Correct Distance for T5 HO 10.0 in Reptisun Terrarium Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjm25

I am setting up my beardie's Zen Habitats terrarium (48x24x24) and am trying to setup the proper distance between her and a T5 HO 10.0 UVB in a 24 inch Reptisun Terrarium Hood. In the guides on the Zoo Med website, it recommends around 8-10 inches but in other resources, I see that if mounted inside the distance should be increased (especially if the hood has a reflective surface inside). Any recommendations? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With that hood/bulb combo I would set it up around 12'' (roughly) above the main basking area.

mjm25

Original Poster
CooperDragon":h250tfhn said:
With that hood/bulb combo I would set it up around 12'' (roughly) above the main basking area.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to sort out how to get the UVB above her basking area but not too close to the basking bulb (since the basking fixture is above the screen top and the UVB fixture is below). The way I have it setup currently is the basking bulb is roughly in the front left side of the tank and the UVB is hanging down more in the center left side, angled slightly to point toward the front towards the basking log (cannot post an image currently because it does not work on mobile, but can later if needed).

I did purchase a Solarmeter 6.5R to gather some metrics based on where it is now. According to data sheets I have, the recommended UVI is 2.6 to 3.5+, but not past 6.5/7. On her basking log, is there a recommended level? For the rest of the tank? As of now it is within that range and if she walks off her log to other areas, she can get closer to get as high as 4+ and others very low (to escape the UVB).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can set the UVB light to the rear next to the basking lamp and that should be OK. It will just create a gradient along the depth of the enclosure (this is how I have mine set up). It will be great to have a Solarmeter to check everything out for sure. I generally shoot for 3-6 UVI in the most intense basking spots. 3-4 is pretty common and my dragon often likes to hang out in areas around 1-2UV with surface temps in the mid-high 90s. As long as you measure a good variety of options, they are pretty good at moving about to find what they want at a given time.

Another benefit of having the Solarmeter is that you'll be able to check output and know when to replace the bulb. Some of my Arcadia bulbs are still going strong after 4+ years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom