Basking surface temperature vs ambiant air temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddgoode

I have 2 Beardies, one male approximately 1 year old and a 2yo female. I purchased new tanks for both (67 gallon reptizoo) as that's the most I can afford to get.

I'm running the reptisun T5ho 10.0 bulbs (22") along the top- rear of the tank pushed all the way to the basking side, they run half way across the tank. I'm running a 160W basking bulb which is a uva/uvb bulb (possible overexposure to uvb) which is suspended above the tank about 6". I also run a small wattage regular house bulb on the cool side just for some light.

My ambiant air temperature on their basking side is about 91 degrees (using a digital thermometer with probe) and their actual basking spot temp according to my handheld Infrared thermometer is 96-98 degrees depending on the day. The cool side runs around 80-82 so im not worried about that. The humidity is between 35-40 on both sides so I'm not worried about that either.

The reason I'm asking is because my female has been going into her hide daily but is wide awake sitting right by the door. She loves me to death as she cuddles up on my shoulder and goes to sleep quite often, so it isn't out of fear of me, I spend lots of time with them and talk to them more than I do my partner. There are no other pets that come upstairs where they are and I never allow them to see each other (I have a cardboard piece specifically cut to cover the tank front when the other is out and I have a tank surround covering the remaining sides) I'm just hoping that she just really loves her hide. They both get baths 1-2 times a week and weighed weekly (no weight loss and the younger one is gaining normally) during shedding I mist them in the morning when I do their food and then I put them into their water dish, which they get out when ready and goto basking spot to dry off

My question is, Is this a good setup? Does the ambiant air temperature around the basking spot need to be hotter? I'd take pictures but I'm not exactly sure how to post pictures yet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like a good setup to me. I adjust lighting based on surface temps. I tweak it based on my dragon's preference (based on observing behavior). If he avoids the hottest basking surface I bring the temp down a bit, if he is basking often right in the hottest part, I'll bump the temps up a bit. Generally he likes temps in the high 90s to up around 103 or so, but that varies between dragons.

If she is hiding, she may just want to be in shade or in an enclosed area. If everything else seems OK I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Moved by moderator from Advanced Discussion to Enclosures.

buddgoode

Original Poster
Thanks, yes I do Raise or lower my basking lights depending on surface temp up keep them at our around 95-97. I think she just really likes her hut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom