8 yo beardie hasn’t pooped in 17 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
18 days ago I adopted an 8 yo female beardie
I had her vetted and other than being “chubby” she is healthy
The day we brought her home she pooped but hasn’t since
She doesn’t eat much for her greens. Picks here and there and I’ve tried it all squash, red pepper, kale, mustard greens.
I gave her a bath for an hour yesterday and 30 min today.
Yesterday I gave her a little banana and applesauce.
Today applesauce again.
Since then she has only one day eaten 10 super worms.
Her basking side is between 90-100 and humidity around 50

Cool side is 80 and humidity around 55

She had 100 watt basking bulb and 2- 13 watt UVB/UVA bulb

What else can I do? She’s older and before I spend another $300 for a vet visit l, bloodwork, etc I’m hoping someone can help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the 13 watt bulbs--- they are No good- please invest in a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb--- please do this ASAP--- those coils cause all kinds of health problems they are inadequate- when you get the new uvb-- please post back on here so we can get you set up w/ proper placement

Kkochanski

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2xlww4ec said:
Please get rid of the 13 watt bulbs--- they are No good- please invest in a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb--- please do this ASAP--- those coils cause all kinds of health problems they are inadequate- when you get the new uvb-- please post back on here so we can get you set up w/ proper placement

This is what I am currently using. It’s what the previous owner used. Is this wrong?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BJG8E7O?ref=detail_main_image_block_ivx_share

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes -- get rid of it and get what I posted please ASAP-- get a 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have pictures of your girl?
As suggested, you will need to replace the UVB compact/coil bulb to a long fluorescent tube
bulb instead. The T5 bulbs mentioned are very good & last a good amount of time.
She may be having some calcium issues due to poor calcium absorption from not having
adequate UVB exposure.
Can she walk & climb normally?

Tracie

Kkochanski

Original Poster
Drache613":170jvekr said:
Hello,

Do you have pictures of your girl?
As suggested, you will need to replace the UVB compact/coil bulb to a long fluorescent tube
bulb instead. The T5 bulbs mentioned are very good & last a good amount of time.
She may be having some calcium issues due to poor calcium absorption from not having
adequate UVB exposure.
Can she walk & climb normally?

Tracie

Yes. She can walk and climb. She gets on and off her log and her cave she climbs to the the top. She is not very active but that is her personality. The vet did x rays and said her bones are good. We also brush her protein with calcium. I am going to the store today to her a new bulb. She is not dehydrated either. I checked her skin and the the eye test (you push lightly on a little area behind to see if her eye bulges a bit).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can try the pet stores for the fixture I recommended most do not carry this length - please get the T 5 not the T 8 most carry that size ---- go here and order it please --- do not get any of these brands Thrive or Zilla get the Reptisun
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651 24" fixture these sell out very fast
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb
Sorry but one place was out of one and the other out of the other one--- but this is what you need --- this a good buy on the hood ---

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's not uncommon for adult dragons to not poo for a long period, especially taking in to account the stress from a move . Anyway, it's not a medical issue needing a vet, my own dragons have done this very same thing over the years. She will eventually go ! :) No need for a stressful, long bath either. Just a quick warm 10 minute soak 1-2 times a week at most. You can also get baby food squash + sweet potato, it's nutritious and is a natural laxative. Aside from that, just be patient and she will work it out . :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, any improvements?
I'm glad to hear she is able to move without any problems right now.
I agree, a lot of adults do tend to have long periods of time between when they go to the
bathroom. It is pretty normal for them.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Kkochanski

Original Poster
Drache613":3e4br5qq said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, any improvements?
I'm glad to hear she is able to move without any problems right now.
I agree, a lot of adults do tend to have long periods of time between when they go to the
bathroom. It is pretty normal for them.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

We have the new light coming Monday and she ate more yesterday than before. She is alert but still no BM. Praying soon since yesterday was first time she ate a decent amount of greens.

Kkochanski

Original Poster
Everyone!!!!!
One gigantic BM today!!!!! I think we finally got the right light, location and temp!! She’s eating and finally went! Thanks for all the support!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good deal -- so where did you put the UVB and what kind of screen do you have? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type of screen ?

Kkochanski

Original Poster
KarrieRee":15y167dl said:
Ok good deal -- so where did you put the UVB and what kind of screen do you have? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type of screen ?

Not using the screen anymore. One lamp on a hook and hood angled across top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom