Female bearded dragon head bobbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexgr21

Hi, I’ve had my female bearded dragon, Buddie, for little over a year now (I believe shes a little over 1 year old) and she seems perfectly healthy! However, recently she’s been bobbing her head a lot and scratching at the walls.

A little bit after she wakes up at 8, she starts to go crazy in the tank, usually I take her out a little after so she can tire herself outside, and when she is back in her tank she relaxes and just basks or hides/lays in her trunk. Sometimes though she avoids being touched completely so I leave her alone.

For the head bobbing, I’ve never seen her do it before until now, and it’s basically a daily occurrence. I’m not sure if it’s because she’s wanting to mate or she’s uncomfortable with something in the tank, but I’m just concerned is all.

Lexgr21

Original Poster
108978-7065253807.jpg

Here’s a picture. The vet is the one who told me she was a female when I first got her. Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok she is female- is there another dragon in the room or can she see her reflection ?

Lexgr21

Original Poster
108978-8497640304.jpg

She’s the only dragon there and I doubt it’s because of her reflection since she scratches at the walls where she can’t see herself too. The only place she can see herself is in front of her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well shes got a nice tank - must be a hormonal thing --- I wasnt really aware of females doing the head bobbing thing but anything is possible -- is she trying to dig? She may be gravid --- have you felt for eggs?

Lexgr21

Original Poster
That’s what I’m not too sure about, I had a big pan of dirt and I would try to put her in it to see if she would start digging and she doesn’t bother at all. So I put a little dish of dirt in her tank in case she wants to. Sometimes I hear her scratching in the log when she’s faced towards the wall, which I’m assuming is her trying to dig? But she usually does that before she goes to sleep or gets comfortable in a corner.

For the eggs, I haven’t actively felt around, but I haven’t noticed anything out of the norm. Not too sure how to feel for that? I feel like it’s something hormonal at this point, but her behavior has just came out of nowhere.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Normal scratching for when they settle down and go to sleep most dragons do that my 2 males do it in their hides- frantically and actively digging glass surfing would be a female trying to find a place to lay- feel her abdomen see if you can feel for eggs- I am going to refer your post to AHBD she's more of the person you want to talk to and even drache613 - she's out vet tech mod

Lexgr21

Original Poster
I felt around, and I don’t think I feel anything. She has a vet appointment soon though, so maybe they can find it better than me! And thank you for the recommendations, do I just message them separately?

Fancy22

I felt around, and I don’t think I feel anything. She has a vet appointment soon though, so maybe they can find it better than me! And thank you for the recommendations, do I just message them separately?

Did you figure out a reason by chance? Our female is doing the exact same thing every morning.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update on your dragon please

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Did you figure out a reason by chance? Our female is doing the exact same thing every morning.
How fast is she head bobbing? If its fairly quickly it could be an expression of exitement or interest. If its happening when you turn on the viv lights she may just be seeing herself suddenly reflected in the glass and is challenging her reflection and letting them know that the territory is hers.

If its a slow bob and possibly combined with an arm wave then this is a sign of submission. Again she may be seeing herself reflected in the glass and is just letting the reflection know she's not looking for trouble :)

Its also coming up to the point in the northern hemisphere when a lot of beardies will soon be looking for a mate.

As long as there are no obvious health issues I wouldn't worry. Head bobbing in both male and female Beardies is a perfectly normal communication cue

Fancy22

How fast is she head bobbing? If its fairly quickly it could be an expression of exitement or interest. If its happening when you turn on the viv lights she may just be seeing herself suddenly reflected in the glass and is challenging her reflection and letting them know that the territory is hers.

If its a slow bob and possibly combined with an arm wave then this is a sign of submission. Again she may be seeing herself reflected in the glass and is just letting the reflection know she's not looking for trouble :)

Its also coming up to the point in the northern hemisphere when a lot of beardies will soon be looking for a mate.

As long as there are no obvious health issues I wouldn't worry. Head bobbing in both male and female Beardies is a perfectly normal communication cue
It’s more the temperament change going along with it. She has always been on the mello side but over the last week she just goes crazy in the mornings for 3-4 hours. She also will get the black beard and just seems stressed along with eating vary little. Also when she is out now she will walk or run like normal but every time she stops moving she head bobs.No arm wave just the bobbing.

Side note we have done no inclosure changes at all, temps are also good, she is coming up on 1 year old, no other dragons, 48x18x18 Carolina customs tank, it’s gone on long enough it’s concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom