Beardie is black in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredthebeardie

This is the second time my beardie has turned ”black” in the morning, his body, under his belly and his beard. I have a night time heat lamp that sits at 28* under the lamp and 25* in his cave. He usually goes back to colour after I turn on his daytime heat lamp and warms up more to about 40* under the bulb.

Just wanting to know if it’s normal for this to happen as I am quite concerned

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is the nite time heat lamp a colored bulb? You do not need heat in the tank at nite if its 65 or higher- when it starts dropping below 65 then you would need a heat emitter - they produce NO light -- usually when they are black in the morning like that they are absorbing heat --

Fredthebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3aeumm0t said:
Is the nite time heat lamp a colored bulb? You do not need heat in the tank at nite if its 65 or higher- when it starts dropping below 65 then you would need a heat emitter - they produce NO light -- usually when they are black in the morning like that they are absorbing heat --

It’s a purple nigh light, without it his tank drops way to cold (around 10-15 Celsius)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the purple light --- they are harmful to the dragons eyes and can cause long term eye damage - dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators and that light is keeping him up all nite - dragons like cool and dark NO light--- please get a heat emitter - you will need a dome w/ a ceramic socket and depending on how big the tank is will go by the wattage of the bulb --- they look like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-repticare-ceramic-heat-emitter-59814.html?cgid=500202
Please do this ASAP -- do not use it anymore the heat emitter can be placed on top of the screen in the center of the tank - I use them in the winter time and they keep the dragons tanks around 70 F - you can use a stick on for the temp or your digital probe will also give you the ambient temp as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom