Bearded dragon discharge what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rextheman

I have a four-year-old bearded dragon, I’ve had him for about a month and a half and for the last couple weeks he’s been waking up with his eyes shut because of a discharge and I have to clean it up mostly every day & it’s not easy; so he can open his eyes. What do I do? I read someone else’s forum on a similar topic but I need more information and links to where to buy The right & safe ointment & the right lighting. I have the one where it’s 2 in one UBA & UBV powersun by zoo med. 160 watt. I need info ASAP I’m worried about my
Beardie.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 160 watt is what distance from the basking decor -- this is a post from someone who uses them
The 100w should be at around 12'' above the main basking area for both models. Best not to have a mesh screen in between. If there is a mesh screen, then moving up to a higher wattage (160w I believe in both cases) and slightly raising the distance to maybe 14-16'' or so would be good
I would recommend you get another UVB into the tank either a T 5 or a T 8 --- the T 8 needs to be inside the tank but a T 5 can sit on top if the screen is a wide hole type if its a fine mesh then it would need to go into the tank -- this is a T 8 https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/reptisun-terrarium-hood.html this takes a 18" bulb and needs changed out every 6 months I recommend a month prior to
this is a T 5 https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
it would need 22" bulb --- I would recommend the T 5 they are a better stronger bulb -- the bulb needs changed out once a year I recommend a month prior to
What are you using for a substrate ? No sand please---- you can get w/ Tracie about the eye ointment - teramyacin I believe its called --- post pics of the eye first so she can see it --- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the tip of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- what is in the second dome of the MVB? NO coils please -- in the meantime you can try washing the eye out w/ some saline solution NO contact lens stuff --
I will flag this post to Tracie

Rextheman

Original Poster
I used to have sand for like the first week of having him and switched to newspaper because my sis in law uses that for hers & said she hasn’t had a problem with it & easier to clean I also have 3 hammocks in the tanks so he spends most his time up there he only comes down to run around the cage in the mornings other than that he’s pretty lazy during the day he actually sleeps all day and night after the morning & he doesn’t chase food I have to hand feed him greens & worms he doesn’t like crickets. & I already bought an ointment on chewy.com, another reptile website recommended, it’s the white an yellow packaging “Terramycin Olpthalmic Ointment” by Zoetis. I also bought the T5 ubv thing you recommended.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok please get him a staple feeder like dubia roaches silk worms or BSFL --- if you get the BSFL you will need to get a lot of them they are small so order large and DO NOT DUST THEM --if you need websites for the insects I can post some for you---- Please post a pic of him so we can see the eye --- the MVB could be the issue here -- I would swap it out for a bright white basking bulb and see what happens- since your using a good UVB and no sand I am suspecting its the MVB --- so the only way to rule that out is get a bright white basking bulb like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb and go from there -- you need to find the cause of the issue -

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you using a mercury vapor bulb? The roaches are a good staple feeder + worms are not unless your feeding silk- I will post a link to post pics

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
a bright white basking bulb like a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb-- replace the PowerSun w/ that and then watch and see what the eye does --- get some regular saline solution NO contact lens stuff and was his eye out - get the bulb swapped out and see what happens --- start there --- if its still bothering him get some raw unpasteurized honey and apply to the eye -- if there is a eye infection going on the honey is going to kill it ---

Rextheman

Original Poster
111202-2753305533.jpg

His eye after cleaning it, I bought some eye solution for pets on Amazon and i mean I don’t know if it’s working or not, maybe it is the light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your bright white basking bulb is going to supply the UVA --- I use the Exo Terra bulb that I posted --- just make sure your getting the temp after replacing the MVB---- this is going to be trial and error to one see if it clears the eye up and to see if he has a actual infection going in the eye --- get that bulb changed out ASAP and see what happens --- it is a matter of ruling out the cause

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Agmart or Tractor supply might have the ointment your looking for or Tracies website
https://bug-de-lite.com/ if your going to use the ointment please get a hold of Tracie (Drache613) -- but I want you to narrow the cause down --- you haft to find the cause before you can fix it --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom