I do 5 ---

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say hes got shed bothering him ---- take some regular saline solution and wash around his eye - it will help sooth it - I dont see any swelling -- but I do see I am thinking is shed - sometimes they swell -- his eye lid looks like it has shed on it -- also it is common for them to shut one eye at a time while basking --- if it was real swollen and draining etc then I would of been maybe concerned w/ infection but I am thinking hes got shed coming on-- stress marks can be caused by lots of things -- new tank and environment -- improper UVB or basking temps --- cat or dog in the room or bird -- give him some time and see if that new UVB gets rid of the marks ---

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Regular bottled water to rinse the eye shed, saline is basically sterilized salt water (aka..... saline=salt), I would think it would burn a bit. I know you ain't putting it in my eyes!!!!!!

Boazxavier000

I agree, ignore what the Petsmart people say. We had a similar, although indirect, experience with people from Petco. They are in the business of making money. They are not in the business of proper animal care. Every single thing that had been told/sold to the person we rescued our boy from was WRONG! With the help from the awesome people here on this forum, we now have a thriving happy dragon.
well, I disagree.
How can you say that just because you had a bad experience? Every story has 2 sides and this is your point of view. what from their side? They might be doing it for money up to some extent because they are in the business and they will think accordingly. It's not that easy to handle business.
I am saying this because I also run a local Pets business and for us, customers are like guests. and sometimes it is very difficult to satisfy customers. Each day we meet different kinds of customers. Don't blame employees you should have taken good care of your dragon. In the beginning, pets become sick due to various reason one of them is the change in environment.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Don't blame employees you should have taken good care of your dragon.
i don't see how a store giving bad information and selling harmful/inferior products to my boy's PREVIOUS owner equals me not taking good care of him. my care saved his life.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom